I live in SD... as a lone American

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
color a non issue?

not if she wants to get into a disco in Naco.

There are literally thousands of disco alternatives in SD - most better than the Naco variety.

If her main social problem is getting into a Naco disco, then her problems are relatively minor.....

I think she 's not understanding that she has to do her part to "fit in" - even a little bit - its not her counrty or ssociety and she could be a little flexible.

-learn the language
-lose the tatts/peircings/ wierd-different hair
-lose the anti-social clothing: tears, rips, stains, - anything "hip/hipster" - Goth - Metal.

-or anything visibly or outrageously - LGBT/trans/......

DR is in many way a traditional society and the level of demoralization that has affected the US etc - has not affected them yet (...thank God !)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are literally thousands of disco alternatives in SD - most better than the Naco variety.

If her main social problem is getting into a Naco disco, then her problems are relatively minor.....

I think she 's not understanding that she has to do her part to "fit in" - even a little bit - its not her counrty or ssociety and she could be a little flexible.

-learn the language
-lose the tatts/peircings/ wierd-different hair
-lose the anti-social clothing: tears, rips, stains, - anything "hip/hipster" - Goth - Metal.

-or anything visibly or outrageously - LGBT/trans/......

DR is in many way a traditional society and the level of demoralization that has affected the US etc - has not affected them yet (...thank God !)

what does that last sentence mean?

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Dominicans still believe in personal pride and hygiene as expressed by the image you portray to greater society.

-neatly cut or prepared hair
-obsessive about cleanliness of skin and clothing, nails
-neat and clothing in order
-clean shoes

They are not demoralized ....yet

-scruffy unkept hair
-weird colors/styles/ cuts of hair ( although this is changing - women with red/pink higlights and fronts - demoralizing influence from the US media no doubt )
-dirty i.e. GRUNGE
-no abuse of body via excessive piercing and coloring /tattoo
-no exposing underwear and buttocks to the world : (although changing - US media)
-gender appropriate in style

Their appearance does not convey depression, demoralization, anxiety, low confidence, anti-social tendencies, as much of appearance in the urban USA does for example.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't believe the "Dress Code" in the USA is a result of any demoralization, but just a "Fashion" statement.
The "Youth" have always used unconventional dress to show their non-conformity and independence from the societal "Norms".
I sure did, and still do,up to a point.
Young Dominicans seem to be better dressed than their North American counter parts, even when they live in a "Tin House".
May be partly because the DR is a homogenious society, and conformity is more appreciated/ expected here.
Now that I could care less what Dominicans, or anyone else for that matter, think of me, it's a black T-Shirt, and long black shorts, or I don't go!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Oh pleeeeaze

Dominicans still believe in personal pride and hygiene as expressed by the image you portray to greater society.

-neatly cut or prepared hair
-obsessive about cleanliness of skin and clothing, nails
-neat and clothing in order
-clean shoes

They are not demoralized ....yet

-scruffy unkept hair
-weird colors/styles/ cuts of hair ( although this is changing - women with red/pink higlights and fronts - demoralizing influence from the US media no doubt )
-dirty i.e. GRUNGE
-no abuse of body via excessive piercing and coloring /tattoo
-no exposing underwear and buttocks to the world : (although changing - US media)
-gender appropriate in style

Their appearance does not convey depression, demoralization, anxiety, low confidence, anti-social tendencies, as much of appearance in the urban USA does for example.

Clothing in order ?

On my last flight to SD, there was a young woman wearing a see through outfit, a grandma with a orange short with yellow blouse, others made me wonder how they were going to breath during the flight cause they clothes were so tight...

Half of the flight, look like they going clubbing.

I barely look at the gates number while in JFK, A flight to DR is easily recognisable, lol :bandit:

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Clothing in order ?

On my last flight to SD, there was a young woman wearing a see through outfit, a grandma with a orange short with yellow blouse, others made me wonder how they were going to breath during the flight cause they clothes were so tight...

I barely look at the gates number while in JFK, A flight to DR is easily recognisable, lol :bandit:

Yes, On your flight TO SD. In other words Dominicans who have spent some time in the US......

likely demoralized if the dress was inappropriate by time spent in the US .......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, On your flight TO SD. In other words Dominicans who have spent some time in the US......

likely demoralized if the dress was inappropriate by time spent in the US .......

i do not find Americans to be any more outrageously dressed than people i see here in spandex pants that are 11 sizes too small, that reveal even the colors of women's panties. actually, do not get me wrong; i am not complaining.

May 12, 2005
Clothing in order ?

Chopo Dominican Yorks

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
CC,

Re Read what you just wrote. You agree with me but didn't recognize it.

"The Youth.....up to a point" - exactly - not demoralized.

"Young Dominicans seem ...better dressed .....even in a "Tin House" - exactly - not demoralized.

The reason has nothing to with how homogenous the society is.... the US has always been homogenous....but demoralization has been high only in the last generation or two.

conformity is more appreciated/expected - yes...., but the question is why ???

Conformity - to the extent that it exists - is not for conformity sake alone, but because the people are not yet as demoralized
as those in the US.

-pride in cleanliness
-pride in grooming
-lower level of antisocial clothing/apparel/grooming - regardless of economic circumstance
-gender appropriate: men look like men - women look like women: no-less gender confusion - as expressed buy external appearance.
-no/less MORBID obesity - as one sees in rural/suburban USA for example (thoug will change due to new fast foods imagine)

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Just be yourself...If walking to a local corner market store for a beer, soda whatever, say hello to people along the way..I have yet to not get a hola, salude, etc back..Salude if spelling is correct means bless you, health..I have met a few people just by saying hello while walking..2 of which has been to the States and speaks perfect English... they all seem very friendly, just be careful since you're a woman? maybe bad advice here...

However, there are plenty of folks here on DR1..PM if you like, I'm in Puerto Plata...My girlfriend has a ton of friends and huge family, I'm sure she will get you going here in the DR with new friends etc..She's great!!

Anthony

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
CC,

Re Read what you just wrote. You agree with me but didn't recognize it.

"The Youth.....up to a point" - exactly - not demoralized.

"Young Dominicans seem ...better dressed .....even in a "Tin House" - exactly - not demoralized.

The reason has nothing to with how homogenous the society is.... the US has always been homogenous....but demoralization has been high only in the last generation or two.

conformity is more appreciated/expected - yes...., but the question is why ???

Conformity - to the extent that it exists - is not for conformity sake alone, but because the people are not yet as demoralized
as those in the US.

-pride in cleanliness
-pride in grooming
-lower level of antisocial clothing/apparel/grooming - regardless of economic circumstance
-gender appropriate: men look like men - women look like women: no-less gender confusion - as expressed buy external appearance.
-no/less MORBID obesity - as one sees in rural/suburban USA for example (thoug will change due to new fast foods imagine)

kdolo, forgive me for being inquisitive, but since when has the USA been a homogenous society? homogenous in respect to what? you mean conforming to certain norms?

are you crazy? who do you think sets the trends in most things? as a matter of fact, DR takes its fashion cues from the USA. as for the 'cleanliness" thing...in regard to what? who do you think develops the body wash products that line miles of aisles in supermarkets? when last did the DR come up with some innovative deodorant delivery method?

you baffle me.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
i do not find Americans to be any more outrageously dressed than people i see here in spandex pants that are 11 sizes too small, that reveal even the colors of women's panties. actually, do not get me wrong; i am not complaining.

dont' confuse provocative with demoralized - (although if extreme, there may be some over lap)

they keys are:

neatness
cleanliness
abusive to body: piercings/tattoos
nonsensical-irrational coloring changes: i.e. African making hair Yellow Blond, others: pink, green, blue hair, half shaved, etc..
irrational-cuts/designs
antisocial use reflecting gender confusion or extremely offensive: exposure of bare buttocks/ underwear to public
cut, torn, shredded, asymetric clothing

in other words appearance reflecting: depression, anxiety, demoralization, hostility, anti-social feeling, low confidence, or other types of psychological distress.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Sorry - misprint - the USA - has NEVER been a homogenous society, but this has nothing to do demoralization - which is relatively recent in the US.

a generation - maybe two.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive seen all those and worse here, sorry but Dominicans are no different to everyone else - some are clean and some arent

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
dont' confuse provocative with demoralized - (although if extreme, there may be some over lap)

they keys are:

neatness
cleanliness
nonsensical-irrational coloring changes: i.e. African making hair Yellow Blond, others: pink, green, blue hair, half shaved, etc..
irrational-cuts/designs
antisocial use reflecting gender confusion or extremely offensive: exposure of bare buttocks/ underwear to public

in other words appearance reflecting: depression, anxiety, demoralization, hostility, anti-social feeling, low confidence, or other types of psychological distress.

Most of the people around my way don't look like that nowadays. It s a tiny minority. Where do you go ?

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
I've only been here two months and am absolutely sure I'll never "fit in" like that. People constantly ask me if I'm from Mexico, Spain, etc - and I don't have tattoos or anything else, evenlet my side shave grow out. But people are usually happy to talk to you here in SD whether your Spanish is good or not. Just try to get to know the people where you live or usually hang out. And of course, I'm sure there are people who speak English who'd love to hang out with you. You don't have to "fit in" to be accepted. For me the first month and a half was really, really hard - now I'm loving it. It just changed overnight (my kid finally sleeping most of the nights helped a lot). Anyway, if there aren't any book clubs in English, I'm sure interested in joining one (english isn't my first language and I'd like to get better at it) - so maybe we could ask if more would be interested?

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
you baffle me.[/QUOTE]

Why are you baffled ??? I am making a simple point.

The people in the DR are not as demoralized as the people in the US. Said demoralization tends to be reflected in how one presents oneself to the world .i.e. - style of dress and grooming.

SIGNS of Demoralization include:

sloppy, dirty, disheveled, torn, wrinkled clothing
abusive actions to the body: excessive piercing - tattoos
poor hygiene- skin, nails, teeth
gender inappropriate/confused clothing and styles
clothing worn that expresses hostility or other signs psychological distress....
poor body health: OBESITY or excessive skinniness - bulimia - i.e. eating disorders

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Most of the people around my way don't look like that nowadays. It s a tiny minority. Where do you go ?

I look at my present family reunion foto - -circa 2012
Then I look at the family reunion foto - of my parents when they younger - circa - 1980
Then I look at the family foto of my parents et al - circa 1965
Then I look a the family foto of my grandparents - circa 1940s

Can you imagine the differences ???? demoralization

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

they keys are:

neatness
cleanliness
irrational-cuts/designs

are you saying that Americans suffer from those afflictions, and Dominicans do not? help me here...

i am of Jamaican descent, and the most outrageous fashion statements (if i may call them that) are to be found there. to my mind, they can be characterized as being irrational, and incomprehensible. is that a matter of being demoralized? what if it is a show of individuality? secondly, why would Jamaica rank higher on the Happiness Index than the DR, if clothing was an indicator of demoralization?

Status
Not open for further replies.