Wyclef Jean running for President in Haiti ?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Wyclef Jean defends his Yele Haiti Foundation, but admits mistakes were made in the past

Yes, mistakes were made. And he admitted them.
But the important thing to read in this interview is when he is talking about evacutating 2 million people from PauP - when he says

"If I give you my word, if I tell them to go, they will go," said Jean, choking back tears.

Because - on this point - he is right. The Haitian people will follow him. And that is so much better than a puppet bureaucrat . THAT is a leader.

Not only a leader but one who worked his way out of the projects in NYC - who has experienced poverty and danger and drug dealing and ALL that and risen to the top.

(I am a bit stunned to read that Rush Limbaugh likes him - evidently
Rush has not listened to his lyrics!)

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
rule #1 start teaching english in kindergarden.
#2 speaking french is not a profession neither an art. That weapon is a killer to the masses.
bonne journee, je drois aller travailler maintenant.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
YouTube - Wyclef Jean-If I Was President

The fact that he has no experience in Haiti politics is probably his greatest asset. He has been involved with NGO aid to Haiti for quite a while and knows who makes things move there. The whole gang of current politicians has done nothing significant for the peope of Haiti and should be retired and replaced.

As for him being "eaten alive by the forces that control Haitian politics" you must be joking. This guy hasn't been "eaten alive" by the forces that control the record and movie industries where he's proven to be very successful. He's been swimming in a much larger and scarier pond than "Haitian politics" for years.

This is a guy who could inspire a mass migration back to Haiti of people who are separated by a generation from their birthright, well educated and adept at 1st World business practices.

i really don't think that the music industry comes even close to the shark pond that is normal politics, let alone politics in a country like haiti. records industry execs might get sacked and artists screwed, but they don't run the risk of being killed or exiled in an armed coup. besides, aristide and papa doc had the backing of the people as well when they were elected, that didn't make them good presidents.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
i really don't think that the music industry comes even close to the shark pond that is normal politics, let alone politics in a country like haiti. records industry execs might get sacked and artists screwed, but they don't run the risk of being killed or exiled in an armed coup. besides, aristide and papa doc had the backing of the people as well when they were elected, that didn't make them good presidents.
Yeah but growing up in the projects in NYC certainly qualifies. Wyclef talks (and sings) about his doings with drug gangs, his brushes with death. The main issue is that the people LOVE him - and will follow him. The Haitian government now is just a shell. The real direction comes from the World Bank (heaven help them!) who holds the money and the IHRC which is directed by Clinton (and Bellerive - who is really running things since Preval is just - well- absent)

Anyway - I am not hearing any other names right now but certainly there will be 42 candidates!

Reactions: Tamborista

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

You might be surprised.
Bad people are attracted to glamour (as are most people).
To survive in the music industry of the '90s you needed eyes in the back of your head, a couple of very big dudes to extract your money from the 'company' and a reputation of doing 'orrible things to anybody that disrespected the situation.

I am not being facetious here.

Things were even worse in clubland at this time.

But regardles, Clef's uncle may be running (he is the Haitian ambassador to the US at the moment?) so I wouldn't think they would both run.

And I want to see a president with dreads.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
E

engineerfg

If Wyclef Jean can run for the president of Haiti, as a Canadian, I would like to be the first to nominate early 90's rapper SNOW to run for the Prime Ministership of Canada!

snow_ds.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D39Lm_HRfOs&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D39Lm_HRfOs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Think about it, what's the first thing you think of when you think of Canada? SNOW!

Hey Hey Ho Ho, Harper's Gotta Go, Vote Snow!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A leader with a strong political will and stance is what is needed...

After reading through the posts in the thread, and a link in the Daily News, I am not sure Wyclef Jean could swing it. As much as I like the fact that he's involved in the country and interested in becoming more than just someone who 'contributes' from the Diaspora, he would be too green in the political arena.

Based on some of the thoughts in the thread:

In my opinion, popularity with the masses is important but not as important as his would be challenge to get Haiti up and running as a functional independent nation which would take any president decades to achieve. However, slowly chipping away at some short term attainable goals will lay the foundation for the long term sustainable ones. This is not impossible but the president to be has to work with a viable plan and not go into the role with an empty plate. Yes, he will be guided by external political forces but s/he has to have an outline / strategy for the rebirth of Haiti. Let's face it this nation is virtually starting from scratch so everything from education, to employment creation, health care etc needs to be addressed and a plan designed to implement over time.

I hope the fact that people like him or whoever does not mean a president will be elected based on such criteria. Popularity helps to a certain extent and is needed but I hope it's not popularity equivalent to a presidency fuelled by 'charisma' which is not unfamiliar to Latin America. A charismatic leader is not what Haiti needs in my opinion. I like the idea of the possible future president being from the Haitian Diaspora because he should be void of the Haitian homegrown corrupt political culture per se thus bringing a different mindset to the arena or simply this is his dream to lead his country one day and it can be done. Bottom line is I don't think this nation can nosedive any further. The situation is dismal. The reality tells the tale. The people need to rise up and so does the next would be leader. I am glad Wyclef Jean is concerned about the country beyond his current interests but I think some political experience is definitely needed if he has a chance at succeeding meaning being elected and being successful over time.

I think other more renowned Haitians from the Diaspora need to rise up to the forefront as well. They do not have to run for presidency but they certainly need to play a more active role in moving Haiti forward. Sending money and supporting certain organizations is not enough. With complacency nothing will change and as a result the people will remain in 'survival mode' to the end of time. It will take a collaborate effort to get Haiti (somewhat) functional again.

President Wyclef Jean? Former Fugee singer considers running for president of quake-ravaged Haiti

rule #1 start teaching english in kindergarden.
#2 speaking french is not a profession neither an art. That weapon is a killer to the masses.
bonne journee, je drois aller travailler maintenant.

Can you explain what you mean by your point #2 about speaking French. Are you saying/ implying that because only a small percentage i.e. the elite Haitians speak French thus the general masses are excluded? If so, I think the population should learn French since it's the hierarchy language of Creole. By learning French they definitely would identify with 'la francophonie' which would only be a plus to any Haitian.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Marianopolita -

I agree with a lot of your analysis.
There are a couple of flies in the ointment though -

The diaspora cannot generally run for president as there is a rule about dual citizenship and length of residency in Haiti that would prevent the vast majority of the diaspora from qualifying. This needs to change as most of Haiti's competent people choose to live in Miami. (Can't blame them!!)(Cleffy's uncle has a diplomatic passport so could qualify - M.A. - what do you think?)

Haiti is much worse off than just starting from scratch.
The current political BS has been entrenched over generations - this needs to be fixed before anything good will be delivered from the "top down".
The current mess was very easy to assemble but is very hard to take apart.

What Haiti needs (I absolutely hate that phrase coming from someone like me) is a president who can stop "the people" from going nuts and setting the country back into violence. That would be the worst thing for Haitians. A personality like "The Cleffster" might just be able to pull that off.
If someone could keep a lid on what is so obviously now building every day then we might stand half a chance.
If not then we are back to 2004 with a huge extra dollop of humanitarian crisis as well as the usual political and violence crisis.

Anyway - it looks like Ti-Jean will not stand because of his uncle's bid.

So I hope, and not for entirely selfish reasons, that somebody pulls this off and "everything little thing is gonna be OK"

One other consideration. Although Haitians love Cleffy, they also talk about him being not-real - not like Tupac who would really get sh!t done.

What about the US General as President and Tupac as Prime Minister -

Maybe we could get him to come out of of hiding??
If he did then I am sure Tupac would be up for it as well....:bunny:

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks for the clarification...good info

Pedrochemical-

Okay thanks for that clarification regarding the Diaspora not being able to run for presidency. That's too bad because I think a few would have been eligible candidates from what I have seen in terms of local leadership in the Haitian community in Montreal (just one example).

Well, time will tell when all the candidates present themselves soon and the elections take place in November.

I think 'who' the people elect will speak volumes about their view/ outlook of the political condition of the country.

-MP.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And one final thought:

The idea of a rapper becoming the president of Haiti sounds ridiculous.

That for me is the reason to consider it in the first place.

Tragic Ridiculous Comedians.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The diaspora cannot generally run for president as there is a rule about dual citizenship and length of residency in Haiti that would prevent the vast majority of the diaspora from qualifying. This needs to change as most of Haiti's competent people choose to live in Miami.

This was one of the issues of concern in my previous questions about the rules and laws that are operating in this election and who is making basic decisions about how the November elections will be conducted. If Preval is governing under state of emergency presidential decree power, and if he has delegated the authority to the CEP to conduct the elections, couldn't the CEP simply decide that Haitians in the diaspora are elligible to participate and run in the elections?

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Pedro, I do not think that is so much ridiculous. He might help change the culture.
He might help getting rid off that old class of politician from after baby doc Jean Claude Duvalier. (group 57) the communist wannabes.
I would be delighted to see the inaugural speech done in Creole to the people, and English to the international community and not a word in FRENCH. Woopi!!!! I would be so happy

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
It is a constitutional thing - needs to be changed but , I guess, the Kingmakers do not want this to change - so there would be a political struggle - which in Haiti means that it never happens.

Mind you, article 22 of the constitution goes on about the right to decent housing provided by the Haitian government to all Haitians.

They seem to have let that one slip a little so why not the Diaspora/President thing?

But as I repeat - "It's all a right load of bloomin' cobblers mate!"
Elections?
Nothing relevant is happening.

Nothing that might bring positive change in any way.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It is a constitutional thing - needs to be changed but , I guess, the Kingmakers do not want this to change - so there would be a political struggle - which in Haiti means that it never happens.

I understand a little bit about constitutions. Very few of them, and I doubt the Haitian variety, provide for presidential rule by decree and states of emergency, although the right to declare a state of emergency and proceed in this way seems to be universally accepted as inherent in sovereign governments. But, assuming Preval in fact as extra-constitutional power at the moment and has delegated that power to the CEP, you are probably absolutely right about there being no political will to permit Haitians in the diaspora to run or participate in this or any other election. I do think, however, that they have the power to do it. It seems to me that the current situation provides a perfect opportunity to begin a whole new political dynamic in Haiti. But, as you said, it probably won't happen.

That being said, it does appears that Wyclef is already dealing with this issue, and is making preparations to comply with existing law to run for president. As I have been reflecting on the many news media reports and the great information that has been posted here since the earthquake, I do not recall seeing anything that his uncle has done, at least publicly. His name seems to just recently surfaced after Wyclef started considering this move.

By the way, I assume that the current Prime Minister and Minister of Tourism will also be candidates for president?

Last edited:
E

engineerfg

Let's just be frank. Haiti's not ready for democracy. It's sad but true. They need a strongman to go in and force change to happen. Even if said strongman is a puppet of foreign business interests. If they leave it to the pueblo, nothing will get done. I blame the ingrained French stubbornness. It's hard to breed that out!

Wyclef Jean, he could be their Ronald Reagan. Good for business interests, and screw the peublo without them knowing it...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

Tupac Shakur
Biggie Smalls
Sam Cooke

Hell...read 'em for yourself:

Category:Murdered entertainers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anybody remember Reuben Blades' run for the Presidency of Panama? This is not unheard of and not some new precedent. Whether or not anybody other than voting Haitians believe it they are ready to participate in the democratic process of running their own country as much as the people of any other country.

You sound like the guys who used to make excuses for Apartheid in South Africa....then came Mandela!

May 29, 2006
Haiti needs leadership, but this does not mean it needs a junta. Wyclef would be an interesting choice not because of what he knows, but who he knows. He has achieved a status above any other Haitian and is good friends with the Clintons I also like that he focused on water distribution after the quake. Any new leader needs outside independent supervision to keep things legit. A new constitution would prob help too. If Wyclef can be an effective communicator with reasonable goals, half the battle is won.