Words of advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
SD is definitely much more dangerous and busy. I am literally counting the days until I finish my studies so that I can move back to the quiet beachy area. Lots of thefts of cell phones and purses in SD, and also around the bars (Drink Point is a hot spot) in the Bavaro area.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Recent changes to the immigration system here in the DR may make this a poor time to be rolling the dice on a whim.[/QUOTE

Total Bull****. There is zero chance of any foreigner being deported unless they are wanted in another Country.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are certain people posting here that are spreading a bunch of total crap on this board. NO ONE that comes here on a tourist Visa will EVER be deported for an overstay.

Any of these morons that say different can put their money where their mouth is for a large wager with me.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are rich. That $50 you take to a bar at any given time is more money that most see in a week. Some will do unspeakable things for a fraction of that amount.

If you do get a 60 day visa, for the last 30 days are you are in the country illegally and subject to deportation. I don't think you will get caught, but if you do, then you will have to shelve the business plans as you won't be coming back anytime soon. We have heard, and are waiting to see if it is true or not, the police will be randomly asking Whitey for their papers akin to the Toronto carding initiative.

Recent changes to the immigration system here in the DR may make this a poor time to be rolling the dice on a whim.[/QUOTE

Total Bull****. There is zero chance of any foreigner being deported unless they are wanted in another Country.

i really can?t see the DR government taking Martha from Banff to the nearest airport and deporting her because she had overstayed her 60 day visa.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Natalie,

First, welcome to DR1!

You've gotten a lot of great advice so far.

Remember, you're young and this is part of an adventure. So, have fun, and just use your common sense.

I'd advise being more diligent than fearful. DR can be a really great experience, especially for three months. Mind your budget, use the same judgment you would anywhere else, and find something positive to do with your spare time (read, write, learn spanish, volunteer at an NGO, etc.)

Book your return ticket before you leave home.

Other than than, relax and have fun. DR ain't perfect, but it's better than being near the Arctic Circle in winter, ya know.

Either way, good luck!:glasses:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
i will look into that as well.. Santo Domingo has a lot of jobs but i heard it was a lot more dangerous than PC .. yah im going to look into it :) 13 animals? wow sounds like a busy life lol

If you came here posting that you'll move to a place that you've never been to, people will give you "tough love" too.
So, You've been to Punta Cana, you like it there and you have the money to live there for months, why not stick to that and see how it goes?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would advise you to get a job and keep busy. Don't spend more than a few minutes a day reading DR1.com, there are so many people on here who are so negative about the country but for some reason will never leave. It really isn't as bad as people on here are saying.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We are all wasting our time posting of OUR experiences here, adds up to thousands of years.
She is not seeking advice,she is seeking VALIDATION!!!!!
That's clear because she has a "Reason" about everything of why we are wrong, and she is right!!!
I say, buy the "Orville Reddenbacher", "Nuke It" for 3 and a half minutes,"Pop-A-Top", and get ready for the ride!!!
Although, we all know, very few stick around to say,.."You Were RIGHT", they just get burned, and are never heard from again!!!!
Can't say we didn't at least TRY!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
Although, we all know, very few stick around to say,.."You Were RIGHT", they just get burned, and are never heard from again!!!!
Can't say we didn't at least TRY!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

And even fewer come back saying how they paid off their student loans in six months..

I still think their best bet is working in a beach bar in Cabarete where they can get tips and share an off season condo studio for $250-$400/month.

May as well go for the Asereje fantasy..

[video=youtube;V0PisGe66mY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0PisGe66mY[/video]

May 29, 2006
Frank is traveling. Don't know when he'll be back in the country. He can certainly give them better advice than a couple local kids. Lots of small ex pat start ups there other than beach bars and pizza places.

Status
Not open for further replies.