Who is the richest Dominican?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Larry I think sancochojoe meant that currently A-Rod might be worth 100 million. It'd be nice to have a few of those millions;)

Oh ok.......I thought he knew. Oops!

Golo, I remember that incident with Pedro in Italo's Restaurant. It was the talk of the town. About the partying, what I meant to say is that it would be a reason but I heard it as a rumor. I couldn't verify why, however, I did hear about the regulations that were put in place for actually getting an apartment in the building. Sounds like what they do in New York City for any apartment nowadays:confused:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Net worth of A-Rod?

I know he is getting 250 million over 10 years but I dont know how his contract is structured. The bulk of that might be deferred until the last few years, which is often the case in MLB to alleviate salary-cap issues etc. Also, you cannot determine his "net worth" based on his salary. Who knows how much he has spent or what his investments are. If he hade 25 million last year but flew to vegas every weekend and lost a few hundred grand each time at the craps table, he wouldnt be worth 25 million anymore now would he?

MLB players get raped by their agents who negotiate the contracts as well. I think for the most part, the agents get 10 % of the nut. Thats 25 million out of A-Rods 250 million gone right there. Maybe thats where you got your 22 million quote for his salary this year sancochojoe ( it would actually be 22.5 after subtracting the agents take).

In any event, whether he is in the top 10 or not, I think it is safe to say A-Rod is one rich Dominican.

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Golo is wrong. A-Rod IS Dominican

A Dream

Although he lives a life most people could only imagine, Alex Rodriguez is somebody just trying to rep for the Dominican Republic.

by: Kevin L. Carter [The Source Sports Inside Story 1998]

Rodriguez was born in Manhattan?s Washington Heights, a Dominican stronghold even back in the mid-?70s. His family moved to the Dominican Republic, where both of his parents came from, for four years and then to Miami?s Kendall suburb, where A-Rod came up.

?So many people don?t even consider me Latin,? he said. ?They?re used to the guys that come from over there. I want to be know as a Dominican. That?s what I am, 100 percent. People are like, ?Where are you from?? Most of them don?t know. When you see (Raul) Mondesi, Pedro Guerrero, Alfredo Griffin (all dark-skinned, African-looking players), you immediately associate them with being Dominican. I?m not under Black or white, either. Lots of people think I am Puerto Rican or Cuban. I?m kinda ignored. I have a duty and responsibility to continue the legacy of Dominican in baseball.?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Let's put it all in perspective shall we?

How rich is rich? Whoever you lot decide are the top 50 to 100 richest Dominicans, I am keenly interested to know how you think their wealth compares with these North American occupations:

mutual fund trading supervisor
insurance broking Managing Director
personal injury attorney
investment banking practice head

Hint: these professionals number in the hundreds per occupation and any earning less than US$1,000,000 in annual base compensation are the exception rather than the rule

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
money is money

The original question by sancochojoe was about wealth, not social class. So whether Pedro and the other ballplayers will ever be accepted into the local "high-society" seems off the point and to me actually rather irrelevant.

re. A-Rod:
A-Rod is no dummy (not a Vegas spendrift,etc.) and he is not a chopo, either. At least by American standards he is not. Social elite or not in the DR, a baseball income of $252 million is no small potatoes, even after taxes, agents, and whatever other expenses of doing businness are. Also, besides his salary A-Rod cashes in on corporate sponsorphips, ads, etc. that create another solid source of revenue for sports megastars like him.

re. Oscar:
I did fail to mention Oscar de la Renta. He is one of the top fashion designers in the world and has been at it for decades.
Socially, he does seem to belong to the upper crust, but I wouldn't really know since I avoid the "nariz-par?" of SD as much as I avoid Golo's beloved chopos. Direct your inquiries about this to Ritmo Social.

Also failed to mention Gustavo Cisneros, a true billionaire in US dollars. He is from Venezuela but spends a lot of time in his Casa de Campo estate given that Chavez has made it unbearable for rich people to live in that South American country these days.

-Tordok

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
money is not a joke...even in the DR

Also, for those who think Dominican wealth is an oxymoron, please check your sources. The people I mentioned are legitimates businness people who can afford private jets, private yachts, Park Avenue condos, helicopters, etc. and do. Without sweating it. If that's not megabucks, then you're talking re. Bill Gates alone, who is by far much wealthier than everyone else in the planet, including those in your frame of reference such as American stockbrokers, high-profile lawyers, etc. .
These people can be at the same level than the folks I mentioned. Some are wealthier, and some are less.
-Tordok

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
> people who can afford private jets, private yachts,
> Park Avenue condos, helicopters, etc. and do.
> Without sweating it. If that's not megabucks,
> then you're talking re. Bill Gates alone, who

Come on! That stuff, while out of my reach, is not THAT expensive. Others might have more precise numbers, but I suspect you can have most of those things on $1-$2M/year income.

And I doubt many of these so called "rich" people in the DR have even that.

Bill Gates's net worth is $40B, so you're really exaggerating to try to compare $1m/year to $40B net worth.

The fact of the matter is, that the Dominicans *can't* get that wealthy.. The market size here just isn't that big, no matter how much they make or steal. Bigger markets = bigger profits. Period.

So lets talk actual numbers. How many of these "rich" dominican families (living in the DR, not baseball players) have an overall net worth above US$100M? And I'm not talking helicopters and planes. I mean, that if they liquidate all their assets, they have a net worth of US $100M or above.

I bet there are absolutely none.

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
adrianb said:
>

The fact of the matter is, that the Dominicans *can't* get that wealthy.. The market size here just isn't that big, no matter how much they make or steal. Bigger markets = bigger profits. Period.

So lets talk actual numbers. How many of these "rich" dominican families (living in the DR, not baseball players) have an overall net worth above US$100M? And I'm not talking helicopters and planes. I mean, that if they liquidate all their assets, they have a net worth of US $100M or above.

I bet there are absolutely none.

I think you are wrong, I bet the net worth of the Vicini, Barletta, Corripio, Hazoury, Leon just top name a few are well above $100M each and thats a rough estimate calculating what businesses and properties I am told they own.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Sorry adrianb but I must disagree with you. Even without those properties, there are families that can liquidate their assets excluding "toys" like jets and the like, and still have a net worth over U$100 million. Some of those people were previously mentioned in Tordok's post about certain families and business groups in the DR. I understand that the aforementioned families and their desire to line their own pockets is partly what keeps Dominicans from developing larger amounts of wealth. I mean, there has to be a reason why so many Dominicans are able to open up or manage businesses in the US other than the obvious excuses that some DR1 posters like to say such as "they sell drugs as a front" because the negative will always stand out and they like to 'shock and awe'........anyways, I digress.

But yes, I must say that there are families (can't speak for any individuals) in the DR worth over $100 million. A large number of them invest in stock markets around the world and I'm pretty sure some DR1 posters do the same, it'd be insane to not do so:confused:

Re: the ones with $ don't flaunt it like the many wannabes

Tordok said:
Neither FORBES nor FORTUNE magazines have ever published re. wealthy individuals in the DR ( I think having over US$1 billion in known assets is the minimum criterion to get mentioned), however it would be safe to assume that the following people are not far from that:
Dominicans;
the Vicini family (Casa Vicini, truly old $ and diversified portfolio)
Hu?scar Rodr?guez (Cemento Cibao/Gas Caribe, and much more)
the Le?n family (E. Le?n J?menez/ Marlboro, Presidente beer,etc.)

Tordok did mention the above guys and also
Ramon Baez Figueroa, president of Banco Intercontinental (Baninter)

Can we assume there net value is close to that

but I did see the article about Ramon
so can we include dishonest gains as well? ;)

Ramon Baez Figueroa, president of Banco Intercontinental (Baninter), was charged with embezzling $2.2 billion from the bank and its resulting failure. In response to charges, the government seized control of Baninter as well as four newspapers, 70 radio stations and four television stations all controlled by Baez, as principal shareholder in the List?n Group.

Two bank vice presidents, Ramon's brother, Marcos Baez Figueroa, and Vivian Lubrano, were also charged with money laundering and mismanagement of funds.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Are you privy to any of these people's financial statements?

Jon S. said:
Sorry adrianb but I must disagree with you. Even without those properties, there are families that can liquidate their assets excluding "toys" like jets and the like, and still have a net worth over U$100 million. Some of those people were previously mentioned in Tordok's post about certain families and business groups in the DR. I understand that the aforementioned families and their desire to line their own pockets is partly what keeps Dominicans from developing larger amounts of wealth. I mean, there has to be a reason why so many Dominicans are able to open up or manage businesses in the US other than the obvious excuses that some DR1 posters like to say such as "they sell drugs as a front" because the negative will always stand out and they like to 'shock and awe'........anyways, I digress.

But yes, I must say that there are families (can't speak for any individuals) in the DR worth over $100 million. A large number of them invest in stock markets around the world and I'm pretty sure some DR1 posters do the same, it'd be insane to not do so:confused:

...if not, you should qualify your statements with phrases such as: "I think" or "I guess" or "I imagine." When you use phrases like "there are," it suggests your statements are based on facts that you could verify. "I think" that might not be the case.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
in reply to andrianb, sancochojoe and others

Folks,
thank you for reading my posts. Seriously. Having said that, here we go for the last time on this topic.

adrianb:
After rereading my previous couple of posts on this thread (it is called a thread because one argument leads to the next by some connection of logic) I will agree that I was sloppy in adding the name Gates. Let me try again:
Bill Gates is so excessively rich that he should not be a point of comparison for anyone in the planet, including the other super-rich that live in the U.S. (Buffett, Trump, Perot, Ted Turner, Oprah or whoever). He is lots wealthier than the ultra-nonchopa her majesty Queen Elizabeth of the UK. He cannot be the parameter. An outlier. Breaks all curves. Clear? I was purposefully trying to exclude him from everyone else to avoid minimizing the very real dimension of the wealth of the DR people I mentioned. Gates' extreme personal wealth does not mitigate the fact that there are other very wealthy people around the world that despite being light-years away from the Microsoft chairman in individual net worth can still do all kinds of fancy stuff with their money and never blink to worry re. the cost. If you ignored that some of those people are in fact either Dominican or are based in the DR, then I understand your confusion. I believe that samiam and jon s. have backed up my report that responded to sancochojoe's original question to the board. In fact they added a couple of others that would also fit the parameters of between $100 million and $1 billion. How much, you seem to want to know? You would need to speak with them directly to ascertain the actual figures. Suffice it to say that they've got what it takes to fly around in their private machines, etc and I can assure you that 1 million/yr. does provide for that kind of lifestyle. I would like to add that - unless viewed by an anticapitalist prism (and that's a whole different argument)- those folks are not mafiosi.
sancochojoe:
Speaking of mafiosi, Ramoncito B?ez was born rich. However, not to a mafiosi family. Daddy had beacoup "cuartos" pre-Baninter and they are from one of the so-called "old families"of the DR. Being born to privilege does not mitigate the fact that junior, in apparent boredom with being "just another millionaire", became grandiose/narcissistic and became a criminal to achieve "his dreams" of being in the league of billionaires. He misused and abused other people's money to trade influences at a no-limit poker table. He lost. At least temporarily. The politicos could still figure a way to reactivate him. I digress, sorry. But that's it. Thank you.
-Tordok

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
addendum/correction to my last post

Tordok said:

.....Suffice it to say that they've got what it takes to fly around in their private machines, etc and I can assure you that 1 million/yr. does provide for that kind of lifestyle.

-Tordok

the above sentence should read:
.....Suffice it to say that they've got what it takes to fly around in their private machines, etc and I can assure you that 1 million/yr. does NOT provide for that kind of lifestyle.

-Tordok

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
With all these posts and the time and effort we all took to put them together, all I can think of is how some of DR1's regular posters and some of the (rich) lurkers here are just thinking to themselves "how tacky can they be?" because we actually set up a thread about who are the richest folks in the DR. I guess since most of the people on the site were raised in the US or have a good work ethic and like to earn their riches as opposed to those who steal and do whatever they do so talking about money is tacky. But the taboo is being broken.................

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
tacky, taboo & trivial

Jon S. said:
With all these posts and the time and effort we all took to put them together, all I can think of is how some of DR1's regular posters and some of the (rich) lurkers here are just thinking to themselves "how tacky can they be?" because we actually set up a thread about who are the richest folks in the DR. I guess since most of the people on the site were raised in the US or have a good work ethic and like to earn their riches as opposed to those who steal and do whatever they do so talking about money is tacky. But the taboo is being broken.................

I will count myself among the accussed. Count yourself among the guilty. I agree that the whole subject is kind of trivial but the question was asked and answers were provided. Triviality aside, it is also about providing information about some not-so-obvious aspects of the DR economic and social reality, and that is presumably what these boards are about. To share questions and answers. Tacky or not, getting correct information about any DR-related subject is fair game and can be of value to some readers of this board. I'm sure that many visitors from outside fail to see wealth in the midst of so much poverty. But it exists, and the curious should get appropriate responses. It wasn't re. who is a thief or who doesn't belong in high society, although it did degenerate at times into that. Taboo is to break a rule that applies to yourself. I was talking re. other people's money, not mine (that would be taboo, tacky, and no ones's business). What went into this thread is largely within the purview of the public eye and no secrets have been spilled to injure nor benefit anyone in particular. We're just facilitating info. to those who requested it. No taboo breaking for me yet. The defense rests on grounds of temporary insanity.
-Tordok
;)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey, I like talking about money. I don't care what other people think, I plan on earning a lot of it.

To be convinced about net worth about $100M, I'd need to see it pass some kind of editorial evaluation. I don't see why they wouldn't make it into some forbes or fortune list, there must be one for latin america someplace.

A lot of "wealthy" families actually have negative net worth. In a country like the DR where appearances are so important, I would expect this to be the norm.

And yes, I would include stealing in wealth acquisition. Its a part of the culture. But the $2.2B that was stolen was not taken in bulk. It was lost over a period of time.

Adrian, the chopo who likes this topic :)

adrianb said:

And yes, I would include stealing in wealth acquisition. Its a part of the culture. But the $2.2B that was stolen was not taken in bulk. It was lost over a period of time.

Adrian, the chopo who likes this topic :)

Adrian, I would have to agree with you. How you gain the wealth really does not matter. You would still have to be included in the list of the most wealthy. You can say many billionairs and millionairs have achieve there wealth with some form of dishonesty somewhere along the line, thats part of the art of gaining as much market share in a capitalist market in whatever market venture you are in. Anybody here who have, planned on having a business have thought of schemes to get over in order to maximize profit. In some since, you do it until you get caught.

So Ramon Figueroa, you are at least on my list of one of the most wealthy Dominicans, no matter how dishonest you were in acheiving it. And when millionaires get to that level of wealth, the game of making money really gets dirty anyway.