whats for you the best Dominican Food?

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Mofongo con Camarones!

I eat this at least once a day when I'm in Santiago.

I had Sancocho once. I got it from this all night kitchen that's in a small grocery store in Santiago. I've forgotten the name, but a lot of people go there to eat after partying into the wee hours.

The sancocho was good. In fact it was very good. But this is when I learned that you can't eat sancocho from just anywhere.

To make a long story short, I had uncontrollable diarrhea for two days after. Haven't eaten any sancocho since.

It evokes bad memories.:bored:

Vince.

paloma09

Jan 5, 2009
i vote barra payan

if your looking a sandwhich and a great fruit drink this is your spot
it's cheap and its great !

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
For me it's gotta be dulce de coco tierno...had the best ever in a little cafe outside of Bonao back in September...my mouth waters and I want to go back just thinking about it!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Theres this guy who sells chimis (el original I think is the name of the place) on Defillo between Romulo Betancourt and Sarasota (been there 15 yrs). What makes this chimi special is that he cooks them on a charcoal BBQ and is real light on the ketchup, mayo, and the famous Dominican salsa rosada (ketchup and mayo mix lol).

I have always hated chimis but since discovering this place its now a 2-4 times a week deal. Best thing is they're 60 pesos and frickin delicious.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Mofongo con camarones!! Especially when there is lots of garlic mashed into the mofongo.
Anybody know where they serve good mofongo during the day in the El Batey area of Sosua?? I sometimes crave a mofongo for lunch but they are fairly hard to come across during the day...you go to Santiago or Santo Domingo you can find it all over the place, but not so easy on the north coast. It is a shame as the presentation is great and I am sure the tourists would love to try it!

madera

Jan 30, 2009
the dominican food back home is whats best. esp. at a boda where all family make things and bring it.. here i go with the pan de aqua. el encanto, santiago

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
the swimmers

fresh water fish... best ive ever had no exception.. ive had fresh water fish before but not for a long time so ,, i forget. i like to go to the lakes and buy what they have hanging that day , or frozen... i get stoked when im lakin... if you know what i mean... its like the forest in upstate n.y. where the richest peeps in the world have cottages...i forget the area... wonderful!!! oh yeh the andirondaks...the land i s so expensive in some areas most cant buy it...

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
sandwich

here is nothing like i had when i was growing up. much better here. combination of tomatoes, mayo onions and im not sure what else oh yeh toasting. maybe the caring in making one. back home if i go to a bagel shop i will wait for the spanish help to make my order. much more caring . u.s. help- cut slap wrap heres yours what else...sir..

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
My favorite is the pulpo that my friend makes for me my first night there.

Then with the leftovers for bfast I get some toast and spread avacado on the toast with the pulpo! Breakfast of champions!!!

THo his pescado en leche de coco is pretty amazing as well!!

pulpojh5.jpg

pescadoconleche1tc4.jpg

rubycatalina

Sep 21, 2004
my favorite Dominican food

Asopao de camarones, with aguacate on the side. The best I ever had was at Las Brisas del Caribe in Barahona, 21 years ago.

TIPAALANTE

Apr 6, 2009
sancocho

sancocho baby!!! puro dominicano! and i am american and my husband is dominican and his family and him say i make a better sancocho then the girls in his family in dr. now thats a compliment!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Breakfast: Fruit with honey
Lunch: Moro de habichela con coco (with vinagre picante casero), biahaca frita con limon and aguacate criollo
Dinner: Pure de auyama, queso blanco frito with onions sauteed in vinager
Juice: Toronja criolla
Sweet: Habichela con dulce (sin granos)

All made with love by a campo Dona, forget the restaurants!