Work from Home questions

Jan 17, 2009
Google voice, US number, with a OBI so you can use a regular phone set. No cost for the US number. About $50 for the OBI (Amazon).

Can they tell you're abroad? Yes, they can! I called once using my google voice number to an 800 number in the US and the person said, so you're calling form the Dominican Republic.

You'll need a VPN and your modem/router set to use it.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hope you can make it work. I've been thinking of doing something similar, but for me I would have to travel no matter what. Still I would love for my flight to be to The DR every weekend instead of coming back to Michigan. I've been trying to crunch the numnbers to see if it makes sense, but the issue with me is that my flight expenses are very variable depending on where I have to be working and of course the client is not going to pay extra for me to fly to The DR so that would be on me.

In terms of communication I think your best bet is to get a google voice number and good internet connection in The DR. With the GV number you can have a computer or other device ring at home or just use your regular cell phone with Talkatone. This is what I use when I'm in Mexico and it seems to work good. Of course you'll need a good enough connection for the calls not to drop too much.

I remember one time I was in The DR and was in the middle of a client conference call when a neighbor's rooster decided to start "chanting". I wasn't even noticing it until someone asked who had a rooster in the background? LOL...good thing they knew I was in The DR. If I had tried to fake my location I would have been caught big time.

Expat: I believe that's a setting with google voice. If you go into settings I'm pretty sure there's an option to let you set what number to show the party you called (The GV or your other phone number). Plus if your carrier is Sprint you can fully integrate the accounts that way everything is seamless.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you need that Delta 'anywhere' ticket..... employees pay $3.000 and sell them for around $5000....

One year of unlimited travel

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Just use Skype or even CallCentral....Skype runs about 28 bucks for Sub and your own number per Month...Sub is once a Month for unlimited calls to the US or you can pick World Wide for a bit more, between 18 -22 bucks..Your rnumber you can pick anywhere in the USA, cost is only 7 bucks and can add more numbers if you want...

Call Central is pretty much the same, 40 bucks per Month total, has your own number, email, fax, its like an office online, pretty cool...With those 2, nobody knows where you are...Or, just download a HidMyIP program..The ones that work, work very well!! Back in the day here in the DR, Codetel blocked all IPS going to the US which made my DISH a pile of metal..I signed on for hidemyip and I was back up...There is a site called CNet, take a look around for some free programs ..

Anthony

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Thanks everyone,
These are legit US companies. I would be an RN Maternal Case Manager. There are several different openings but basically the job descriptions say I would be telephonically providing health education, coaching and guidance to expectant and post-partum mothers. Coordinating necessary services and follow up with patients following hospital discharge, making outbound calls to members, providing education to patients, coordinating member care & making referrals.
All of the positions require RN with High Risk OB and Labor and Deivery experience of 3-5 years (I have almost 13 yrs) so we'll see.
If I by chance get an interview, then I'll feel then out and tell them that I had a 2 weeks vacation planned to DR but would like to work during the vacation and see what they say. If totally against it then I know I can't do it, but if they say something like "That's no problem, as long as you have phone and internet access" then I know it'll be okay.
The positions are $25 - $35/hr. It would be a dream come true for me if I didn't have to get on a plane every week anymore.

I will look into all suggestions. Thanks so much :)

SHALENA

Most Case Managers work from home, especially on the insurance side. Question though, would you be receiving clinical information? That would require a secure fax line. Reason I am asking is I have 2 family members that are CM's for a large insurance company and they work from home. That is all the requirement they needed. One of them still did her "CM" duties while here visiting me.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Most Case Managers work from home, especially on the insurance side. Question though, would you be receiving clinical information? That would require a secure fax line. Reason I am asking is I have 2 family members that are CM's for a large insurance company and they work from home. That is all the requirement they needed. One of them still did her "CM" duties while here visiting me.

I will receive information, yes. I am sure I will need a fax. I was thinking that if I could snag one of those positions, I will turn my hab. de servicio into an office if I could find someone to install the necessary lines I will need for the office equipment.
Believe me, I am very willing. If I could get one of these positions, I plan to do it well so I can stay home.

Do you mind giving my email address to your 2 family members. I would like to as how I could set up my cover letter as to make myself more attractive. I have never done an office job, 13 years in teaching hospitals.

shalenarn@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot,
SHALENA

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I will receive information, yes. I am sure I will need a fax. I was thinking that if I could snag one of those positions, I will turn my hab. de servicio into an office if I could find someone to install the necessary lines I will need for the office equipment.
Believe me, I am very willing. If I could get one of these positions, I plan to do it well so I can stay home.

Do you mind giving my email address to your 2 family members. I would like to as how I could set up my cover letter as to make myself more attractive. I have never done an office job, 13 years in teaching hospitals.

shalenarn@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot,
SHALENA

I will contact them tomorrow and get some of their ideas and pass along your info. I can tell you that one works for Aetna and the other works for a HMO Medicaid product. The one who works for the HMO Medicaid product I knows does the Case Managing for moms who may have some needs outside of a regular delivery and NICU babies. I know some of the Blue Cross products moved their "CM" depts out of the USA so clearly this can be done in the DR.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I will contact them tomorrow and get some of their ideas and pass along your info. I can tell you that one works for Aetna and the other works for a HMO Medicaid product. The one who works for the HMO Medicaid product I knows does the Case Managing for moms who may have some needs outside of a regular delivery and NICU babies. I know some of the Blue Cross products moved their "CM" depts out of the USA so clearly this can be done in the DR.
Thanks so much.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
OK, so I hate to get all religion-fied (that's my own word) on y'all but I'll be needing some prayer.

Just got another email wanting me to teach prenatal classes to poor women in a sector in the south of Santiago, this will be another free service. I really need to get one of these work from home jobs.

I am working on my cover letter now, gonna wait to hear what keepcoming's family says that I can do to make myself more attractive. I've got the experience, the drive and motivation, the NEED....so all that I see is missing is the Big Guy upstairs giving me the seal of approval.

I don't go to church much (OK...never) but I vaguely remember something in the bible stating that if 2 or more people pray for something.....

So you get what I'm asking for. Where's Chip? Isn't he like God's right hand man? I'm trying to joke but really, if you do pray, please add me into it for one of these jobs. It would help me soooo much and I could do sooooo many more classes. Even if you don't like me.....THINK OF THE BABIES!!!

Best Baby Laughing Video Compilation 2013 - YouTube

SHALENA

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I have faith (yes me) that things will work out for you. You have a lot to offer and a lot of insurance companies are looking to have CM's work from home. Less overhead for them they say. And most of the staff meetings I have been told about are web based. One of the hospitals we did medical billing for has all its coders working from home. I will follow up on that tomorrow.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
That depends if you claim it as a tax return....Some sites such as Elance gives you that option...I would just keep things under the table, who would know?? With Elance, you can setup your bank info, then when your client pays you is directly deposited into your account no matter the bank location..Have a ATM card attached to it and you're good to go or you can also make a check, kind of like paypal so to speak, have a few good options and again, who knows...

Anthony

How does the DR handle taxing temporary residents earning money from an US company deposited in a US bank then withdrawn from a DR bank.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
Any updates on this thread? Did you end up getting the job?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Guys...had an interview last Friday. Feel really confident. Its Nurse Case Mgr work from home and I'd have 75 pregnant Medicaid clients. Perfect for me. Don't care for the hours (11:30am-8:30pm) because its really 8:30am-5:30pm but my members would be in California. But its work from home so I'll take whatever.

Well,they are interviewing more nurses this week so I won't know anything till next week but the Manager just called me back to clarify some things from the interview and she told me that I am a strong candidate...

BUT

She also explained that if I was hired that the company would provide all of my work from home business equipment. Computer, Modem, phone, etc.
My plan was to stay in NYC for the 3 week training and then set myself up in DR with the ways yoiu guys suggested to have an IP address in the US. My concern is will they be able to track their equipment?
I mean, TECHNICALLY, they didn't say that they wanted me in the states but my resume has a New York address.

Can they track the equipment?

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
check with the cable company. I have a VIP line (cc. 4k rds per month) and it gives me a fixed IP in Miami...

Good luck Shalena, bet your kids would love it you being at home :)

BelgianK

What cable company is that?

SHALENA

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Will you have to make phone calls ?
I don't see how they could track the equipment but if they provide a phone, I wonder how u can go around them not noticing.
If you get the job, maybe you can inquire about being based overseas.

In any case, good luck ! Hope u get it !

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Shalena,

Wait until you get the offer, tell them you generally spend significant time in the caribbean, and ask if there's any issue with working from there when you're overseas.

Once you have an offer in hand, you should get a favorable response, esp. given the fact the company thinks you live on the other side of the country, anyway.

Good luck!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena,

Wait until you get the offer, tell them you generally spend significant time in the caribbean, and ask if there's any issue with working from there when you're overseas.

Once you have an offer in hand, you should get a favorable response, esp. given the fact the company thinks you live on the other side of the country, anyway.

Good luck!

I was thinking of that. I would hate to get the job only to be fired sometime later for withholding information or such. So, since they already know that I'll be in DR from tomorrow until the 26th (I told them I was going for family business, in case they tried to reach me on my US number), if I am offered the job I will say that exact thing (that I spend significant time in the Carribean and would it be a problem for me to work from there when I'm there). Letting them know that I have a home office (or will) and that I will still be able to perform the job.

If God wants me to have the job or its for me, they will let me do it. If not, I will turn it down unfortunately. Because if I ask and they say no, they will be watching me to see if I will pull something. And why would I want a work from home job in the States? That defeats my purpose.

And then again...I may not be offered the job at all. Problem solved.

SHALENA