Why Do you dislike the Semana Santa Death Pool Thread??

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Morbid...possibly but what is even worse is while we argue back and forth about this topic the truth is there will be deaths due to pure ignorance. All this gringo against Dominican mentality is cr*p. The US and other countries have there own issues with "holiday deaths" but this is DR1 not US1. Some mention this is one of the most significant religious holidays but yet all I see out and about are people getting ready to "party". So while yes the "death pool" is a bit morbid it is a harsh reality. And maybe this is how some people choose to deal with deaths based on ignorance and stupidity all the while hoping that they themselves and/or family members do not become a statistic in this pool. So while we are all arguing and "preaching" the wrong or right of the thread and/or pool maybe take that energy and put it to good use. When tio Juan or primo Jorge decide to pile up the car and go to the beach while swigging on the bottle of rum maybe we should step up and voice concern. I do not agree or disagree with the "pool". What I disagree with is making this a gringo against Dominican issue when clearly this is not the case.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Did you guys ever think that some of the Victims will be innocent Kids, who did not have anything to do with the drinking and over indulging.... This dead pool is also no skin off my nose, but I find the manner in which this is done to be way more than insensitive and tasteless beyond words.. but my prev post was also deleted.. so thank you Mods for opening up this thread for people to speak on it.. Thats is very much appreciated.

Haven't you read how some posters have PROUDLY stated that they'd rather feed a stray dog than a Dominican child?
Others have also said that if they have to choose between saving the life of a dog or a person, they'd save the dog.
There is also the lady who said she would buy a steak and feed it to a stray dog in front of a homeless person.

This poll is coming from this same place. Dominican deaths are often celebraded and made fun of, while gringo deaths should be respected, even if they died in the same condition. Now the gringos want to pretend that the poll is "educational" and "constructive", More gringo BS!

By the way, if members who are against the death pool have received infractions and can't post there, this thread should be left free for those who don't agree with it to post. I see that other thread is pretty clean now!

I see 0 starving kids where I live yet many starving dogs and cats so why would I feed the kids when they have food?

When the little brats come to me in cab or Sosua and want $$ for food, I give them food and they flip out, the last time they threw the food and stomped on it so sorry I have no time for that crap!

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
When you make it a "gringo against Dominican" issue you are just adding to the problem. The "death pool poll" is not educational or constructive and I have never seen it presented in that manner. It is posters who grow increasingly tired of deaths caused by plain ignorance and stupidity centered around a holiday. Just as in the US there is always some type of "poll" around the 4th of July on how many people are going to blow their body parts off with misuse of fireworks (not a poll here on DR1) or on Thanksgiving how many people will burn the house down trying to deep fry a turkey (not a poll here on DR1). Making it a gringo against Dominican issue takes away from the real issue, deaths caused by stupidity and ignorance increase because of a Holiday. Deaths caused by stupidity and ignorance is not country specific.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
When you make it a "gringo against Dominican" issue you are just adding to the problem. The "death pool poll" is not educational or constructive and I have never seen it presented in that manner. It is posters who grow increasingly tired of deaths caused by plain ignorance and stupidity centered around a holiday. Just as in the US there is always some type of "poll" around the 4th of July on how many people are going to blow their body parts off with misuse of fireworks (not a poll here on DR1) or on Thanksgiving how many people will burn the house down trying to deep fry a turkey (not a poll here on DR1). Making it a gringo against Dominican issue takes away from the real issue, deaths caused by stupidity and ignorance increase because of a Holiday. Deaths caused by stupidity and ignorance is not country specific.

Actually what adds to the problem is expecting and asking for respect for gringo issues, but making fun of Dominicans in similar situations.

As I have said before, Dominican deaths are made fun of and celebrated regardless of being Semana Santa or not. Semana Santa is definetively not the issue here, but just another way for gringos to manifest themselves.

Yes, others have said that perhaps if Domicans read this poll they'd learn something. More BS! Even you stating that this poll is not educational, you are still talking like it solves something.

And whatever similar poll you can quote about having in the US, there will be double the people complaing about it, and asking for it to be closed. GUARANTEED!!!

The bottom line is, there are posters who do not agree with it and they all have the same right to say it.

Last edited:

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
No Aguaita this is what I think..any death is senseless when it involves drinking, driving, reckless behavior, etc... Whether it be Semana Santa, Navidad, etc...using a holiday to engage in reckless behavior that endangers others is what I have a problem with. Please enlighten me where I have indicated that the poll solves anything. It is a poll period. As I said I do not agree or disagree with it. I disagree with this being made into a gringo against Dominican issue. There have been many a jokes and "rude" comments about gringo deaths here. As far as a similar poll you mentioned regarding the US well in less it is in the off-topic then it would not belong here as this is DR1. Bottom line, Dominican, gringo or whatever..do not use Semana Santa as the excuse to go out and endanger others because it is Semana Santa and it is party time. That is my take on it, poll or no poll.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Haven't you read how some posters have PROUDLY stated that they'd rather feed a stray dog than a Dominican child?
Others have also said that if they have to choose between saving the life of a dog or a person, they'd save the dog.
There is also the lady who said she would buy a steak and feed it to a stray dog in front of a homeless person.

This poll is coming from this same place. Dominican deaths are often celebraded and made fun of, while gringo deaths should be respected, even if they died in the same condition. Now the gringos want to pretend that the poll is "educational" and "constructive", More gringo BS!

By the way, if members who are against the death pool have received infractions and can't post there, this thread should be left free for those who don't agree with it to post. I see that other thread is pretty clean now!

YOU are the only person who is making this a Gringo vs Dominican thing. And you are one of those that I mentioned was trying so hard not to show your rage last week, yet to most of us it is so transparent. YOU are the one banging on about gringos and Dominicans.
Those who would rather feed a dog than a starving person would do the same in their own native soil, India, USA, Canada, UK, Italy, where ever, because that is where their passions lie. Now you have to deal with that, like I said earlier, as people we have to tolerate things that make us mad, stop making this about you and yours, it isn't.
If the same thing was going on in the UK, US, Italy, Canada, and these people were also responsible, knowingly continuing to do the same thing year after year, then we would have exactly the same opinion, and the same in every way. If a fool kills himself, it doesn't matter where he is from to most of us, but you certainly seem to want to make it a race thing, which only really shows where your thoughts are, your insecurities are and quite possibly what you really think about gringos in DR.
We have festivals throughout the rest of the world that we all know are bad news to visit, we all know that there will be disasters, and we all say the same thing about those who continue to go. You have it in your mind that Dominicans are relevant in all this, they are not, you are not, its a human nature thing, people will be people.

We all take the pi$$ out of each other for the stupid things we do. The rule of life and being happy is if you don't enjoy it, then change it. Same applies to everything, even online forums!!

So get over it, your colours are running!

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Like anything else in life...if someone or something offends me personally I don't pay attention to it/them.
DR1 is a big place with a lot of people and opinions...if you don't like a thread...leave it alone.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Like anything else in life...if someone or something offends me personally I don't pay attention to it/them.
DR1 is a big place with a lot of people and opinions...if you don't like a thread...leave it alone.

Triple like!!!!!

Aug 21, 2007
While several of you mentioned that this is a religious holiday, but not practiced as such by Dominicans, I feel that I need to respond. This comment is over generalizing. I attend the Catholic church. It does not matter which service I attend, the church is filled to capacity. The Evangelical churches here, and there are many, mostly have their services not on Sunday morning, but in the evening hours several times a week. I have attended their services and they are always at capacity.

So, your premise that Dominicans don't participate in religious practices during Semana Santa, rather they (as a whole) engage in wild drinking and other activities that cause deaths on the roads is generalizing and not fair to mainstream Dominicans.

Sweeping generalizations are simply wrong. It only takes one drunk driver, no matter what country is your home.

In the end, I think poor education and cultural traditions are the greatest contributors to the problem.

Lindsey

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
YOU are the only person who is making this a Gringo vs Dominican thing. And you are one of those that I mentioned was trying so hard not to show your rage last week, yet to most of us it is so transparent. YOU are the one banging on about gringos and Dominicans.
Those who would rather feed a dog than a starving person would do the same in their own native soil, India, USA, Canada, UK, Italy, where ever, because that is where their passions lie. Now you have to deal with that, like I said earlier, as people we have to tolerate things that make us mad, stop making this about you and yours, it isn't.
If the same thing was going on in the UK, US, Italy, Canada, and these people were also responsible, knowingly continuing to do the same thing year after year, then we would have exactly the same opinion, and the same in every way. If a fool kills himself, it doesn't matter where he is from to most of us, but you certainly seem to want to make it a race thing, which only really shows where your thoughts are, your insecurities are and quite possibly what you really think about gringos in DR.
We have festivals throughout the rest of the world that we all know are bad news to visit, we all know that there will be disasters, and we all say the same thing about those who continue to go. You have it in your mind that Dominicans are relevant in all this, they are not, you are not, its a human nature thing, people will be people.

So get over it, your colours are running!

People who don't agree with the poll have the same rights to talk about it about as those who do. Why do you wish to censor this thread? Why does it bother you so much that this thread was created? You shouldn't be upset by what people here post.

You are a sock puppet and you still continue talking about insecurities? Give me a break! It's hard for me to take anything you say seriously when you're a sock.

Others have refered to you as an angry/ bitter/bored poster, not just me. Now you want to get back at me with the "angry poster" thing. More gingo BS! "trying hard not to show rage" It looks like you're talking about yourself!

I speak my mind like just like anybody else here, and if you don't want me to, don't read what I post.

So how many other ids do you really have?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
While several of you mentioned that this is a religious holiday, but not practiced as such by Dominicans, I feel that I need to respond. This comment is over generalizing. I attend the Catholic church. It does not matter which service I attend, the church is filled to capacity. The Evangelical churches here, and there are many, mostly have their services not on Sunday morning, but in the evening hours several times a week. I have attended their services and they are always at capacity.

So, your premise that Dominicans don't participate in religious practices during Semana Santa, rather they (as a whole) engage in wild drinking and other activities that cause deaths on the roads is generalizing and not fair to mainstream Dominicans.

Sweeping generalizations are simply wrong. It only takes one drunk driver, no matter what country is your home.

In the end, I think poor education and cultural traditions are the greatest contributors to the problem.

Lindsey

I'm glad you posted this. When we used to stay in Santo Domingo, we always went to the church in La Feria - Nuestra Senora del la Paz. They had the most beautiful Palm Sunday services, with children from the Catholic school participating in a procession. Easter was packed too.

Nowadays we catch a 6 p.m. Mass if we're in the Capital, in a pretty church in the Honduras sector. Always packed, even mid-week. Even has air-conditioning.

Plenty of church-going Dominicans, they're not all drunk at the beach this week.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
People who don't agree with the poll have the same rights to talk about it about as those who do. Why do you wish to censor this thread? Why does it bother you so much that this thread was created? You shouldn't be upset by what people here post.

You are a sock puppet and you still continue talking about insecurities? Give me a break! It's hard for me to take anything you say seriously when you're a sock.

Others have refered to you as an angry/ bitter/bored poster, not just me. Now you want to get back at me with the "angry poster" thing. More gingo BS! "trying hard not to show rage" It looks like you're talking about yourself!

I speak my mind like just like anybody else here, and if you don't want me to, don't read what I post.

So how many other ids do you really have?

What on earth are you on, or an about. I am not trying to censor anything. I am trying to tell you that you can not censor others by creating a thread as you have. You are completely contradicting your own purpose of this thread, lol.

Yes you speak your mind, I have not said you should so otherwise, but if reading the other thread upsets you so much, so much as you claim, then I advised you not to read it. I have posters I can't be bothered with, they are on ignore. I don't read threads I have no interest in, I see no posting value in, or are just plain boring or obvious.

Rage from me? haha, I do not care enough to have rage. I annoy those who feel they want to call me a sock, that is what people do who can not deal with people like me, who will point out what many think, but don't want to, are overly PC or just can't be bothered as they have better things to do.

Again, you are using the 'us and them' thing. Typical gringo.............. can you be more specific as you are actually segregating the entire Dominican Republic from the rest of the world. If you're going too be borderline racist at least try to be specific rather than this insecurity that the rest of the world hates and mocks DR.

The reason there is much attention towards Dominicans on here is kind of obvious, is it not, lol.

Censor? No, I'm happy to do and say what I want, as you should be. But I'm not crying about things that don't exist and blaming the rest of society for native stupidity or claiming double standards which in a nutshell is what you are crying about.

You're asking me why am I bothered about this thread so much, I'm not, I'm just airing my view on you. And no, you don't bother me either.
Your calling me bitter, sock, angry, another 'gringo', but your not really relating anything to a defense of my post, only reinforcing it through lack of substance in reply.

Other ID's? none any more, I'm not banned and they are onto the being banned and creating another ID to get back on thing now. Why are you interested? LOL, significance, as if a secret, lol. We are through junior high Aguita. I'm only answering your posts, don't take it personally, relax and breathe!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
N Bottom line, Dominican, gringo or whatever..do not use Semana Santa as the excuse to go out and endanger others because it is Semana Santa and it is party time. That is my take on it, poll or no poll.

And posting this answer to me on an English forum is going to accomplish what? Posting figures does what? Have you thought about giving talks in your community about the dangers of drinking and driving? If you guys have genuenly so much concern about the matter, you should do that! There are other posters here who reach out to their communities with positive results.

Plus, this thread was created as a result of a moderator suggestion for people who don't like the poll. Let people say why they don't like it. It's not that pool likers and unlikers are going to convince each other.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
What on earth are you on, or an about. I am not trying too censor anything. I am trying to tell you that you can not censor others by creating a thread as you have. You are completely contradicting your own purpose of this thread, lol.
Stop it sock puppet! Why does this thread bothers you so much? Leave it alone!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Just so members are aware I think it is important people know the meaning of sock puppet before usage (just to save those the who are childish enough to use the term a little face).
Sockpuppet (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Too many people on DR1 know me personally for me to be a sock puppet, as if need be I don't get banned any more, I behave myself.
The word you are looking for Aguita is :classic:'indomitable':classic:, a little more mature and accurate.:knockedou

Excuse me AE, I had to straighten the usage of this out, I shall now bow out.