What language do they speak in Spain?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
QUOTE=2dlight;1879330]I too attended public school in Santo Domingo up to the sixth grade. When Trujillo was assassinated, the school I was attending, La Paraguay, was burned down and we took classes at Instituto Salome' Urena for a while. I remember a high degree of discipline and no-nonsense teachers during those school years. It was not unusual to get struck over the knuckles or open palms with an 18 inch ruler in those days. When I arrived in New York in February, 1963, in the dead of winter, I was placed in fifth grade. I knew two words in English: yes, no. It was total immersion the rest of the way.

you got lucky 2D, I was put back 2 grades also in the dead of winter, lol.[/QUOTE]

--------

Oh, no. That's too bad.

When my parents took me to Puerto Rico, to start 9th grade, my first English teacher concluded I was too far behind in comparison to my classmates, and insisted on placing me with the 7th graders. I vehemently refused. Over and over...

She stopped grading my exams, and assigned me a 'D' grade permanently. She practically ignored me, refusing to acknowledge me when I raised my hand to answer questions. And I was just a kid, recently arrived from the D.R. and wiling to learn, but treated unfairly. Hated those days: Classmates ridiculing me left and right: Dominica no piki ingli...

SHORTLY afterwards, English teacher was replaced. The new one knew nothing about me.

By the end of the school year, the kid was #1 IN CLASS. I came; I saw; I kicked their butts.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Sometimes I feel the urge to teach when I finally move back home. However, I feel that I would fail miserably: I'm not patient enough, and I will NOT tolerate certain habits.

I could probably do it free of charge, and that would ensure that whomever I'm trying to help, would display a modicum of honesty and willingness to learn.

Actually, when you do school for free you actually have less responsibility from the students because they are not invested. Even a nominal fee is better than nothing. Sometimes I do favors for people I know and it works out, but generally speaking free doesn't mean "honesty and willingness to learn." (source: i run a non-profit school in Cienfuegos Santiago - we charge between 0-400 pesos a month, includes breakfast and all of their supplies, and without a doubt those who pay 0 are the least invested in their children's education).

And as far as teacher training goes here - it's terrible. The teachers who teach use the same terrible pedagogy that damaged the system in the first place. Even if they teach better methods in theory, it's a "do as I say not as I do" system. (Source: teach education students at the PUCMM)

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Ask similar questions in the United States - do you think 1 American in ten could tell you where Santo Domingo was

OMG. What Is the point of Your post?   Are you actually comparing an American's education with dominicans?  Because You cannot.  Where Santo Domingo "was"? Or where Santo Domingo is?

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
The first time I flew here, in 1975, I had no clue where I was going, a friend got the tickets and just said to pack like I was going to Puerto Rico. In all fairness, I’d she’d said Ciudad Trujillo I would have known, because my Social Studies teacher covered the revolution as it was happening 

Not long ago, I was talking to someone back in USA and they said they never heard of anyone going to the Dominican Republic. I nodded and asked “How about Punta Cana?” Oh of course, all the time. 

Of course because the marketeers have decided Dominican Republic  (the country) just unimportant for the mass consumerism they have decided upon. And it has worked thus far.  Punta Cana. People at least in US still do not know what to call the country!  Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo ....does not seem to matter to most of the people that are attracted to those lovely all inclusives. I have seen some of these (by the way most seem pretty brutish and uneducated to me) They arrive at airport and don't even know name of hotels they are staying at. They flock to the many many many buses probably with color coated codes.  And not too intelligent.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just had a flashback to that first trip, going to the Zona Colonial and seeing Ciudad Trujillo in raised letters on the manhole covers, streets and sidewalks.  That’s when I knew where I was. 

I’m thinking they’ve all been replaced.  ???????

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Ask similar questions in the United States - do you think 1 American in ten could tell you where Santo Domingo was

Why are you making a comparison to the US when the video and my comment is regarding the DR? 

I find these comparisons pointless because any change that can be made to help the situation will be with respect to the DR and the education system there. As well, being a non-American that I am it really does not matter to me if an American knows where Santo Domingo is or not.

-MP.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
When my parents took me to Puerto Rico, to start 9th grade, my first English teacher concluded I was too far behind in comparison to my classmates, and insisted on placing me with the 7th graders. I vehemently refused. Over and over...

She stopped grading my exams, and assigned me a 'D' grade permanently. She practically ignored me, refusing to acknowledge me when I raised my hand to answer questions. And I was just a kid, recently arrived from the D.R. and wiling to learn, but treated unfairly. Hated those days: Classmates ridiculing me left and right: Dominica no piki ingli...

SHORTLY afterwards, English teacher was replaced. The new one knew nothing about me.

By the end of the school year, the kid was #1 IN CLASS. I came; I saw; I kicked their butts.

Was the PR school curriculum ever English only?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Was the PR school curriculum ever English only?

No. This was a public school, but much less demanding than what I was accustomed to in D.R. And only the English classes were more advanced. Overall, P.R. kids appeared spoiled and not used to having much homework assigned.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

I had a conversation last night with a sixty something dominicana living in New York. One of the participants here in Santo Domingo asked me the capital of New York. She insisted it was Washington. That being said, man on the street interviews like this happen In the USA all the time with similar results. It's difcicult to get proper funding for education when defunding produces such wonderful results at the polls.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I had a conversation last night with a sixty something dominicana living in New York. One of the participants here in Santo Domingo asked me the capital of New York. She insisted it was Washington. That being said, man on the street interviews like this happen In the USA all the time with similar results. It's difcicult to get proper funding for education when defunding produces such wonderful results at the polls.

Nothing to do with amount of funds spent.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
New York and Washington DC spend the most per student in the country and they are far from the top in quality of education.

That goes for everything.

NY and DC are two of the most expensive states within the union, hence what you see derives from there and not necessarily because good money is being used for good education.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Rich Dominicans should hire folks strictly for home-schooling, in addition to the other 5 servants: the cook, the laundry lady, the gardener, the babysitter, and the gofer...

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
So, if you Know any super-rich Dominicans, please spread the word:

Coming to the easternmost province near you in 2019, an higüeyanito man-child who could help your young ones understand two of the three Rs (Sorry, no 'rithmetic): from the Gulag Archipiélago to exoplanets, geography, 20th-century U.S. politics, as well as all things Atatürk, Macondo, Scalia's dissents, and all before your child reaches middle-school age, while traveling on the road to a perfect ACT/SAT, Yale, and Rhodes scholarship...

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Lets give the RD kids a break!
There are many that just do not have the initiative to study simply because they come from very poor families who only know that work is necessary to live. Earning a living comes from hard work.
My Espossa was told that girls do not have to get a ''school Education''... they need to learn planting, milking cows and house work.
Her father can't even tell time.

On the other hand I have never seen so many ''Professional Days Off'' for teachers (Private School) in my life.
It is frustrating enough that I have decided to take them to Nova Scotia where they only have ''snow Days'' off.... then have to make them up at years end.
I taught at University , Community College , Military Schools, and special Industrial Training Programs.
But, I would never want to be a School Teacher in the Public or private sectors.
Just far too thankless.
I think Lucifer has a good idea.
Become a Tutor for those who want their children to get into Ivy League or just a good university abroad.

I hope Lucifer does this and does well.

Russell

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
So I was chatting with some locals in PVR last night.  I was informed that Mexicans speak Spanish and Spaniards speak Castilian.  FWIW.