Wyclef Jean running for President in Haiti ?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Just to clarify.

'The Diaspora' is many things.
People seem to forget that the vast majority of expat Haitians do not do well in the US.
They, on average, have lower paid jobs and are overrepresented in US prisons.

When people talk of 'The Diaspora' they usually refer to the richer Haitian expats.
To say these people could not make it in Haiti is not necessarily true.
Of the richer 'Diaspora' most made their money in Haiti and decided to live elsewhere because of political, security, infrastructure, education and health care problems - and many just because Miami, in particular, offers better opportunities for them and their children.
These people very much have "made it" in Haiti, built houses and rented them out to afford a finer life in the much cheaper, more congenial environment they find in Florida.

I agree that The Fugee does not seem like presidential material but compared to the other options - who does?
Bellerive, possibly, but apart from him, nobody is going to sweep the board with anything like universal popularity.
And to be honest, the new president is not going to be running anything. That is going to be done by outsiders who control and account for the money in conjunction with (or in spite of) the people who hold power here.

Cleff's function, and one that I think he could do well, is to persuade people to stay calm. That is crucial if people are going to invest their hard earned cash here - which is exactly what needs to happen if the lives of Haitians are going to improve - that is, they need jobs.

Wyclef is a showman and a communicator. Preval is very much not which is one of the reasons that Preval's popularity has taken a dive recently. Although he is a calm, steady man who has mediated between political factions to keep relative calm since he was elected, he has not come out with the grand statements about the need to pull together, celebrate being Haitian and all that clap-trap that people like and need to hear in times of peril.
Secondary as it may sound, in the coming years in Haiti if we are to avoid a lot of violence and heartache and the resulting catastrophic withdrawal of private investment, Haitian voters need to feel that they are being listened to - even if they are not. That will be crucial.

• Do I think Wyclef could run the country well? No.
  • Do I think he could be a successful president? Yes.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yup, some Haitians do well in the states but I am right about poverty among Haitian immigrants to the USA - sorry if that hurts your feelings but it is true.

Of course everybody who makes it ti the US is on average going to better than in Haiti - why else would they go? Why elsewoul dthat be a prime ambition of an alarming amount of Haitians?
Indeed why would the US be so interested in putting Haiti back together? Because they are nice people? NO! It is exactly because they do not want mass immigration from Haiti which is exactly what is going to happen if things stay the same or get any worse.

There has been a lot said about wealthy Haitians paying for and provoking the street violence in Port au Prince over the past years. That may or may not be true but you should give the Haitian electorate a little credit.
They know the next president will not be running the country.
They just want someone who will talk to them. Someone who will mediate between vested interests, possibly, but certainly someone who will keep the peace.

Again-

Do I think Cleff could run the country? No!
Do I think he could be a good president? Yes

And, of course, it does not matter whether the 'Diaspora' like the idea or not. They do not vote.
I suggest you come to Port au Prince and hear what people are saying.
And anyway it looks like he is not running so it is a moot point.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I should rephrase that last part.
Do I think he could make a good president - better than the self interested rabble that are clamoring for fame power and money to build a new two bedroom extension to their houses in Boca and Jacmel that we see at the moment.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And you should really think before you invite a Haitian with business interests and residences both in the states and in haiti to come to port-au-prince.

I do not understand this part?
Why should I think before inviting anybody anywhere?
Please explain.

This is a discussion forum and I state my opinion.
Nothing personal.
I have a vested interest in Haiti remaining calm.
I see that this possibility is receding every day and I personally beleive that Mr Jean would be no worse for the nation than the bloated buffoons and comedians that are currently being proposed.

When were you, personally, last in Haiti?

Things are changing for the worse.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Much has been said about Jean's popularity and how that alone would propel him to the presidency... how the people would follow his leadership...

That may well be. (Sadly I have never been to Haiti, so I can't know if that is the case.) This article does shows that his popularity may not necessarily translate to a winning campaign:

Wyclef Jean, President of Haiti: Do Haitians like the sound of that?

Ms. Ulysse, who says she likes Wyclef’s music but prefers Celine Dion, also raised doubts about his understanding of Haiti. “I don’t really think he knows the country,” she said. “He’s like an American.”

I don't know which bodes worse for Clef- that she thinks of him more as an American than Haitian, or that she prefers Celine Dion! ;)

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Pedrochemical;

I read your opinion......i am simply stating mine.

Apparently we both have interest in Haiti...we simply disagree on Clef.

No big deal.

The vast majority of fellow haitians I have spoken with are laughing at the prospect of the uneducated ex-rapper as president of haiti....and so am I.

There are plenty of educated people in haiti with knowledge of the treacherous political terrain who could be president....Clef does not even come close.

Who would like to see as President in Haiti?

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Celine Dion, Because she sings both in French and English. She was well known with her french songs in Haiti way before the english ones. to the elitist in Haiti that kind of music shows class and good taste. That’s the way the French sings at least used to. Listen to any Haitian radio station to see how many times those 30 40 year old french songs are popping up. They sure do not like rap, baggy pants, dreadlocks etc… In Haiti or in the US (the parents that is). But, where did all that take the country or its people?
Now it is time for some change. Drop that aristocratic French BS (it is not the language in itself, it is the use of it that turns it into a weapon of mass destruction)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
There are plenty of educated people in haiti with knowledge of the treacherous political terrain who could be president....Clef does not even come close.

you've had 200 years of those kinds of people as president and they always end up impeached or in problems in some manner.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And as for education.
My degree was the least part of my ongoing education.
Life teaches me more than a university ever could.
I could never have imagined the experiences I have had in recent times in Haiti - good and bad.

I am not saying that I would like to see him as president but if he can get himself elected then he would do less damage than most of the candidates.

He would certainly have Haiti on the news and in the public eye much more.That is important in itself.

Anyway, as I keep saying- he is probably not standing.

Has anyone else any names to put forward for President?

Apart from Celine Dione - ;)

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
and someone like Wyclef will be eaten alive...or be a total puppet and object of derision.

You don't replace the mediocre with the totally clueless.

The totally clueless?

The reason Preval - who let's face it has abused the system less than most, is handing over power without a fight and has kept the peace relatively well - is so unpopular is that he cannot do the one thing we know Wyclef can do - work a crowd.

Haiti is the one place on earth where I can imagine a personality being effective.

Anyway, thankfully it is the Haitian electorate who will decide rather than the Diaspora or expats like us who think we know what is best for this country.

Again, Mr Antichrist - who would you like to see as President?
Give us a name, please.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
But haiti's problems are deeper than that. Many countries with the same issues have been able to progress economically.

Haiti's problems started with Petion and the continuing weakening of the state and its war against the nation. The bankrupting of the government with the paying of the independence debt to France......schools were closed just to pay the ridiculous sum......the ex slaves were never emancipated....a national vision never emerged.

It definitely needs international help....but most of that help has been chanelled thru NGOs....NGOs cannot develop a country.

Your perspective holds valued insight. I totally agree with the parliamentary democracy application for Haiti. That alone will solve many of the country's former problems and improve accountability:

Westminster Model
Citizens elect members to Parliament; the majority party then elects the executive branch. The Prime Minister can be removed by a vote of no confidence from Parliament. Bills can be introduced by both houses as well as the executive branch, although bills introduced by the executive take precedence. Members of the Parliament are not permitted to introduce either spending bills or tax bills.

-United Nations Development Programe: Governing Systems and Executive-Legislative Relations

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
A local leader...able to deal with the different fractions.

An administrator much like preval..(with a little more stage presence...lol) .and not a speechmaker and noise maker.

As you can see haiti started making slow but real progress under his governance...and then the earthquake.

In the long run, I would like to see haiti get rid of the presidency and adopt a truly parliamentary system....where parties would present their platforms to the public.

People would then vote platform/ideas/plans and not an individual.

We need to move from this president as savior mentality.

I agree with what you say.
"We need to move from this president as savior mentality."
Very well put.

And it breaks my heart that what has been achieved since 2006 is being undone in front of our very eyes.
For example, last year I was doing a project in the streets so had to to do the work at night so as not to disturb the traffic.(Thank you very much for making my life complicated MTPTC!!) We did not use security at all. We just did not need it.
All these gains are being lost.
Now I do not even stay out too late as a precaution - it is really cramping my style!

The parliamentary idea where you vote for a party and the party nominates the leader - like in the UK - sounds good to me but how do we achieve that with 42 parties currently registered with the CEP?
As I have said before there is no ideology in Haitian politics. It is all about short term pacts of convenience and personal aspirations - how else would a group like Tete Kole exist??
Apparently Tete Kole consists of many groups that were formerly absolutely committed to each others destruction. This group involves people who were previously involved in the ouster of Aristide and people who are trying to have him brought back. They have come together to demand that Preval should go. How can that ever work? What happens when they get what they want? That group will fly apart. No good will come of this.

And again, of course you are correct that what Haiti is crying out for is a real government - not some ex-rapper.
The reason I proposed that it might be a good idea is that I see no decent alternative - but you seem to be optimistic that it could happen. Well OK, I will cautiously share your optimism - why? Because you said that it is not only Haiti that has had kleptocratic government in the past. Other countries have pulled away from this and done well. Why should Haiti be any different.
One of my pets hates is that people treat Haiti as a special case. Yes, it is particularly messed up in many ways but stepping back and thinking logically it does deserve the same respect that I would give to other nations.

I hope you are right... we shall see very soon.

Oh and by the way - nice chatting with you......
I have been criticised about flip-flopping and changing my mind about stuff on this forum - not being consistent - but if one cannot change one's mind in the face of a point well made then we are all buggered - that is true of Haiti as well.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
you guys know more about haiti than i do, but i know two things:

1. i don't agree with "business as usual" and yet another crappy leader in haiti. there's been 200 years of that already. *every* leader is badly thought of at the end of their term in haiti.

2. a guy who came from the projects in NY and reached the highest levels of music culture in the US and is totally self made is impressive. he's the kind of guy who should be inspiring ordinary haitians to better themselves.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
you guys know more about haiti than i do, but i know two things:

1. i don't agree with "business as usual" and yet another crappy leader in haiti. there's been 200 years of that already. *every* leader is badly thought of at the end of their term in haiti.

That is a valid point of view - but remembering the Prime Ministers from my own country -
  • Heath - booed out of town when he left. He was the weakest link - Goodbye!

• Wilson - less said the better - Callaghan replaced him for god's sake!!

• Callaghan - we never had it so bad - next!

• Thatcher - absolutely hated when she got kicked out by her own party.

• John Major - disliked by the electorate enough to lose the election.

• Tony Blair - had to go in the end - Iraq was a mistake and his dishonesty and smugness cost him dear. People hate him now.

• Brown - well he was so despised that people effectively voted the Tories back in - go figure...

So it seems to be the fate of a leader that they are unpopular when they lose power. Otherwise they would not lose power unless they respect their constitution.

At least Preval is going without a civil war, coup d'etat or US invasion (kind of!) even if the situation he leaves is tenuous to say the least.

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti ? Singer Wyclef Jean is about to announce his candidacy for president of earthquake-ravaged Haiti, the former head of the country's Chamber of Deputies said Tuesday.

Former Deputy Pierre Eric Jean-Jacques told The Associated Press that the hip hop artist will run as part of his coalition in the Nov. 28 election.

Jean spokeswoman Cindy Tanenbaum declined to confirm the report. She said the singer planned to make an announcement Thursday night in Haiti but declined to say what it would be.

Jean-Jacques, who will be seeking to return to the Chamber of Deputies in the election, said he will be a candidate for a new coalition that calls itself Ansanm Nou Fo, which translates as "together we are strong" in Creole.