words(chula, chulo,etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ok....i just came back from lunch...and there was a latino family near me...and everyone kept calling the baby papa chulo. Now I hardly think the waitress was calling this bouncing baby boy a pimp lol :)

I think this word can be used different ways in different places (much like the word gringo on another thread).

It is interesting to me to hear the differences in the language. I grew up with a mexican father and abuelo and i am currently in a bizare relationship with a dominicano here in NYC. So i just notice all the differences and nuances in the language. I can pick out a dominican accent here in nyc in a heart beat....and if i watch a mexican or spanish film i get most of the language. But for the LIFE of me i can not understand a newyorican accent at aLL!!!

WEll...i have been dominican accent lately with my friend. I have learned how to slur all my words together so my sentences are all one big word LOL.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
britishgirl said:
ok thats helpful to me. i meant this is how i hear it:

walking down the street in sosua someone i will hear greet each other "chulo" to a male and to a girl "hey chula!!!"

so "hey chula"...is that just hey, you looke cute? I hear it all the time used like that, I looked in the dictionary and it said pimp for chulO so i figured chulA must be pimpette or something. basically, is chula/chulo slang?

They are just saying " Hey Hottie/ Hey sexy"
Now, if You are arguing with someone and they call you "chula" you know that they are not calling you hottie/sexy. they are just calling you a pimp/pimpette which unlike in the US is a compliment, in the DR it is a very offensive word when you call someone a pimp/pimpette.

Last edited:

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
different places different meanings but....

Not sure the meaning in the DR but in Canada and US I have heard it being used as -Cute and honey.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Lol

WEll...i have been dominican accent lately with my friend. I have learned how to slur all my words together so my sentences are all one big word LOL.[/QUOTE said:
LOL, So So true.

MG

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
MoReNiTa GuApA said:
WEll...i have been dominican accent lately with my friend. I have learned how to slur all my words together so my sentences are all one big word LOL.[/QUOTE said:
LOL, So So true.

MG
You also have a big english accent as well MG...
Just kidding...Lol

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Pib said:
As a side note:

MTV's Pimp My Ride was translated into Spanish as "Ench?lame la m?quina".

Yuck!

yep, that is what I say
I think a much better translation would be "Ponmela coqueta"

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
Chulo, Chula

Would someone who is acutally a current resident of the Dominican Republic and also familiar with the current coloquial terms clarify the meaning of these two words. I personally would not like to insult anyone using them. But, on the other hand I would like to be able to use "common street language" when addressing close friends whom I sometime kid around around with by saying things like "hi honey" or" heh your looking pretty hot to-night!" I am sure we all say similar things to our friends without being classed as vulgar.

Windrifter(Elizabeth)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
windrifter said:
Would someone who is acutally a current resident of the Dominican Republic and also familiar with the current coloquial terms clarify the meaning of these two words. I personally would not like to insult anyone using them. But, on the other hand I would like to be able to use "common street language" when addressing close friends whom I sometime kid around around with by saying things like "hi honey" or" heh your looking pretty hot to-night!" I am sure we all say similar things to our friends without being classed as vulgar.

Windrifter(Elizabeth)
All of the previous posts are true about the meaning of chulo/chula.
You just have to judge the situation your in, that's all.
"That's Bad" can have several interpretations, it is just the situation you're in and what you are trying to get across.

ghetto88

Feb 17, 2005
british girl r u dominican?
its weird but in england its a compliment if someone calls u a pimp

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
British girl is a very nice 14 yo brit.
As for the pimp compliment in England...well its pop culture at its best. You can thank the "Da Ali G Show" http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-17920/Da_Ali_G_Show_US/

I'll be sure to catch the movie.

I hear from my friends both the show and the movie are a riot, but I'm picky so I'll reserve comments once I have seen it. If I recall right it preceded and is in the flavor of the Dave Chappelle in the states...which I also haven't had the pleasure to see.

ghetto88 said:
british girl r u dominican?
its weird but in england its a compliment if someone calls u a pimp

GiGI

Sep 16, 2005
la_barbie said:
i was talking to a dominican at the time and asked... they told me thats what a lot of people use for slang for honey...

.... my bad.... next time ill run my posts by you before i post .. :rolleyes:

If you are using in the sense of Papi/Mami chulo/chula. it does mean "honey"

mami

Mar 16, 2004
L

LarrySpencer

Que chulo! = how wonderful, how beautiful....in la Republica Dominicana

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Windrifter(Elizabeth)

Hope you're still with us! "Old Post"

Chula/Chulo is a derogative innuendo if you use them to address anyone with education in the DR. A "chulo" commonly is used to describe a man that acts like some gigolo and shows no decency at all.

If you deal with chopos (as described by AZB) you're most likely to find these two words very much in use to address one another.

BUT!!!!

The word chulo/chula used as an adjective without referring to an individual takes a whole new meaning and attributes.

To say that the house is real nice, a person could describe it as "La Casa esta bien chula". Kind of an "It's a nice house".

To say that the car is cool, a person would say "El carro esta chulo" Or "chulisimo".

In the two examples atop here, you get an idea of when to use the words appropriately.

Its kind off calling your little daughter "Your Doll" and using the same figure of speech to call a table dancer "Your Doll" as well.

It's best left to use by those who already know the don’ts than the do's...

cuas

May 29, 2006

Windrifter(Elizabeth)

Better not to use that word if you are not sure how to use it.
My brother tried to call my daughter "Chula" when she was little as a nickname. I do not like nicknames and chula is not the nickname that you want to be called. It turns heads around.
You imagine in a meeting being called Chula.
I have been called chula. Nothing wrong with it. Chula means "Sweetie". Some people use them very often but they know where and when to use.
Chula is a one to one thing. It is very different when you say to a person Chula, can you help me with this or Chula how are you feeling today or Chula do you want a cup of coffee THEN to call somebody across the room CHUUUULLLLLLLAAAAAAA.
One day I said to a coworker Hola Chula. She looked at me and said "Why are you calling me Chula, is it the bad way or the good way" I apologize and never again.
You can call your wife Chula (honey) but i think it is not a word to be use as a nickname. It is vulgar (for me)

On the other hand CHULO is a harder word. My father had a worker everybody was calling him Chulo. I avoid pronouncing that name. I tried not to call him. When my father asked me to call him I went to his face and told him my father needs you.
I do not like the word Chulo/chula
Chula is a very sweet word if used in the right moment.
Chulo I do not like.

y0maris

Feb 18, 2007
i was talking to a dominican at the time and asked... they told me thats what a lot of people use for slang for honey...

.... my bad.... next time ill run my posts by you before i post .. :rolleyes:

LOL! That's about right though, slang-wise. To my knowledge, it's meant as SEXY. chulo-sexy boy/guy, chula-sexy girl/chick.

(I'm aware that the original definition of it was "pimp" but nowadays amongst los jovenes and friends that just hang, the above sentence applies. )

And like some others said, depending upon the region, it can also mean "cool".

y0maris

Feb 18, 2007
If you are hooking up your friend with your sisiter or friends together for the purpose of a relationship..........You are acting as "un chulo" or "una chula (pimp/pimptress)

If you are walking on the sidewalk while wearing your minnies, your jeans and your rear resembles JLO'S or wearing anything that makes you look good.......Tu estas chula (you look hot)

If you are just simply walking in the streets not wearing anything special and somebody yells "Que chula mami" They are just saying (girl you are hottt)

If you are trying on a new dress and it fits you nice as if it was made especially for you....Ese vestido te queda chulo (it fits you nice)

Papi chulo.....male hottie(stud)
mami chula....female hottie

If you are watching a nice show of fireworks or anything kool......Eso es una chuleria.

For the most part GREAT post! I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.