Words used in Dominican Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Also, check chulo (nice, attractive) vs chulu (pimp) and bacano = homeboy, "watercress" is really cute, too.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Pariguayo = idiot

chichi = baby

chula = sugar mama

cualto = money

chin= a little

chichigua = kite

macuto = large bag

cacaito = candy

carajito,carajita = child

malpiola = madam, female pimp

jalar = to put drugs up your nose

fantamoso, comparona = person who likes to show off

pico duro = smart alec

horripilante = terrible

Tu ere un muelto de hambre = you're very cheap

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Indiana a question for you, have you ever heard "malpiolo"(male pimp) as well as "malpiola" ?-- I have seen it in the dictionary, but I have never actually heard it being used.

thanks for all the input -- got more?

May 31, 2005
macocael said:
Indiana a question for you, have you ever heard "malpiolo"(male pimp) as well as "malpiola" ?-- I have seen it in the dictionary, but I have never actually heard it being used.

I have... But I think it is maipiolo. Correct me if it is malpiolo.

Jan 5, 2006
The word is maipiolo/a - a pimp or someone who sets people up with each other

'ta parao = comiendo con grasa - doing well, has money

bobote - someone who is slow, dumb

funda - bag, can also have other meanings depending on context

cajeta - much like funda, can have multiple meanings depending on context

cacu - accent on the u, someone with a large head

I'm sure that I'll think of more and post them later.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
indiana16 said:
yes, why you ask?
I ask because it seems funny to me that these are words from your everyday conversations.

I'm broke, he left abruptly, You're out of it, you're talking BS, Here comes the liar, it's a sharp knife, Dam!, Dam!, What the hell, liar, liar, sugar daddy, to be full of, prostitute.

Jan 5, 2006
macocael said:
Ta parao -- so that is what is meant in Pochy's old merengue when he sings, "parao, parao, el hombre lleg? parao" or are we talking doble-sentido here?

If you remember, that song says: "El hombre llego parao porque vino de Nueva York", meaning that the man came back in good standing (with money) because he came from New York.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Rocky said:
15 years, and still learning.
If you don't mind me asking, are a born & bred Dominican?
If so, then maybe I have to relearn a few expressions, for instance, for me, cuero means slut, not prostitute. That is to say, as I understand it, a cuero does not necessarily do it for money.
Also, I would say mentiroso/a, for a liar.
Around Sosua, when one refers to a woman's chulo, they are talking about her pimp.
Please let me know how sure you are about these words/expressions, as it is a lot harder to unlearn the mistakes I learned, than to learn something for the first time, and my brain is getting lazy (aragan).

Maybe its just me, but I don't think that the terms slut, b!tch and wh@re are adequately distinguished in Latin culture, certainly not in the DR. Many times I want to call someone a b!tch because the are just being agressively disagreeable or a general a pain in the @ss in a uniquely femenine way, but the only way that occurs to me to express this involves accusing them of being a prostitute which has nothing to do with it.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
right, that is it, I couldnt remember the whole lyric. After all, it has been a few years. Thanks again Hipocrito!

Havent heard cac? myself, but we have a neighbor in the campo whose apodo is "caco de carpia" or fish head, if I have that right (caco =casco, helmet or head, and carpia I guess is the colloquial form of carp or fish?)

Jan 5, 2006
MrMike, there really is no direct translation for "bitch", as the words puta, cuero, or prostituta are never interpreted to mean a woman who is a pain the the a$$.

Macocael, looking at your nick just made me think of some more words.

maco - tadpole, frog

bicho - kid

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MrMike said:
Maybe its just me, but I don't think that the terms slut, b!tch and wh@re are adequately distinguished in Latin culture, certainly not in the DR. Many times I want to call someone a b!tch because the are just being agressively disagreeable or a general a pain in the @ss in a uniquely femenine way, but the only way that occurs to me to express this involves accusing them of being a prostitute which has nothing to do with it.

In the DR, the term 'puta' is derogatory', and the actual word used is 'complaciente', a euphemism which translates roughly to 'sexually obliging'. However, a puta is not necessarily a 'cuero', which describes a woman who offers sex for money or goods, and involves a whole different mindset...

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
MrMike said:

If she is being a pain in the @ss I would say: tu si azara, o dejas de estar azarando, o no me azare, azarosa. Very vulgar. Or vete para el carajo.

Carajito(a)= A child (very vulgar)
tiguerito(a)= A child (very vulgar)

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
macocael said:

yes malpiolo is the male version
when I come up with more I'll post them.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Stodgord, I thought azaroso meant "risky" and "tu si azaras" would be like, "you sure run risks," or "you are about to cross the line." Is this a case of Dominican adaptation, or are you really just saying to the "bitch" that by being bitchy she is taking chances?

I always thought "perra," the literal translation (which you always see in subtitles) carried more or less the same metaphorical meaning as well here. Is that really not the case? I wouldnt think to use cuero in the same context, and I dont think the "b's" that I know would understand me if I did -- they would certainly be more deeply insulted, though, that much I am sure of.

Jan 5, 2006
azarar = joder = really bother someone, also means to give someone bad luck
i.e. - you're playing a game for money, and someone shows up and brings you bad luck. "Ya llego este a azararme!" - That guy has bad luck = Ese tipo esta azarao.

perro/a = someone who's dirty in a bad way. i.e. - Esa mujer es una perra!

Again, there is no direct translation for "bitch" in the context that you guys are referencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.