You can drink the water now

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Jaime, if you check you will probably find out that the chemical being added to the water is Chloramine.

Chlorine is a gas and is not readily soluble in water. This is not intended to be a chemistry lesson but chlorine disproportionates in water, oxidizing and reducing which releases ions that can combine with water molecules to make hydrochloric acid. Chlorine in the presence of water (with its 2 oxygen atoms) greatly increases the oxidization reactivity of chlorine with other ionic compounds. One useful benefit of this chemical reaction is the killing of bacteria in a swimming pool. It is not advisable to mix chlorine gas with water to wipe down your counters. Bleach is easier to use and generally won't kill you while you work with it.

Even though we may call the stuff chlorine bleach, it doesn't contain any chlorine. If you were to mix bleach and an acid or an alkaline base together, the resulting chemical reaction produces heat and you may well produce chlorine gas depending on the ph of the acid/base. In any case, the results are not good so don't do it.

Just remember, bleach is not chlorine and doesn't contain any free chlorine molecules under normal conditions. The use of chlorine for water treatment is all but over. Chloramine is a much safer alternative and doesn't have the inherent risks associated with its use and transport.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The US military has added "bleach" (in the form of calcium hypochlorite) to drinking water while on deployments for decades. The Division Surgeon sets the "chlorine residual" level (expressed as ppm for "parts per million") based on the waters source, climate, endemic diseases, and other local factors.  Unit FST (field sanitation teams) then test the water for ppm and add more "bleach" if necessary.  This is done with everything from "water buffaloes" (300 gallon water trailers) to 3000 gallon blivets. 

The water does tend to have a slight chlorine taste, but that is easily masked by adding some of the various drink powders that come in the rations (MRE's or if your old enough, C rations). 

But as previously stated, nowadays, I prefer my water to be "brewed". 

So what are you telling me because the US Miltary and citys adds bleached its ok...... good luck ... in believing that ... Us government has been poisoning it people for decades .... Monsanto is a company thats has tons of ex government officals working for it all their products has tons of GMO .... half the food they sell in the states is banned in other countries wake up my friend.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Goodwrench,

Read your link again. Chlorine is a raw ingredient in the manufacture of bleach but is not present in the final product in the form of "free Chlorine."

Chlorine is a gas, common sense dictates that gases in liquids don't combine unless under pressure. Like CO2 in a bottle of Coke, that fizzes when you remove the cap. Look at the ingredients listed on any bottle of bleach. Chlorine is not listed as an ingredient present in the final product. Products derived from Chlorine, actually contain a stabilized molecule that has been chemically altered into an "ite" or an "ide" as in sodium hypochlorite. The "ites" and "ides" are not chlorine, they are a completely different molecule (real Chlorine is an element). These molecules are oxidizers and when combined with a substance that readily sheds oxygen atoms such as water does, they undergo a further chemical reaction that releases chlorine ions into the mixture. Ions, not molecules. When you add bleach to water or stabilized chlorine byproducts to pools, you do not see greenish/yellow chlorine gas bubbling to the surface and wafting away in the breeze. It is these chlorine ions and the oxidation process itself that gives bleach and other chlorine byproducts their sanitizing ability.

Why does all this matter? Accuracy. We tend to over simplify many things these days. As consumers, we often do not read labels or follow instructions. It is easy to read a website that has taken a shortcut to incorrectly state reality, which we then pass on to others in conversations and when making product recommendations.

Bleach is a good example. In day to day conversation is it ultra important to distinguish bleach from chlorine? Probably not, but if you say bleach contains chlorine, while it may not really matter, that statement is wrong nonetheless. If we are going to suggest that it is ok to drink small amounts of bleach added to water over a protracted period of time it is important to understand exactly what bleach is. As with most chemicals, a little may do wonders but too much or for too long may not be healthy. The discussion of bleach in water in the short term seems to be acceptable when other better methods of sanitizing water are not possible. Boiling water comes before adding bleach on every suggested list of ways to make water safe to consume. I am still trying to find any authoritative source that claims bleach in water for extended periods of time is considered safe.

Have a look at the MSDS for Chlorine.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Jaime, if you check you will probably find out that the chemical being added to the water is Chloramine.

Chlorine is a gas and is not readily soluble in water. This is not intended to be a chemistry lesson but chlorine disproportionates in water, oxidizing and reducing which releases ions that can combine with water molecules to make hydrochloric acid. Chlorine in the presence of water (with its 2 oxygen atoms) greatly increases the oxidization reactivity of chlorine with other ionic compounds. One useful benefit of this chemical reaction is the killing of bacteria in a swimming pool. It is not advisable to mix chlorine gas with water to wipe down your counters. Bleach is easier to use and generally won't kill you while you work with it.

Even though we may call the stuff chlorine bleach, it doesn't contain any chlorine. If you were to mix bleach and an acid or an alkaline base together, the resulting chemical reaction produces heat and you may well produce chlorine gas depending on the ph of the acid/base. In any case, the results are not good so don't do it.

Just remember, bleach is not chlorine and doesn't contain any free chlorine molecules under normal conditions. The use of chlorine for water treatment is all but over. Chloramine is a much safer alternative and doesn't have the inherent risks associated with its use and transport.

Ok.. chlorimines are a byproduct from chlorination of water supplies when coupled with amonia is used which acts as a stabilizer that increases the half life of sodium or calcium hypochlorite. The amount of byproduct is found by deducting the amount of free chlorine from total chlorine found in a water sample.

As far as chlorinating water goes, normal practices are to have 0.5-1.0 ppm free chlorine at the furthest point of a water distribution loop. It's not much and is much better to have a little bleach in the water than having the critters that it kills in your domestic water system. Chlorine is easily removed by a simple activated carbon filter. Chloramine can be removed by carbon as well but requires significantly longer contact times with coconut she'll carbon that has been acid washed prior to it's construction into a filter. Anyone worrying about chloramine shouldn't unless you're a dialysis patient as Chloramine can cause very I'll effects.

Goodwrench708

Nov 1, 2015
Typical forum hog wash....  some people want to post a bunch of yak yak.  Knowing that no one will want to read it anyway. 
Myself and many I know have been using bleach to treat water for many years....
Look...I'm still alive.....still healthy....:)

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Where do you come up with this stuff? Also why are you posting stuff you really don't know anything about? Look. Bleach IS a light chlorine containing 5.25% sodium hypochlorite. Then talking about adding other chemicals to bleach? Are you insane? Doesn't matter a gallon of household bleach or a drum with 12.5% sodium hypochlorite the results will be the same. Go ahead and give it a try. Then take a big whiff of the cl2 gas you will make and burn your lungs. If you're going to tell people how domestic water is sanitized and the chemical makeup, then you should learn about it first. BTW, there are several ways used for sanitizing water, but most like ozone, or uv are not a viable means to do so on a large scale. Ozone only lives for 17 minutes and UV has so many variables including hardness, iron, and turbidity, that it is unreliable. Chlorine is currently the best, and safest means of sanitizing water on a large scale.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Bleach IS a light chlorine containing 5.25% sodium hypochlorite.

I give up. If you can't read and comprehend what was written, I can't help you. Sodium Hypchorite is not chlorine. If you want to believe it is, I'll have just have to accept that. If you took away from my post that I was suggesting people mix bleach with other chemicals even after I specifically said, "don't do it", again I can't help you.

I hope some have learned something. I hope that some won't blindly accept that bleach to purify water is recognized as a long term solution supported by science or the recommendation of any health agency. To date bleach is meant as a short term solution until better alternatives are available.

If you want to add bleach to your water, I don't really care. Jump up and down all you want proclaiming your health. It's your body and you can do what you want to it. When the personal attacks start, it's time to move on to something else.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Slightly related.  In the US, tooth decay in children has skyrocketed due to parents using bottled water rather than flouridated tap water.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Part of the reason in drinking and using bottled water here besides safety is taste.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....If you use the tap water here you could end up like me fren did last month....salmonella typi or typhoid fever, even if you just brush your teeth in it...she is Dominican and is still recovering......Doc.......

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I want to install a boiling water tap in my apartment, so I am interested in finding out if the tap water really is drinkable. I've ordered some water testing kits from the US so will be testing water in the near future to see if it really is drinkable. I did get a message from the building manager (I live in a tower in Santo Domingo) saying they were changing some pipes to make sure the water from the tap was drinkable, so I did wonder if it was. I will report back.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I want to install a boiling water tap in my apartment, so I am interested in finding out if the tap water really is drinkable. I've ordered some water testing kits from the US so will be testing water in the near future to see if it really is drinkable. I did get a message from the building manager (I live in a tower in Santo Domingo) saying they were changing some pipes to make sure the water from the tap was drinkable, so I did wonder if it was. I will report back.

If you live in a tower in SD, do you have a well? (Pozo). I wouldn't think of drinking or cooking water from a pozo especially since waste water goes often to the ground as well albeit on another depth.  

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I give up. If you can't read and comprehend what was written, I can't help you. Sodium Hypchorite is not chlorine. If you want to believe it is, I'll have just have to accept that. If you took away from my post that I was suggesting people mix bleach with other chemicals even after I specifically said, "don't do it", again I can't help you.

I hope some have learned something. I hope that some won't blindly accept that bleach to purify water is recognized as a long term solution supported by science or the recommendation of any health agency. To date bleach is meant as a short term solution until better alternatives are available.

If you want to add bleach to your water, I don't really care. Jump up and down all you want proclaiming your health. It's your body and you can do what you want to it. When the personal attacks start, it's time to move on to something else.

Good thing for you to do. Please give up on talking about water treatment and leave it to trained professionals.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Slightly related.  In the US, tooth decay in children has skyrocketed due to parents using bottled water rather than flouridated tap water.

Another misconception. Sodium floride is not a good additive for water and does nothing for children's teeth. They should try better brushing hygiene as directed by dental professionals.

Pancake

Nov 17, 2015
I've given-up on the water here...I've taken to brushing my teeth with Presidente Light, satisfying and not the least unpleasant and no after taste, especially when you continue drinking it the rest of the afternoon! No health risk either, unless you take into account liver damage and ultimate liver failure...sh*t happens!

Brush, brush, brush. That's all I ever do!