From DR to Cuba?

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Cuba must be a wonderful place to visit.
Must be great to see what once was a bustling stunning city now decayed.
Great beaches Cuban's can't visit.
Shame the Cubans can't get on the plane on the way back.
Yet, I guess we can so what the hell- right?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Yes fernandez..those people that go there could care less about the cubans..and the fact that no cuban has access to an internet (except a few)or even that is illegal to watch direct t.v.
And lived under 54 years of killing and brutality of their citizens... and they support all of that.

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012

It is more than a shame, or were you just being glib? And were you actually recommending that we not go, or were you just being smug? As to engagement vs. further isolation, I choose the former. Sitting at home, intimating concern, waiting for the embargo to end or the regime to yield, will surely effect no change at all.

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Yes fernandez..those people that go there could care less about the cubans..and the fact that no cuban has access to an internet (except a few)or even that is illegal to watch direct t.v.
And lived under 54 years of killing and brutality of their citizens... and they support all of that.

I do hope, porkman, that by 'those people' you were not alluding to me, as that would be not only presuming of you (as we have neither met nor spoken) but also dead wrong.

Feb 15, 2005
Hello Mods, may I ask you not to close this thread, as some would have a political agenda and will side track it. This thread is for those posters who do not not have an agenda and are solely interested in exploring and obtaining information.

Thank you.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hello Mods, may I ask you not to close this thread, as some would have a political agenda and will side track it. This thread is for those posters who do not not have an agenda and are solely interested in exploring and obtaining information.

Thank you.

Yes isn't it a shame that people can't answer a simple question on DR1 without babbling on about their own agendas. I feel your pain. :)

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I do hope, porkman, that by 'those people' you were not alluding to me, as that would be not only presuming of you (as we have neither met nor spoken) but also dead wrong.

Left..i always try to stay away...(from politics)..but as a cubano i was actually alluding to people like you...totally insensitive to the suffering and enslavement of other human beings...you are not the slave right ? but..you... with your patronage of those criminals.... support just that.
(sorry anna)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Left..i always try to stay away...(from politics)..but as a cubano i was actually alluding to people like you...totally insensitive to the suffering and enslavement of other human beings...you are not the slave right ? but..you... with your patronage of those criminals.... support just that.
(sorry anna)

Disagree, Visiting Cuba was an eye opener (and I consider myself a leftist :) ). You should let people form their own opinions, many dictatorship lasted decades without tourism, don't see how it is connected.
Sorry Anna :)

Lonely planet forum (thornthree) branch on Cuba has the most complete info. No politics. And posters from all over the world.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A flight from Santo Domingo to Havana for a week including hotel, taxes, no meals return is around $683.00 Cad.

I checked for Dec 11 -18. It's with Cubana, 1 person of course

Selloffvacations.com

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I went about 10 years ago from here in SD.
I went because I like to see things for myself, not always believing what other say.
Too Many "AGENDAS" out there!
I had no political point-of-view to advance, just curiosity.
I didn't see much, but what I saw of the geography was beautiful, and not unlike the DR.
The Cuban people could not have been more kind, and helpful as well.
Everything in "La Habana" needed a fresh coat of paint.
The "Malecon" was a waste of time. They have a 6 foot high, and wide wall, to stop the "Yanqis" from invading.
Political posters, stories high", and slogans EVERYWHERE!
Those "Cubanos" know how to roast a pig!
AND, roll "Cubanos", CIGARS!
In down town Habana, the prostitutes were everywhere, looked just like Dominican prostitutes,charged $10 US, and yelled "Cuba Libre" several times in the bed!
I would not go back.
It's more fun here!
MUCH more fun!
For some unknown reason, I feel that when "Fido" dies, the sooner the better!, Raul will begin working for better relations with the USA.
If the "Commies" really wanted a better life for the Cuban People,they would open full relations with the USA!
That would men the end of the DR as a "Destination" for "Gringos:, most of who have heard a lot about Cuba, but know "Nada" about the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If the "Commies" really wanted a better life for the Cuban People,they would open full relations with the USA!
That would men the end of the DR as a "Destination" for "Gringos:, most of who have heard a lot about Cuba, but know "Nada" about the DR!

True. But it's the USA who put restriction on travels to and commerce with Cuba, not the other way around....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
True. But it's the USA who put restriction on travels to and commerce with Cuba, not the other way around....

It's the Cuban government that limit's it's citizens travel. How many Cubans have passports and are free to leave whenever they want to? It takes two to dance. No compromise by the Cuban government (like free elections), no compromise by the USA.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's the Cuban government that limit's it's citizens travel. How many Cubans have passports and are free to leave whenever they want to? It takes two to dance. No compromise by the Cuban government (like free elections), no compromise by the USA.

Didn't you know? The travel ban was lifted about 6 months ago. Cubans are free to travel now. If they can afford it is another matter.

Los cubanos ya pueden viajar "sin permiso" al extranjero