Words of advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
About 3 years ago you could buy a house for 275 in my area now 300k for a 2 bedroom condo that is 600sq ft.. in order to even buy they are asking for 60k down and an income of 8k a month. Which for my age is not realistic. I have heard florida is very affordable when it comes to buying property we have a family friend that owns a couple houses there. But the cost of everything else is the same.

Rental property babe, solid 4 unit building in a nice area 200K-300K. You live in 1 unit and collect ??? $2,000 a month in
rent, it pays for mortgage/insurance/taxes, you get depreciation write off in USA.

Natalie Elemeska

Jun 23, 2015
i understand investment wise it would be smarter to go to the states. But i actually want to move to DR, and if i wasn't moving there i would stay in Canada instead of moving to the states

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Natalie and ____________ sitting in a tree. K IS S ing first comes..................................................... hahahahaha lol

It really is not that cheap here to live. I came from Vancouver, way more expensive than Pickering and really for the life I want here it is almost on par except for real estate which obviously is a big difference since Van is the second most expensive in NA.

Just be careful getting your hopes up about working here and opening a business. You are young so why not try it but it is a uphill battle doing what you want to here without a lot of savings.

Natalie Elemeska

Jun 23, 2015
bronxboy no tree sitting for me lol..

well $500 a month for rent .. that right there is my biggest saving right there. split between two ppl especially. like i said as for a job i would like one for the experience but if i don't get one i'm fine because i do have savings so i am not depending on a job. I think that there is an opportunity to make money there by opening a business you just need the right connections

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Finding the Opportunity

... I think that there is an opportunity to make money there by opening a business you just need the right connections

3_blinde_Maeuse_zps7d5y6qb6.gif

donP

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Unfortunately i don't. I am a hairstylist but currently doing admin work for an auto shop. I'm open to anything though its just to occupy our time. Thank you

The Dominican Republic is big on hairstyling. Actually, there is usually several beauty parlours in every barrio. One of the explanations is that there is no ITBIS on beauty salon services. Hair cuts here at the better beauty parlous go for RD$800 to RD$1,200. But it is one of the areas with the most competition. You can have great hair cuts at barrio salons that will charge RD$400-RD$600.

There is a beauty parlour culture here. But there is lots of competition.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Natalie, I like your zeal.. You can make it here... You have a different flair than the other "dreamers".. I can tell a winner when I see one, hear one... Come on down... If you need a free place to stay in Punta Cana, just send me a private message.. Good luck, you go girl!

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
You sound like you have done your research and have a good sense of humour which helps a lot on this site. I am from Ajax and spend 3-4 months every winter in Sosua and I have made many friends there. I enjoy spring summer and fall in Canada and am fortunate enough to have the best of both worlds. I am not sure I could live here full time. Good luck to you and your friend in your decision and keep us informed.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Natalie, I like your zeal.. You can make it here... You have a different flair than the other "dreamers".. I can tell a winner when I see one, hear one... Come on down... If you need a free place to stay in Punta Cana, just send me a private message.. Good luck, you go girl!

That is a very interesting offer.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Natalie, you never know until you try. Just do it, you're young and will bounce back if things don't go as planned.

I arrived in the DR with a MasterCard (US$2,000 limit), didn't know a single person, was clueless, not a single word of Spanish 18yrs ago and did ok :)

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Good luck on your new adventure, I'm in the same process of moving this fall. Even the naysayers here have something to contribute, since most have probably failed to adapt because they want DR's to conform to their culture instead of embracing the good aspects of DR culture.

“Happiness is a risk. If you’re not a little scared, then you’re not doing it right.”

My 2 cents...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey guys,

My friend and I want to move to punta cana so we decided to give it a try by coming for 3 months in November. We will be renting an apartment and hopefully will find a job. Any words of advice???

Have you checked in to what is required to gain residency? Contact the closest Dominican Consulate in the US and ask if you qualify for residency. The laws have recently changed making it difficult for those who do not have the funds or are of retirement age to be able to apply for residency. This should be your first step.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hey guys,

My friend and I want to move to punta cana so we decided to give it a try by coming for 3 months in November. We will be renting an apartment and hopefully will find a job. Any words of advice???

You should try it! Why not? You guys are young and have no kids, right? This is the time to do new things.

You should first try to learn about the difficulties of living here. I once met two girls from Europe who came to work here as a part of some NGO exchange program. It was after they arrived that they learned that there was no permanent electricity. The first couple of weeks were kind of frustrating, but they later did get them an inverter.
Once they started learning Spanish, doing work in the community, making friends, attending events, traveling throughout the country, it was just a fun experience for them.

Why don't you try to find work before coming here? If you found some NGO back home that had some project here, I think it would be great for someone like you.

Good luck on your new adventure, I'm in the same process of moving this fall. Even the naysayers here have something to contribute, since most have probably failed to adapt because they want DR's to conform to their culture instead of embracing the good aspects of DR culture.

“Happiness is a risk. If you’re not a little scared, then you’re not doing it right.”

My 2 cents...

In your view what are the good aspects of DR culture?

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
Have you checked in to what is required to gain residency? Contact the closest Dominican Consulate in the US and ask if you qualify for residency. The laws have recently changed making it difficult for those who do not have the funds or are of retirement age to be able to apply for residency. This should be your first step.

No they havent. I'm at the dominican consulate in Miami as we speak. Why so many people on this site speculate on things things they don't have an f@@king clue about blows my mind!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
bronxboy no tree sitting for me lol..

well $500 a month for rent .. that right there is my biggest saving right there. split between two ppl especially. like i said as for a job i would like one for the experience but if i don't get one i'm fine because i do have savings so i am not depending on a job. I think that there is an opportunity to make money there by opening a business you just need the right connections

i do not know where you will end up, but if it is anywhere outside the hard core tourist belt, then i see a flaw in your thinking right off the bat. if you are going to be coming here to live, with the need to earn a living to survive, then talking about renting a place for 500 dollars per months is nuts. you can get very decent digs for 300 or thereabouts in most places.

Status
Not open for further replies.