What's on the menu today?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he requests nothing. he eats what i give him. apart from chicken liver, 10 years ago. he still reminds me about that. :tired:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I offered to Cook today, bacalao. First time. A bit salty.*:(

you have to *soak that thing overnight to get out the salt. in the morning, you pour off the water, add fresh water to the container, and let it sit there until you are ready to cook.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I offered to Cook today, bacalao. First time. A bit salty.*:(

I think you supposed to SOAK it in water , for quite a while , rinse and soak again ?
Like with Salted meats that you put in a pot of whatever , always soak to remove the salt .
This was DRIED fish , yes ?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Yes bacalao, seco. I learned that by now, my daughter kindly ate some and said it was interesting.... Her friend was more open and she told me after lunch how to treat it. Never to old to learn. Thanks.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Breakfast: 2 cups frozen papaya, 1 cup pitted dates, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup raw almonds, one ripe banana, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and almond milk; liquified in blender until desired consistency achieved. This was preceded by daily morning dose of homemade CBD oil.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Very Healthy 2dlight

Tonight, Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and a Vodka Martini, shaken, not stirred with Olives.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Yes RV429. I've made major modifications to my lifestyle in order to better enjoy my retirement within the next 5 months. I'll be traveling to the DR shortly to scout locations to consider prior to moving back. ..after 53 years away.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I am looking to do a pasta primavera with whole wheat pasta. Suggestions on what is the best whole wheat pasta available (Santo Domingo) is appreciated.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I don't know if it's the best pasta available, but the most common here in San Pedro is Milano or Princesa (both about 24-29 pesos a package), and they do have whole wheat offerings. There is a selection of imported Italian pastas in the Jumbo and Iberia here as well, but I don't know how good they are. If you have some time to spare, I can get you their name and price on my next trip to them on Friday.
On a side note, there were a few Italian restaurants in Juan Dolio that were charging steep prices for their pasta dishes due to the fact they were using "authentic imported Italian pasta". They were using Milano and Princesa. Unknown if the Pasta Police were notified.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know if it's the best pasta available, but the most common here in San Pedro is Milano or Princesa (both about 24-29 pesos a package), and they do have whole wheat offerings. There is a selection of imported Italian pastas in the Jumbo and Iberia here as well, but I don't know how good they are. If you have some time to spare, I can get you their name and price on my next trip to them on Friday.
On a side note, there were a few Italian restaurants in Juan Dolio that were charging steep prices for their pasta dishes due to the fact they were using "authentic imported Italian pasta". They were using Milano and Princesa. Unknown if the Pasta Police were notified.

that Milano and Princesa stuff is not exactly haute cuisine...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
DR does have good Italian pasta available, I buy Delaverde at La Sirena, they even have the lasagna sheets that are great - just layer and bake. *

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
no, we bought it in a new bakery in the city. not as dark or dense as classic german version but it's tasty. i may try to bake my own, now you mention it. i found a nice simplified version i can do since traditionally it's baked in those locked pans for 14 hours of more and i'm not gonna go to those lengths.

german thin dense prepacked pumpernickel is available in most supermarkets, often in the freezer section.

New bakery? *With proper bread??? Please share directions! Thank you!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
New bakery? *With proper bread??? Please share directions! Thank you!

moulin de paris. plaza brugal (this is a small plaza where refripartes are, opposite hormigones del atlantico, main road). tel: 829 826 2134 and 809 819 4085.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today for lunch: polish fresh cabbage stew with chorizo and smoked bacon, served with ciabatta bread.

today in the freshly fixed oven: polish cheesecake with butterscotch chips. i plan to put some chocolate ganache on the top.

ps, yuca gnocchi sounds great. i think lots of root veggies will work great for this dish, batatas should rock. heck, even platanos could be used. i will try different versions and report back.