What prevents Coups in DR

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Tony if your last post were to be totally correct Bacardi would still be known as a Cuban rum and you my friend would be spending your weekends in Varadero instead of the keys.

If the political balance tilts too far in either direction the powers that be will eventually correct it, in most cases the fist stone is thrown my the military itself.

Balaguer had an incredible sense of this balance. Even in his last years in office one can note his skill at this surprising everyone by embrasing leftest comunity leader Virtudes Alvarez. Weeks later not a word from this person without the need of one shot fired or intervention from the military. It is like in the business world, negotioations take place and everyone goes home happy.

If the ideological balance does not go too out of wack, problems will be solved economically on all fronts, not just with the military

Tony C said:
I Have been following this thread with amusement as I read everyones "high-brow" thoughts about how the DR prevents coups.
It is so simple. $
Just like every revolution and coup in history it is about Money and the power that goes along with it.
As long as the Generals and other officers are happy and milking the system dry you will not have a coup in the DR. The 1st Dominican President that trys to stop the Officer's gravy train will be the 1st Dominican President removed by a coup since Bosch.

Yes, I think you are on point there Tony. It is usually some member of the military that becomes disgruntal and has enough charisma to attract a following to pull off a coup. So can we say the Dominican Military is happy???

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
As a follow-up to my last post:

I can give an example during the PLD government there exisited a government subsidized program called PEME, which basically gave cash donations to key "sour" members of the poorer comunities or "trouble-making" comunity leaders if you may.

This program was attacked by the current PRD admin. although everyone knows the benificiaries of said plan were PRD members themselves.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tony, when I read what you posted:

As long as the Generals and other officers are happy and milking the system dry you will not have a coup in the DR. The 1st Dominican President that trys to stop the Officer's gravy train will be the 1st Dominican President removed by a coup since Bosch.

It was like deja vu all over again. ;)

A government that knows which side its bread is buttered will pander to the army's every whim, and in return, the army will not depose it. Aristide disbanded the Haitian army, DR governments provide the army with excessive funding.

Third post on the thread. Copyright yours truly.

Chiri

Chirimoya said:
Tony, when I read what you posted:

It was like deja vu all over again. ;)

Third post on the thread. Copyright yours truly.

Chiri

Its unfortunate that the Military leadership has so much flexiblity in many of the poorer countries. Checks and balances are non existent. Similar to ancient empires, without the empire of course. Loyalty is not to the country but to the General(s). They will dictate the stability of the nation.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Narcosis said:
Tony if your last post were to be totally correct Bacardi would still be known as a Cuban rum and you my friend would be spending your weekends in Varadero instead of the keys.

You just proved my point. Fidel takes very good pains to take care of his Military leaders. In fact during his recent economic crisis in which he has had to cut his military budget he has placed many Generals and colonels in charge of State run business.

Tony C said:
You just proved my point. Fidel takes very good pains to take care of his Military leaders. In fact during his recent economic crisis in which he has had to cut his military budget he has placed many Generals and colonels in charge of State run business.

But in the mean time allowing 500 Americans to study in his country to become doctors on a 100% free medical school scholarship. Go figure.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
sancochojoe said:
But in the mean time allowing 500 Americans to study in his country to become doctors on a 100% free medical school scholarship. Go figure.
And not one of those idiots will be able to practice medicine in the U.S. with a Cuban medical school degree......Go Figure

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
sancochojoe said:
Its unfortunate that the Military leadership has so much flexiblity in many of the poorer countries. Checks and balances are non existent. Similar to ancient empires, without the empire of course. Loyalty is not to the country but to the General(s). They will dictate the stability of the nation.

I read this and I remember Hipolito's Pegasus(one of the peaks of choperia in this administration) wich was a gift from the commander of the AirForce and the Army chief giving money hand outs from a PRD envelope. Lets face it, our military has turned to another bunch of lambones and pseudo-politicians.

Tony C said:
And not one of those idiots will be able to practice medicine in the U.S. with a Cuban medical school degree......Go Figure

Actually 80 of them already are practicing in the states. Cuba has one of the best medical schools in the world. Go Figure.

They were doing new registrations here in the Capital(Washington DC) this past saturday and one in NY City.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
sancochojoe said:
Actually 80 of them already are practicing in the states. Cuba has one of the best medical schools in the world. Go Figure
QUOTE]

You are wrong. No Doctor with a degree from a Cuban medical school issued after 1966 can practice in the US unless they are a Cuban Refugee. Even then it takes tons of paperwork

Tony C said:
sancochojoe said:
Actually 80 of them already are practicing in the states. Cuba has one of the best medical schools in the world. Go Figure
QUOTE]

You are wrong. No Doctor with a degree from a Cuban medical school issued after 1966 can practice in the US unless they are a Cuban Refugee. Even then it takes tons of paperwork

I would like to see your reference because its not the degree that allows you to practice but passing the Medical Exam in the states. There is no prohibition to practice medicine if you were trained abroad including Cuba.
There is a prohibition of purchasing or doing business with cuba not being educated. Studying medicine is under the category of humanitarian issues and the states does not block that. And if iyou were correct, the US would no allow them to enter Cuba and spend 6 years of study and returning to the states every summer between each school year. I was at the seminar this past saturday in DC. I rather take their word for it than yours.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Gabby,like most Dominicans can NEVER accept responsibility

for their own actions!If the DR has corrupt governments,it is the "fault" of the United States! Just once I would like to hear a Dominican say;"Yes,we do drink too much",or "yes we do lie a lot","Yes,we beat our wives","Yes we steal a lot"! But since you must first recognize that there is a "problem" before you can solve it,that will Never happen!CCCCCC

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
mami said:
what are coups?

That's where a disgruntled group of people (mainly military) depose the existing administration of a country and take over for themselves and/or install their own people.

For a better definition, I refer you to Webster's Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language.

Texas Bill

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
The Better Question Is ...

Here you post "What are coups?" Not five minutes ago in another thread you asked "What are sankies?", all after asking what does "hijacked" mean in response to Narcosis. She just posted "sorry i don't understand that term [Hoo-boy] either."

What are you?

Sounds like, Uncle Bill, you need to explain to her what "counting coup" means.

Tom aka XR Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

Last edited:

mami

Mar 16, 2004
?

XanaduRanch said:
Here you post "What are coups?" Not five minutes ago in another thread you asked "What are sankies?", all after asking what does "hijacked" mean in response to Narcosis.

What are you?

sorry. i'm kinda new to these threads. just trying to figure them out. so do you have an answer for me? or just criticsm.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
mami said:
sorry. i'm kinda new to these threads. just trying to figure them out. so do you have an answer for me? or just criticsm.
No need to be sorry. But this really isn't a dictionary forum to explain basic words. No offense. Use a dictionary like Bill said. I find it odd that you can't understand the definition by either doing a search here on those words, or from the context in which they are used. Is English not a language at which you are reasonably fluent?

Either way, the answer is reading. Reading your dictionary, the search results, or the threads.

Tom aka XR I know a man in Ft. Worth with 100,000 head of cattle. No bodies, just heads.