what are somethings you gave up

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But why not replace canned fruit with fresh papaya and melons, When I go bakc to Maine for the summer I really miss real fruit.

You reminded of me other food items left behind. Great tasting strawberries, amazing tasting sweet corn and just the variety of fruits and vegetables way above and beyond what is available in the DR. Keep in mind the last place I lived was in California, not the northeast of the USA.

The mangoes and bananas are here are good. Not a great fan of papaya, but I do eat it. Never had a good cantaloup here and the watermelons are very hit and miss being picked too early. No such thing as a good orange here for eating compared to California or Florida.

usa2dr

Apr 14, 2013
Never found really good pizza here. Where do you think it is good? I am on the north coast.

to be honest i dont remember the place by name it was in santiago, we just happen to see the place and got a whole pie after trying a slice. it was really good chess pizza with corn on top.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Never found really good pizza here. Where do you think it is good? I am on the north coast.

care to taste mine? i am sure i cannot compete with a proper new york pizza but i made a damn great job trying! :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I worked for a Canadian company for a few years, does that rate higher?

Don't be a D---, Gorgon is bad enough. The point is some of you(Americans) figure every post refers to America and Americans and it doesn't. Some of you seem to think only Americans are qualified to comment on things American when many of us non-Americans have spent considerable time in the states, have family there....etc. I've had absolutely delicious strawberries and oranges in the DR.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We all miss something from "home" just like when we go "home" we all miss things from here. How much you miss something depends on "where your heart calls home". I miss a few things from the US but nothing I can't live without, but I do know when I travel after a few days I find myself saying "I can not wait to get home", home which is here with all the traffic, blackouts, cold showers, noise, etc...

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Dominican sweet potatoes( batata)

having said that - try the sweet potato fries at Fresh Fresh, in Sosua. Made from batata, but very much like the sweet potato fries you get in North America. Very good.

Another random thought - you can always tell a Canadian, when they talk about the "hydro" being out, or checking the "hydro" meter. And yes - we get that, in Canada : it's probably NUKE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have NOT read any of this. Wife and I gave up.... we don't go into Sosua at all other then mail and Playero. We have STOPPED going out 3 or 4 times a week to dine and meeting up with friends. Our friends DON'T go into town anymore either.

So we have adjusted to NOT going out, SPENDING LOTS of money. That's about 30K a week.

Ya know something? We cook at home, have some friends over, enjoy our home and view so we adjusted to enjoy and SAVED big bucks

We do the same , usually.

The food is better at home, the wine is cheaper..... just need the right company to enjoy it all.

The slow internet is my biggest beef.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think many vegetables and fruits are picked too early, especially tomatoes...

absolutely spot on. i hate when i order a vegetable salad and get those green tomatoes. speaking of tomatoes, i have no idea why someone does not try to grow a different variety than the same tomato you get everywhere. beefsteak, perhaps? can those grow here?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't be a D---, Gorgon is bad enough. The point is some of you(Americans) figure every post refers to America and Americans and it doesn't. Some of you seem to think only Americans are qualified to comment on things American when many of us non-Americans have spent considerable time in the states, have family there....etc. I've had absolutely delicious strawberries and oranges in the DR.

you might know where the Statue of Liberty is, but that does not qualify you to speak on American society. i lived in New York, and the only things i know about Hasidim is how they dress.

Domphil

Dec 16, 2011
Since I dine out nearly every meal. I miss airconditioned restaurants, especially in the summer months. However living here is much less stressful So I happily trade restaurants with no A/C for a more relaxed and laid back environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.