Why do most Dominicans blindly prefer Hillary over Obama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
LOL so where is he, beside her?

when a woman is mentioned everyone says a "woman behind him".

(I was seeing humor in this racially-charged thread.)

The fun has just begun: a woman and a black are coming to Texas. This is huge!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I like Obama a lot and I've read his book, he's strong and has integrity. But I feel that Hillary has a lot more experience when it comes to dealing with the opposition and their sharp claws. I feel that she's a very strong woman and has a very smart man behind her and a very well liked man by many not only Democrats.

As a black man for president I don't know if most are ready for that, do you think the higher powers will allow it?

I don't think middle America is ready for that, but I do know it would do great things to heal the numerous racial woes we have there. If he were pro life and pro family I would vote for him, then again I always make it a point to judge people by their character, not by the "package" they came in.

Denina1

Feb 12, 2008
Dominicans vote for Hillary, but why?

It's not just Dominicans blindly voting for Hillary, it's Latinos in general. They reason is familiarity - they are familiar with Clinton politics and remember mostly, I think, the state of the economy (unemployment down, market up) when Bill was the president. Hillary has been very stategic in her campaign with respect to the Latino vote, she had a Latina campaign manager - THAT, by the way, she just replaced after Obama won the last five primaries over the weekend. Guess who she replaced her with... a black woman... now she's going for the black vote. I'm over her.... VOTE OBAMA!!!

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
she had a Latina campaign manager - THAT, by the way, she just replaced after Obama won the last five primaries over the weekend. Guess who she replaced her with... a black woman... now she's going for the black vote. I'm over her.... VOTE OBAMA!!!

Are you Latina? If so, are you "over her" because she replaced her Latina campaign manager?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think I have made my point exactly that things are so screwed up in the US - so many apparently are voting for their race as opposed to voting based on character or qualifications. It is also indicative of the problem is that so many people are voting their race although they say otherwise - tell me why this isn't racism plain and simple?

When we ever learn thet where you come from doesn't make a damn bit of difference? We need to get away from labels - Irish, German, African, Latino etc. IMHO.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I think I have made my point exactly that things are so screwed up in the US - so many apparently are voting for their race as opposed to voting based on character or qualifications. It is also indicative of the problem is that so many people are voting their race although they say otherwise - tell me why this isn't racism plain and simple?

The Race Guru Stumped??? How can this be????

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican-Americans (DA) will overwhelmingly vote from Clinton rather than Obama because a large percentage of DA's live in NY state and/or nearby states, Hillary Clinton is the senator for NY state. Also, the Clinton's "relationship" with the DR given that they have spent every Christmas since the year 2000 in the DR, Bill Clinton has donated to Dominican charities and supported humanitarian work in the DR, etc. All of this is good news for Dominican-Americans, the DR, and everything else tied to the eastern two-thirds of Hispaniola. It creates the possibility that the US government might be a little, just a little, more accommodating to the Dominican government and the country than it has in the past, and perhaps more than Obama might be.

Think about it? Where will the Clinton's spend Christmas 2009? 2010? Bush went to his ranch in Texas, and the Clinton's will most likely keep their tradition of going to the DR.

That action alone brings free positive publicity for the DR which could benefit the country's tourist and luxury real estate industries.

The Clinton-Dominican connection is strong.

As for Obama, well, the guy came out of the blue. Of the few Dominicans that I have met in Connecticut that support Obama, all of them are male. All female Dominicans that I know in Connecticut are for Clinton all the way, most males are also for Clinton.

I also support Clinton due to the "Dominican-connection", but also because the lady has experience (as a senator) on how things are done in Washington, the experience as a former First Lady for 8 years in the 1990s on how things are done at the First Lady point of view, the added bonus of having the experience and expertise of her husband on how things function at the presidential level in Washington (Monika Lewinsky aside, ahem); and she has deep connections in Washington and the DR that she has known for many years.

Obama doesn't really have any of that, and in the areas where he does have something (ie. experience as a senator and connections), his experience and connections are probably much less than that of the Clintons combined.

Beside that, the other variables that differ between the two is racial. On everything else, they are pretty much the same or at least, that's how they come through to me.

-NALs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
NALs - that makes a lot of sense - and takes the reasoning beyond 'because Latinos/Dominicans are racist'. Thank you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
NALs - that makes a lot of sense - and takes the reasoning beyond 'because Latinos/Dominicans are racist'. Thank you.

Let me clarify my intent, I didn't intend to say that everyone who votes their color is a racist, rather that it is a sign of a racially divided culture - where one feels some sort of obligation to vote for someone of their same race as opposed to voting for someone based on their agenda or character.

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Dominican-Americans (DA) will overwhelmingly vote from Clinton rather than Obama because a large percentage of DA's live in NY state and/or nearby states, Hillary Clinton is the senator for NY state. Also, the Clinton's "relationship" with the DR given that they have spent every Christmas since the year 2000 in the DR, Bill Clinton has donated to Dominican charities and supported humanitarian work in the DR, etc. All of this is good news for Dominican-Americans, the DR, and everything else tied to the eastern two-thirds of Hispaniola. It creates the possibility that the US government might be a little, just a little, more accommodating to the Dominican government and the country than it has in the past, and perhaps more than Obama might be.

Think about it? Where will the Clinton's spend Christmas 2009? 2010? Bush went to his ranch in Texas, and the Clinton's will most likely keep their tradition of going to the DR.

That action alone brings free positive publicity for the DR which could benefit the country's tourist and luxury real estate industries.

The Clinton-Dominican connection is strong.

As for Obama, well, the guy came out of the blue. Of the few Dominicans that I have met in Connecticut that support Obama, all of them are male. All female Dominicans that I know in Connecticut are for Clinton all the way, most males are also for Clinton.

I also support Clinton due to the "Dominican-connection", but also because the lady has experience (as a senator) on how things are done in Washington, the experience as a former First Lady for 8 years in the 1990s on how things are done at the First Lady point of view, the added bonus of having the experience and expertise of her husband on how things function at the presidential level in Washington (Monika Lewinsky aside, ahem); and she has deep connections in Washington and the DR that she has known for many years.

Obama doesn't really have any of that, and in the areas where he does have something (ie. experience as a senator and connections), his experience and connections are probably much less than that of the Clintons combined.

Beside that, the other variables that differ between the two is racial. On everything else, they are pretty much the same or at least, that's how they come through to me.

-NALs

Well reasoned, NALs, until you got to the darkened area.

Out of the blue? Doubt it. Obama was an up-and-coming star in the Democratic Party a few years ago. If more Dominicans in the US paid more attention...

Experience as a First Lady? Seriously, NALs?

Experience as a Senator for 8 years vs. Obama's shorter tenure? That's a ones-and-zeroes comparison, and some voters might say, "Yeah, he's got a point." But in the big scheme of things, Senatorial tenure is not an advantage. Each and every Senator has "hold" power and can threaten with filibusters. So, he's as powerful and effective as she is, with the exception of committee chairs and such. Besides, the contemporary Senate is no longer considered a body of policy experts it once was. Of course, there are exceptions, especially with stalwarts like Kennedy, Byrd, Specter, Hatch, etc...

Still, I like most of what you wrote. And my post is neither an endorsement of Obama nor a dismissal of Clinton. I would've supported Dennis Kucinich - his wife is hot.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Experience as a First Lady? Seriously, NALs?

Of course. You may remember that in the beginning of Bill Clinton's administration, Hillary was very involved at the time - she took healthcare as her 'baby' and started working on it. Publically, this did not last long as the prevailing thought was that "we elected her husband, so she should step out of any serious work". But, she did not. She just went a little under the radar. My own opinion is that if the Lady gets elected, it will be a dynamite presidency. And yes, good explanation, Nals.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
The Rock vs the Rock Star

My own opinion is that if the Lady gets elected, it will be a dynamite presidency. And yes, good explanation, Nals.

The major problem with Hillary at the moment is that she has a serious image issue and her campaigns are beginning to sound tired and worn out when compared to Obama's rockstar image. Her campaign is definitely running out of steam and looking desperate and unless she finds a way to combat Obama's rockstar image, she is looking like the loser. The other negative for her is that she is also carrying some of the baggage from the Clinton administration and I am not quite sure that people are ready to go through all that anymore.

In my opinion, this Obama-rama is not just Obama's doing. There is no way he can do what he is doing without the support of some people that sit 'over the affairs of america'. The people that determines 'what happens and what does not happen'. I personally believe that these 'people' went to meet him and asked him to run and that he has their support. The way he has raised money has been nothing short of phenomenal and when the Kennedy's are rallying behind him and comparing him to JFK, then it is obvious that 'something is going on'. There is no coincidence in America.

The democratic party is in a serious dilemna at the moment. If Obama wins, then the democratic party faces an uphill battle against conservative america and if Hillary wins, the party has to find a way to convince the Obama supporters that the winds of change that has gotten them so excited will not be.

Let us see who will win this battle first. Maybe the Rock (Hillary) or the Rock Star (Obama)

I see McCain laughing his a$$ off at this moment :glasses:

Sholly

Status
Not open for further replies.