words(chula, chulo,etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No, are you sure?

stallion said:
I think he's just being sarcastic. He knows the true meaning(Gringo). He's just pulling your arm!
I knew that he was being sarcastic. I replied because, just like him, I have no life!!!!. Well, maybe I do but I don't know about him, ;) .

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
miguel said:
I knew that he was being sarcastic. I replied because, just like him, I have no life!!!!. Well, maybe I do but I don't know about him, ;) .

Ok, Now I understand. Thanks for letting me know.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The way I had it explained to me by older Dominicans is that "chulo" originally was a noun that meant pimp or male prostitute, and the adjective form referred to anything that reminded others of such folk. But over time the slang changed and the adjective form came to be used as "cool" or "cute/goodlooking."

Me, I couldn't never get past its origins, so I don't use the word or its feminine counterpart.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
MaineGirl,

I think you mean "chulear" or chulearse" right?

-Est?n chule?ndote-

Your example is perfect which conveys the meaning of being a "leach". This usage or meaning is slang and common not only in Venezuela but other SA countries.

-Lesley D-

MaineGirl said:
It can mean cool, it can mean pimp. Chula I have no idea. In Venezuela when someone is chulandote it means they are not paying their fair share. For example if only one person has a pack of cigarettes and the whole group smokes them on you. Or if you are always the one paying for something.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina,

"chulo" can also have the connotation of "guapo/ bien parecido". It just depends on where and how it's used. The context in my opinion is usually a clear indicator.

-Lesley D-

trina said:
I've been corrected by my husband, who has informed me that "chula" can mean "honey", but you normally wouldn't call a man a "chulo", unless you were calling him a "pimp". This version is not so widely used in his part of the country - if you were to say "chula", it's in reference to something "bonita" - even a person. Honestly, I'd never heard it used that way. "Chulo" is more commonly used for pimp. So "la barbie", I again apologize.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
No sarcasm intended

stallion said:
I think he's just being sarcastic. He knows the true meaning(Gringo). He's just pulling your arm!
It was simply meant to emphasize miguel's exaspiration about certain topics or words being repeated/debated ad nauseum. I know the next time someone opens the "Gringo" can of worms, my reaction will be, "Dear God, not again!"

PS: If you want some good sarcasm, ricktoronto's your man.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Opps, I did it again!!!

Keith R said:
The way I had it explained to me by older Dominicans is that "chulo" originally was a noun that meant pimp or male prostitute, and the adjective form referred to anything that reminded others of such folk. But over time the slang changed and the adjective form came to be used as "cool" or "cute/goodlooking."

Me, I couldn't never get past its origins, so I don't use the word or its feminine counterpart.
I spoke to my dad, 80, in the DR and I asked him, again, about the term chulo and he, again told me EXACTLY the way senor Keith said. He is old, has lived his whole life in the DR so I guess that he knows what he is talking about. He said that back "in the days", calling someone a chulo/chula, was an invitation for trouble/fights/arguments.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Lesley D said:
Trina,

"chulo" can also have the connotation of "guapo/ bien parecido". It just depends on where and how it's used. The context in my opinion is usually a clear indicator.

-Lesley D-

It's funny that you used the word "guapo" on your example. Which has a different meaning in DR speak.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It has various meanings not only the DR meaning of "guapo".

stewart said:
It's funny that you used the word "guapo" on your example. Which has a different meaning in DR speak.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Stewart,

Sorry, I had that response first and I did want to "confuse" people as you said. That's why I edited my answer to the one above. So we are the same page.

-Lesley D-

stewart said:
Yes. It laways confuses my friends from other SP speaking countries. I try and remember not to use it.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
This version is not so widely used in his part of the country - if you were to say "chula", it's in reference to something "bonita" - even a person.
It's like calling someone "linda" or "preciosa" - as in "d?melo, chula." Something could also be "una chuler?a."

And of course there are "chulitos" the food.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks Pib but to be honest with you I don't like the word at all so yes, I will keep that in mind along with the other meanings it has.

-Lesley D-

Pib said:
Careful with that. Chulear means "to make out" here.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I thnk that is one of the real tricky parts of Spanish--it can mean different things depending on where you are! I just watched the Seinfeld episode where the Trinidadian marathon runner was emulating George, and he walked up to baby in a stroller and said, "What a cute little bastard!" Not that bastard is a nice thing to say in any English-speaking region, but I am referring to the desire to use words that you are learning and then the awful instance when you know you've used them wrongly.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
If you are hooking up your friend with your sisiter or friends together for the purpose of a relationship..........You are acting as "un chulo" or "una chula (pimp/pimptress)

If you are walking on the sidewalk while wearing your minnies, your jeans and your rear resembles JLO'S or wearing anything that makes you look good.......Tu estas chula (you look hot)

If you are just simply walking in the streets not wearing anything special and somebody yells "Que chula mami" They are just saying (girl you are hottt)

If you are trying on a new dress and it fits you nice as if it was made especially for you....Ese vestido te queda chulo (it fits you nice)

Papi chulo.....male hottie(stud)
mami chula....female hottie

If you are watching a nice show of fireworks or anything kool......Eso es una chuleria.

One thing to remember is that you will almost never see an educated dominican using any of these words.

Last edited:

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
obviously there are different usage for the word depending on how you use it..
I've talked to a few friends and they mentioned that there are lots of different translations ... most of the ones listed here were mentioned..

No need to doubt any of the posts ... think of it as a language "slang" lesson !

Last edited by a moderator:

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Mr_DR said:
If you are hooking up your friend with your sisiter or friends together for the purpose of a relationship..........You are acting as "un chulo" or "una chula (pimp/pimptress)

If you are walking on the sidewalk while wearing your minnies, your jeans and your rear resembles JLO'S or wearing anything that makes you look good.......Tu estas chula (you look hot)

If you are just simply walking in the streets not wearing anything special and somebody tells "Que chula mami" They are just saying (girl you are hottt)

If you are trying on a new dress and it fits you nice as if it was made especially for you....Ese vestido te queda chulo (it fits you nice)

Papi chulo.....male hottie(stud)
mami chula....female hottie

If you are watching a nice show of fireworks or anything kool......Eso es una chuleria.

One thing to remember is that you will almost never see an educated domincan using any of these words.

ok thats helpful to me. i meant this is how i hear it:

walking down the street in sosua someone i will hear greet each other "chulo" to a male and to a girl "hey chula!!!"

so "hey chula"...is that just hey, you looke cute? I hear it all the time used like that, I looked in the dictionary and it said pimp for chulO so i figured chulA must be pimpette or something. basically, is chula/chulo slang?

Status
Not open for further replies.