Things are NOT all that good as "some" say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hmmm Chip the same investors who are building all those beautiful condos, malls. etc??? Talk to me about today, tommorow and the future. Not yesteryear. What is going to make it better tomorrow. And Chip you of all people should know this. You are studying to make construction a more honest, decent, profession, are you not? Oh and I am done, either you get it or you don't.

I don't get what? That promoting what is good about the DR attracts investors? I suppose you have a better plan?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
RAMBLING you aint seen nothing yet. Go ask a horse in the DR where would it rather be in DR, Texas or, Puerto Rico, then when that horse give you the answer you will NOW understand how MESS UP the DR really is.

BTW The horse I thought was one of the prettiest animals on the planet, until I saw would you guys call a horse.

Um... Did the horse talk to you? :rolleyes: Was it purple and sparkly?:confused:

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
And that is no small task in a country that is considered one of the most corrupt in the world by Transparency International. The people have endured corrupt and complicit government officials from the political parties for decades now.

Now, now, playacaribe2 can you be a little bit less bias? DR, one of the most corrupt?
DR is listed at 129 out of 183 countries indexed in 2011. DR happens to share spot 129 with 4 other countries and there are 50 counties indexed lower than DR. How does having 50 countries out of 183 more corrupt than DR and 4 countries with equal index to the DR make the DR one of the most corrupt country in the world?

Source: Corruption index 2011 from Transparency International: find out how countries compare | News | guardian.co.uk

NotLurking

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ok one more time..Chip you have beautiful daughters and as well I have children. Will we live in one of those ultra highrise condos,NO, will we buy our clothes, etc, in the new malls, NO ( sure you and I can but we wont right?). What do we want??? Good education, healthcare, affordable food costs, fuel, etc.. We want OUR children to have a future. Progress can benefit of course but you have to look at the source to see the benefit. I am entitled to my opinion as you are. Do I have all the answers, NO but am I going sit back and say the DR is moving toward progress that will benefit all, NO. .Progress should be for the people not the few selected wealthy ones. Now you have your opinion and I have mine and really the thread is played out.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ok one more time..Chip you have beautiful daughters and as well I have children. Will we live in one of those ultra highrise condos,NO, will we buy our clothes, etc, in the new malls, NO ( sure you and I can but we wont right?). What do we want??? Good education, healthcare, affordable food costs, fuel, etc.. We want OUR children to have a future. Progress can benefit of course but you have to look at the source to see the benefit. I am entitled to my opinion as you are. Do I have all the answers, NO but am I going sit back and say the DR is moving toward progress that will benefit all, NO. .Progress should be for the people not the few selected wealthy ones. Now you have your opinion and I have mine and really the thread is played out.

It's not the government building the malls and highrises.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
RAMBLING you aint seen nothing yet. Go ask a horse in the DR where would it rather be in DR, Texas or, Puerto Rico, then when that horse give you the answer you will NOW understand how MESS UP the DR really is.

BTW The horse I thought was one of the prettiest animals on the planet, until I saw would you guys call a horse.

You need to see the Paso finos in Jarabacoa. They are very pretty horses.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Very cold !!!

Very cold indeed! And I wonder if that's an "objectivist" take on things, you know, from the Ayn Rand school of "How to Be Selfish."

No one gets "there" by their lonesome. Some benefit from "accidents of birth," while others are born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Even the great Jackie Robinson needed help, but he gets credit for "breaking the color barrier in MLB." Gates, Jobs, Clive Sinclair, Obama, Lincoln, Reagan, Marichal, Phelps, Jordan, Larry Bird, Ichiro, Can?, Jeff Koons, Letterman, The Who, The Fab Four, the Bard, Crocodile Dundee, Lula, Evita, Tom, Dick, Harry... they all needed some help. There ain't no self-made success stories. No siree. Even if you print your own legal tender, still have to invent ink and paper and stuff. NO. ONE. PERIOD.

"Oh, but those poor Dominicans could've done what I did: I went to Concordia." Oh, yeah, some are also born with a silver foot in their mouth.

Dislike away, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. NO. ONE. PERIOD.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010

I am sure they are beautiful

yet ,just another example of a few fortunate versus a lot of unfortunate
and those I did see!
almost like mall pictures versus shacks
Manu

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I am sure they are beautiful

yet ,just another example of a few fortunate versus a lot of unfortunate
and those I did see!
almost like mall pictures versus shacks
Manu

What do you do to help the poor?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very cold indeed! And I wonder if that's an "objectivist" take on things, you know, from the Ayn Rand school of "How to Be Selfish."

No one gets "there" by their lonesome. Some benefit from "accidents of birth," while others are born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Even the great Jackie Robinson needed help, but he gets credit for "breaking the color barrier in MLB." Gates, Jobs, Clive Sinclair, Obama, Lincoln, Reagan, Marichal, Phelps, Jordan, Larry Bird, Ichiro, Can?, Jeff Koons, Letterman, The Who, The Fab Four, the Bard, Crocodile Dundee, Lula, Evita, Tom, Dick, Harry... they all needed some help. There ain't no self-made success stories. No siree. Even if you print your own legal tender, still have to invent ink and paper and stuff. NO. ONE. PERIOD.

"Oh, but those poor Dominicans could've done what I did: I went to Concordia." Oh, yeah, some are also born with a silver foot in their mouth.

I give " a hand up" to a number of people. Talk is cheap- what do you do?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RWsx1X8PV_A?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Talk is cheap. Action is what counts. I give a " hand up" to a number of people. What do you do to help?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RWsx1X8PV_A?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Talk is cheap. Us greedy objectivists would rather give people " a hand up". What do you do to help Satan?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I had time to sleep on it BOB and your right I see lots of poor people here that are poor by choice the choice being as they would rather spend thier $$$ on clothes cologne booze and womem than instead of food on the table I do not feel sorry for these people! I have seen many a person here looking nice in new clothes fresh hair cut every few days smelling good nice vehicle then when you go to thier house its crap the apperance of having money us actually more important than having money. Not my neighbours they are just poor man they work hard I dont see them out partying or anything like millions of others in this country they where born poor and will die poor.
Chip next time you make it to the North Coast I will take you to the dump that I was talking about for me it just was a reality check I had gotten used top some poverty here but seeing that was just as you say heart breaking.
By the way edenorte still hasnt come fix the damn tranformer !!LOL
(In my best Yoda voice) Advancing the DR is malls you say hmmm electricity important is it advanced it has not! LOL
As for bashing Domincans by expats yes I detest it I cannot tell you how many times in Sosua or Cabarete I have been out and heard an expat say something negative to me in english ( they think I am Domincan) and I quickly ask them to repeat what they said and the look of shock as I speak perfect english back to them! They then either ask did I live in the USA and how is my english so good and I say its my first language and that they should be careful how they talk around peopl. Or the last bunch of European expats that gave me and my Girlfriend a hard time in the gated community that we lived in because they thought I was Domincan and done everything they could to make us uncomfortable and leave wich we eventually did,Or how many times I would be hanging out with my expat buddies and some drunk expat that didnt know me would ask them who is that Domincan your hanging out with! So yea I know the feeling of being bashed by expats not all of then just some!

But still the question goes un answered!
Why does the Pichmiester live in Florida and not the super advancing everything is perfect DR?

Jan 9, 2004
Now, now, playacaribe2 can you be a little bit less bias? DR, one of the most corrupt?
DR is listed at 129 out of 183 countries indexed in 2011. DR happens to share spot 129 with 4 other countries and there are 50 counties indexed lower than DR. How does having 50 countries out of 183 more corrupt than DR and 4 countries with equal index to the DR make the DR one of the most corrupt country in the world?

Source: Corruption index 2011 from Transparency International: find out how countries compare | News | guardian.co.uk

NotLurking

NotLurking:

It's a matter of determining ones level of "most corrupt" in the index.

I submit that being ranked as more corrupt than approximately 70% of the other countries compared, qualifies the DR as one of the "most corrupt" and that is what I said...."one of the most corrupt." That is not a position of bias, as much as it is one of interpretation and fact based on those rankings.

Now Pichardo might spin it as...there are way more countries corrupt than the DR....and he would be correct...if you only wanted to look below your rank.

If you scored approximately 30 on an exam of 100 points, I doubt that would constitute a passing or acceptable grade.

Taking the rankings in total, I fail to see how anyone, except spin doctors, could come up with a different conclusion....but I would certainly be open to suggestions.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
bob saunders;1115767 Talk is cheap. Us greedy objectivists would rather give people " a hand up". What do you do to help Satan?[/QUOTE said:
"Talk is cheap?" What are you talking about?

The fact is that the very vast majority of us are underachievers... yes, even your fictional John Gault. And no amount of "look what I have achieved" chest-thumping braggadocio can change that. But I'll make an exception for those of you who cagan bizcochitos y mean Pepsi Cola.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
First To ANSWER Chipper's ???s In His Post,#282 this thread,then on to "PEE"

Chip asks,"Why are posts about the, "Positive Attributes" of the DR closed,while posts critical of the DR remain open for a long time?"
That's and easy answer,the Positive,agenda driven posts,are just "Soapboxes" for you,"P","Nals" and a very few others!,AND they are not closed,but due to your never ending,boring,diatribes,THEY JUST DIE!!!!!!!!:dead::dead::dead:
Post about the many huge problems of the DR,Dominicans,and how we can recognize ,and try to deal with,"The Above", live very long active lives,most are never closed.
Those that are "closed" are because you get into personal attacks on other posters.
I have very seldom seen DR1 expat posters post great stuff about their "Mother Countries"
Because,They,UNLIKE YOU,and the "Other 2", realize that this, "was,still is,and will ever be "DR1", and not,
"Lets compare the DR's problems with "EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD'S PROBLEMS,so they won't be so bad,at least if we can get them thinking about,"Everywhere but HERE!"
YOU, have never seen "Anything,or Anyone" "Dominicano" that wasn't perfect,according to you,that is.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Now an "EXPOSE" about how "PEE" views the DR.
See his "Pretty Picture" of Santo Domingo",you know where he says there is "Room To Grow"?????
That huge green area,well,that's "Mirador Sur",a huge public park,open also to poor Dominicans.
One of the few "GREEN" areas of Santo Domingo not sold to "Land Grabbing Developers" by the DR government!
"PEE" knows this,but in his mind,"Hey,why not build more high rises there too?"
It's just available space,where I can make even MORE "DINERO"!!!
THAT shows how wealthy dDominicans think about their Country,AND their "Less fortunate",(read un-connected,by huge wealth,OR,"Politically"
countrymen!
"Right "P"??????? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's and easy answer,the Positive,agenda driven posts,are just "Soapboxes" for you,"P","Nals" and a very few others!,AND they are not closed,but due to your never ending,boring,diatribes,THEY JUST DIE!!!!!!!!:dead::dead::dead:

Not true. By far most have been closed.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Taino808 got news..I am a legal citizen ok..no over staying my visa here. Been here way too long. So living on borrowed time, don't think so. Telling like it is by your accounts is whining? There is a BIG difference in telling like it is and whining. I put my "big girl panties" on a long time ago (don't anyone go there) but one thing I will not do is make something into gold that it is not.

If the shoe doesn't fit, then don't wear it and move on. Glad to hear that you've put on your "big girl panties a long time ago", If my comment "living on borrowed time" doesn't pertain to you then I commend you on this, nevertheless I'm sure you are aware that more than 75% of all expat on the island are here on a over stayed visa.

My comment was directed at them, sorry for including you among this group But you do know that this is the same group of whiny people that come here, expect to find a developed nation and have the same benefits as back home, but from the very first day they arrive they start breaking the same laws that would get any Dominican thrown out of any gilded country up north.

Also it is not my wish to have you compromise your sentiments by asking you to change your point of view. However, as you very well may already know, change only comes by way of educated voting. It is this that we are lacking in this country, not whining people from abroad. So please, you and any other expat already calling the DR home, help us by voting out these corrupt government officials. Of course you know, the right to vote only come with the legal standing of being in the country legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.