World Baseball Classic's Schedules And Results - Round 2

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
miguel said:
I guess that, as I said after Canada beat the USA, the USA was not the team to beat.

I am not one bit surprise that we (yes, we) are losing to the Koreanitos.

The "fat lady" have not stopped singing but the way that the USA are playing, they deserve to lose.

Hola Miguel! :classic:

A very impressive win by the Dominican Republic today!!!

I would LOVE to see a game between the Dominican Republic and Korea. After the game, all of them can go to a bar and drink Presidentes and sing Aventura songs!!! Un Beso~~~~~~ :D :cool: :bunny:

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Korea's Motivation

Congrats Potato_Salad on a beautiful victory by team Korea. Wow, they beat the giant team. Korea should now be called the giant killer!

Anyway, NYT reported that the Korean president offered the entire team exemption to the otherwise mandatory military service if they advance to the semi-finals - which they just about did by winning last night since they have the lowest RA/9 from the pool. Implied in this is what I've suspected from many of the big overpaid MLB stars - that they don't really have a motivation to play their hardest day in and day out since they have guaranteed contracts. When was the last time you saw a football player (whose contracts are not guaranteed) taking it easy on the field?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Right on.

DRPAWA said:
Anyway, NYT reported that the Korean president offered the entire team exemption to the otherwise mandatory military service if they advance to the semi-finals - which they just about did by winning last night since they have the lowest RA/9 from the pool. Implied in this is what I've suspected from many of the big overpaid MLB stars - that they don't really have a motivation to play their hardest day in and day out since they have guaranteed contracts. When was the last time you saw a football player (whose contracts are not guaranteed) taking it easy on the field?
How can overly-catered MLB "stars" compete with that kind of motivation?

Finally (Robert) a "World Series".

Kudos to the Koreanitos!

Great story developing.

Has anyone else picked up on the media finally realizing (acknowleding) what we have known all along? - that is the VZ/DR/PR/CUBA games are head-and-shoulders above the others in emotion, dramatics and spirit.

I'm leaving work early so that I can catch the last half of today's VZ/DR game.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yes Korea does have motivation and its great

DRPAWA said:
Congrats Potato_Salad on a beautiful victory by team Korea. Wow, they beat the giant team. Korea should now be called the giant killer!

Sadly reminds us of the Last Dream Team from the NBA. No Motivation, and no national pride, just for the money. Too bad MLB is no better. Hope they lose this one too. As it's what they deserve! US major league sports have no business competing at the international level until they decide to put the competition first, and their ego's last.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'm leaving early again, too, Cleef! You gotta love having a flexible job, or I never would've been able to keep up with this series. I am loving the WBC, even much more than the MLB "World" Series. It's been fantastic entertainment thus far.

Great insight on the Korean team, DRPAWA. I'll have to look up the full story. Thanks!

Cleef said:
How can overly-catered MLB "stars" compete with that kind of motivation?

Finally (Robert) a "World Series".

Kudos to the Koreanitos!

Great story developing.

Has anyone else picked up on the media finally realizing (acknowleding) what we have known all along? - that is the VZ/DR/PR/CUBA games are head-and-shoulders above the others in emotion, dramatics and spirit.

I'm leaving work early so that I can catch the last half of today's VZ/DR game.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
DRPAWA so kindly sent me the article, and upon reading it, I do hope the Korean team goes all the way. I'm a bit of a bleeding heart, so upon reflecting upon the driving force of their motivation, I'm now really rooting for this (so-called) "underdog". I realize they only have to advance past this round, not win the whole tournament, to be exempt from military service, but you have to admit, this team has shown heart that no other team can hold a candle to. The "Carribean" portion of the tournment is all about machismo and pride, the Korean team is playing for the chance to escape manditory military service and therefore have a longer ball career. It's a little difficult to compete with this motivator or potential reward. Who can doubt future scouting may pay a little more attention to Korean prospects following this tournament?

Of course, I hope they face the DR in the end. At that point, may the best team win!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

trina said:
DRPAWA so kindly sent me the article, and upon reading it, I do hope the Korean team goes all the way.
Is the link a secret?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
DRPAWA said:

Thank you for your kind words. :classic:

A lot of these Korean players have yet to serve in the military. And the military service is 2 and a half years. So many of them are motivated to win and become exempt.

And a few of the players are trying to impress the scouts from the U.S. and Japan.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
trina said:
DRPAWA so kindly sent me the article, and upon reading it, I do hope the Korean team goes all the way. I'm a bit of a bleeding heart, so upon reflecting upon the driving force of their motivation, I'm now really rooting for this (so-called) "underdog". I realize they only have to advance past this round, not win the whole tournament, to be exempt from military service, but you have to admit, this team has shown heart that no other team can hold a candle to. The "Carribean" portion of the tournment is all about machismo and pride, the Korean team is playing for the chance to escape manditory military service and therefore have a longer ball career. It's a little difficult to compete with this motivator or potential reward. Who can doubt future scouting may pay a little more attention to Korean prospects following this tournament?

Of course, I hope they face the DR in the end. At that point, may the best team win!

I hope to see a DR vs. Korea finals too!!! :D

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
DRPAWA said:
But how did Trina know I was cool? har har har!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/sports/baseball/14chass.html

There's the link. I just don't know if it's okay to post it nor whether you'll be able to access it since you do need a login.

Sorry if I broke any rules by posting this link - do delete if necessary.

Thank you for the link. I enjoyed reading it!!! :classic:

Also, another motivation is that the Korean players want an opportunity to play in the U.S. or Japan. The Korean baseball players are not paid very much.

For example, the U.S. players' on Team USA combined salary is 21.5 times that of the combined salary of the baseball players for Team Korea.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I hope that Korea beats Japan again tomorrow and send them back home. And I hope the U.S. advance instead of Japan.

Ichiro said that Korea would not beat his country in the next 30 years. Not only is Ichiro an idiot for saying that, but also he should be man enough to apologize and shut his mouth from now on.

And congratulations to the Dominican Republic team!!! :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Last but not least, I would love to see the Dominican Republic against Korea in the next round. :D :bunny: :cool:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Top of the 2nd inning

Korea 0
Japan 0

Hopefully Korea can help the U.S. advance to the next round. And send Ichiro back to his country. :D :bunny:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Thundersticks were invented in Korea. :bunny: :chinese:

riyp2f.jpg

riyp74.jpg

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Potato_Salad said:
Hopefully Korea can help the U.S. advance to the next round. And send Ichiro back to his country. :D :bunny:
Actually, if Japan loses Ichiro will be sent to Seattle (or wherever there spring training camp is), not Japan.:)

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Top of the 3rd inning

Korea 0
Japan 0

The Japanese guy was out at the plate (while trying to slide home). :bunny:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
rellosk said:
Actually, if Japan loses Ichiro will be sent to Seattle (or wherever there spring training camp is), not Japan.:)

Ah that's right. My bad. :D

I hope Korea can win (and keep America's hopes alive). :bunny: