Yet another chef knife casualty..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Americans and their knives......it's about the last thing on my list to care about: a kitchen knife. If it would be the maid losing the rubber feet of my sonos speaker about weekly or cleaning the tv screen 'con un pañito mojado', but a knife? We have Ikea knives, the worst ever.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
There is a old Haitian guy that walks the beach in Cabarete selling coconuts for 40 pesos. He hacks off the top with an old piece of table silverware, knife and pokes a hole in the top and finally puts a straw in it. He must make a living out of it because he has been doing it for 10 years. You line up 25 men and I bet not one could do what he does and he does it in about 30 seconds.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You bring it upon yourselves

Why bring a Chief Knives if you know very well they will eventually be used to open a rotten can ?

Masochism may be ? :cheeky:

Now, if you want to donate them to someone who will take good care of them in the western world, and doesn't even know how to use a knife to open a can, I will be in DR in April. Gracias

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I bought several commercial chefs knives for my mother in law after she destroyed the other set I got her. A year later she only uses the six inch knife it get's dull every now and then but not destroyed. The others are still in packaging for future use. As far as steak knives better off buying the 40 peso one from sirena they get used for everything.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
AE, the coconut is made up of what we caribbean people call the husk, then the shell, then the meat and the water. you use the machete to get rid of the husk, the green stuff on the outside. on the indide is the hard shell, which is cracked open with a hammer or some such blunt instrument, in order to get the meat out.

so, you see vendors removing the husk, in order to make a hole for the water to pour out. you don't usually see them cracking coconuts.

I disagree with you Gorgon. Maybe they do it your way on other islands but here we use a machete, not a Large one but a , let's say a 15 inch blade. 

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Americans and their knives......it's about the last thing on my list to care about: a kitchen knife. If it would be the maid losing the rubber feet of my sonos speaker about weekly or cleaning the tv screen 'con un pañito mojado', but a knife? We have Ikea knives, the worst ever.

Don't think it's an american thing Mauricio. Remember the best cooking knives are still from Europe (Solingen, France, Sheffield) and of course Japan. It's a matter of being interested in cooking.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I disagree with you Gorgon. Maybe they do it your way on other islands but here we use a machete, not a Large one but a , let's say a 15 inch blade. 

well, the reason why we are discussing this could be a matter of linguistics. when i think of cracking open coconuts, i think of dry coconuts, with no husk, which people crack open to extract the meat, which is then grated to make coconut milk, oil, and candy. i do not think of cutting a hole in a coconut for drinking purposes as cracking open a coconut.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I agree.

Real Men open a coconut with a 12ga....;)

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
well, the reason why we are discussing this could be a matter of linguistics. when i think of cracking open coconuts, i think of dry coconuts, with no husk, which people crack open to extract the meat, which is then grated to make coconut milk, oil, and candy. i do not think of cutting a hole in a coconut for drinking purposes as cracking open a coconut.

Ok now I understand, sorry. Yes as when making coco milk. I was talking about the green fresh ones. Mea culpa.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ok now I understand, sorry. Yes as when making coco milk. I was talking about the green fresh ones. Mea culpa.

as i said, it was simply a misunderstanding...no biggie.

as an aside, my friend's wife can take the dry coconut, tap it with a hammer in a few spots, and the thing comes apart in two halves!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
G, that's the way I was taught to open coconuts using a machete. They don't use machetes for that in Jamaica?

in Jamaica, if you go to a coconut vendor, and you want to drink some coconut water, the coconut guy uses a machete to hack it open, by chopping off a small section at the top, to let the water out.

if, on the other hand, you go to the market, and you buy the dry coconut, which has no husk, is dark brown, and looks like a mouse, you don't use a machete to crack it open. people hit it with whatever they can get their hands on, preferably a hammer.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Its very nice to know we have so many Coconut Experts on this Forum..

we learn so much here ..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dangerous please to be born...

you would never catch me walking under a coconut tree. first, you don't want to get hit by a falling nut. secondly, in Jamaica it was common practice for a scorpion to fall out of the tree, onto your head. not good. at least there are no scorpions to speak of in the DR.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
in Jamaica, if you go to a coconut vendor, and you want to drink some coconut water, the coconut guy uses a machete to hack it open, by chopping off a small section at the top, to let the water out.

if, on the other hand, you go to the market, and you buy the dry coconut, which has no husk, is dark brown, and looks like a mouse, you don't use a machete to crack it open. people hit it with whatever they can get their hands on, preferably a hammer.

This guy uses a huge knife the way we do it with a machete on the Caribbean coast of Panama. Well actually mostly th'e women do it because they are the ones who prepare arroz con coco, delicious!!!!!
My "mom use to do it by cleaning the coconut while holding it in the hand, rarely she broke the skin and lost the milk.
Here she's rasping the coconut for making the rice

[video=youtube;azJmMod6Gqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJmMod6Gqo[/video]

Last edited: