What's YOUR country famous for?

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
My birthplace really isn't famous at all. Often times it's misplaced for Ghana in Africa. :). I would say the mass killing of hundreds of people at Jonestown by one named Jim Jones. It's a sad episode in our society, however, it's true.

I guess we from the same place, so I'm gonna digress that we don't have any noteworth people or products. Guyana - El dorado rum and some of the best gold, Eddy Grant of Electric Avenue and Rihanna heritage . Now if you wanna talk infamy - Jim Jones

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess we from the same place, so I'm gonna digress that we don't have any noteworth people or products. Guyana - El dorado rum and some of the best gold, Eddy Grant of Electric Avenue and Rihanna heritage . Now if you wanna talk infamy - Jim Jones

hey, they produce some of the greatest cricketers there!!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

The influence of Guyanese heritage in the south eastern parts of Venezuela is notorius. English spoken and Calypso music (though originally from TT) can be heard a lot in the neighboring cities.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
That's not in Guyana but in Suriname. Ok it used to be called Dutch Guyana ;)

Frank, Actually the St Georges cathedral which is/was the worlds tallest wooden building is in Georgetown, Guyana. (formerly British Guiana) I believe Norway was building a wooden structure that would have eclipsed ours. Not sure if it ever happened.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
let's not forget Shiv...Mr Chanderpaul.

My second favourite, I had the pleasure if flying home next to him on Delta . Very cordial, humble man. Took the time to take pics with several of us as our flight was delayed over 5 hours

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My second favourite, I had the pleasure if flying home next to him on Delta . Very cordial, humble man. Took the time to take pics with several of us as our flight was delayed over 5 hours

Shiv is just the salt of the earth...

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

I already listed the El Dorado rum in the Brugal thread. Let's be honest, the OP wanted to know what your country was famous for. Most people in the world would recognize Guyana in terms of Jim Jones; sadly speaking.

How many awards have El Dorado won? I believe about four or five consecutively as best rum in the world. How many bars could you walk in an order a shot of said rum? The answer is most people don't recognize it. You can walk into any bar and have a shot of Wray and Nephew from Jamaica, and even Mount Gay from Barbados.

I'm patriotic as all Guyanese but I'm not going to stifle my conscious to reality. Yes we have gold like Republica Dominicana, South Africa, etc. We are talking about iconic brands or name associating. When one thinks about Jamaica, almost immediately the sight is Bob Marley and reggae music.

Greetings in the name if his imperial majesty Emperor Haile Selassie the first...
Jah Rastafari - kings of kings, lords of lords conquering lion from the tribe of Judah.

Ever liveth, ever faithful, ever sure. Bless up yuhself! :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I already listed the El Dorado rum in the Brugal thread. Let's be honest, the OP wanted to know what your country was famous for. Most people in the world would recognize Guyana in terms of Jim Jones; sadly speaking.

How many awards have El Dorado won? I believe about four or five consecutively as best rum in the world. How many bars could you walk in an order a shot of said rum? The answer is most people don't recognize it. You can walk into any bar and have a shot of Wray and Nephew from Jamaica, and even Mount Gay from Barbados.

I'm patriotic as all Guyanese but I'm not going to stifle my conscious to reality. Yes we have gold like Republica Dominicana, South Africa, etc. We are talking about iconic brands or name associating. When one thinks about Jamaica, almost immediately the sight is Bob Marley and reggae music.

Greetings in the name if his imperial majesty Emperor Haile Selassie the first...
Jah Rastafari - kings of kings, lords of lords conquering lion from the tribe of Judah.

Ever liveth, ever faithful, ever sure. Bless up yuhself! :)

Selah..

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
The influence of Guyanese heritage in the south eastern parts of Venezuela is notorius. English spoken and Calypso music (though originally from TT) can be heard a lot in the neighboring cities.

I would attribute this more to Trinidadians. Spanish is more influential in Trinidad than in Guyana. Many places in Trinidad have Spanish names and many Trinidadians have Venezuelan roots. It's very common to find all the last names in Dominicana also in Trinidad. :)

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

I would attribute this more to Trinidadians. Spanish is more influential in Trinidad than in Guyana. Many places in Trinidad have Spanish names and many Trinidadians have Venezuelan roots. It's very common to find all the last names in Dominicana also in Trinidad. :)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Have you ever heard Juan Luis Guerra's version of "Woman del Callao"?. That is in fact a venezuelan song. El Callao is a venezuelan town that's close to the guyanese border, and if you listen to the song you will see that most of it is in english, or spanglish at best, which is how they speak in the area. Trinidad being an island does not have the same influence. I know you guys don't like your neighbors much, but that's just politics. In this continent we pretty much share the same roots.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wish they would list what the countries are REALLY famous for, not in a polite way. poland? thieves. colombia? cocaine. thailand? shooting ping pong balls from the pu**y. i'd read that and laugh.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Have you ever heard Juan Luis Guerra's version of "Woman del Callao"?. That is in fact a venezuelan song. El Callao is a venezuelan town that's close to the guyanese border, and if you listen to the song you will see that most of it is in english, or spanglish at best, which is how they speak in the area. Trinidad being an island does not have the same influence. I know you guys don't like your neighbors much, but that's just politics. In this continent we pretty much share the same roots.

I don't argue the facts of the song or the area you mentioned. I've never heard of the song either but I will give it a listen. My contention is even though we share a border with Venezuela, Spanish influences aren't prominent at all in Guyana. Trinidad is just off the coast of Venezuela and Spanish culture is more prevalent there. Most areas in Guyana are English or Dutch influenced.

One of our three counties is named Essequibo, a Dutch word. There's Stabroek market, Vreed en Hoop, New Amsterdam and Vlissengen, and Beterverwagten. There are more Brazilians in the country than Venezuelans. We are too small to have enemies. We have friendly with all of our neighbors :)

Last edited: