I live in SD... as a lone American

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmm so there are no fat people here and everyone is immaculate .....gender appropriate clothing (my mother considered trousers masculine)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I look at my present family reunion foto - -circa 2012
Then I look at the family reunion foto - of my parents when they younger - circa - 1980
Then I look at the family foto of my parents et al - circa 1965
Then I look a the family foto of my grandparents - circa 1940s

Can you imagine the differences ???? demoralization

It may be in your family, lol :nervous:

I love 50-60's style, but I find 80's more demoralizing than 2012. But, things change, evolve, wait for the foto in 2035, you may be surprised.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Can you imagine the differences ???? demoralization[/QUOTE] And what about now?? I look in the mirror and even the crack gets longer, like its trying to run away?

I look at my present family reunion foto - -circa 2012
Then I look at the family reunion foto - of my parents when they younger - circa - 1980
Then I look at the family foto of my parents et al - circa 1965
Then I look a the family foto of my grandparents - circa 1940s

Can you imagine the differences ???? demoralization

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you baffle me.

Why are you baffled ??? I am making a simple point.

The people in the DR are not as demoralized as the people in the US. Said demoralization tends to be reflected in how one presents oneself to the world .i.e. - style of dress and grooming.

SIGNS of Demoralization include:

sloppy, dirty, disheveled, torn, wrinkled clothing
abusive actions to the body: excessive piercing - tattoos
poor hygiene- skin, nails, teeth
gender inappropriate/confused clothing and styles
clothing worn that expresses hostility or other signs psychological distress....
poor body health: OBESITY or excessive skinniness - bulimia - i.e. eating disorders[/QUOTE]

tattoo a sign of being demoralized? really? my younger son has a tattoo that covers his entire torso, and his arms. he is not demoralized. when you can reject 5 offers of over 230,000 dollars per year in salary, plus performance bonuses, and you still are not 30 years old, it takes a lot to demoralize you.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Most of the people around my way don't look like that nowadays. It s a tiny minority. Where do you go ?

I am sitting in an internet cafe in central Brooklyn we speak. On the avenue - masssive amounts of:

Obesity -
Disheveled dress
Nonsensical-irrational hair coloring - by females in particular (males too)
Abuse to body: excessive piercing: eyebrow,lip,cheek, nose, tongue - on the same face !
-Tattoo - on neck, chest/breast(exposed), shoulder, forearm, etc - (on the females in particular!!)
Hair: left side long/ right side shaved -

Men and boys: grungy looking, unshaved, scruffy (regardless of race - the white guys all look like Shaggy from Scooby Doo)
most especially Af-Am: extremely low riding pants exposing buttocks and or ofter dingy looking underwear.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
It may be in your family, lol :nervous:

I love 50-60's style, but I find 80's more demoralizing than 2012. But, things change, evolve, wait for the foto in 2035, you may be surprised.

Exactly -
Demoralization - not just change, evolution.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Why are you baffled ??? I am making a simple point.

The people in the DR are not as demoralized as the people in the US. Said demoralization tends to be reflected in how one presents oneself to the world .i.e. - style of dress and grooming.

SIGNS of Demoralization include:

sloppy, dirty, disheveled, torn, wrinkled clothing
abusive actions to the body: excessive piercing - tattoos
poor hygiene- skin, nails, teeth
gender inappropriate/confused clothing and styles
clothing worn that expresses hostility or other signs psychological distress....
poor body health: OBESITY or excessive skinniness - bulimia - i.e. eating disorders

tattoo a sign of being demoralized? really? my younger son has a tattoo that covers his entire torso, and his arms. he is not demoralized. when you can reject 5 offers of over 230,000 dollars per year in salary, plus performance bonuses, and you still are not 30 years old, it takes a lot to demoralize you.[/QUOTE]

Excessive tattooing is typically a sign psychological distress reflecting the desire to:

-inflict physical pain on oneself
-to cover one self up OR change one self in a way that is deeper than just fashion due to underlying anxiety/disatisfaction.
-express anti-social - often time hostile sentiment to the world.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
GORGON,
are you saying that Americans suffer from those afflictions, and Dominicans do not? help me here...

i am of Jamaican descent,...}

I am saying that DR suffers from LESS demoralization than the US at the present time.

And don't get me started on Jamaica......an extremely demoralized people.

1. Every other female wants or has a nonsensical and irrational color of hair and style other than her own natural hair
red, yellow, orange, burgundy, purple, blonde,.....

2.Cultural obsession with changing ones skin -i.e. clothing - Skin Bleach - race

3. extremely high levels of disorganized violence reflect extreme psychological distress, self loathing, anxiety, low self esteem, low confidence.

4. Obsession with the lowest common denominators of existence as reflected by the music and dance: SEX. - as the only markers of self worth and achievement due to being demoralized:
-inability or extreme difficulty of achieving Maslow's hierarchy of needs .....

Common coping mechanisms include attempts to alter one's mental state - if even for a period of time....... GANJA anyone ????

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Geez, and I got abused for making 140,000 at age 36 or so...230,000 at age 30? Nope, they won't believe you..LOL if so, take it!! don't be silly!! if you don't need the money, put it in some CD or whatever for your kids..By Bonds! I had quite a few of those from my Grandparents (God RIP) when I turned 18, bought my first car....1973 Chevy Nova...What rat! filled it up with oil, took one pint of gas and off I went thinking I was badass....Kids..

tattoo a sign of being demoralized? really? my younger son has a tattoo that covers his entire torso, and his arms. he is not demoralized. when you can reject 5 offers of over 230,000 dollars per year in salary, plus performance bonuses, and you still are not 30 years old, it takes a lot to demoralize you.

Excessive tattooing is typically a sign psychological distress reflecting the desire to:

-to cover one self up OR change one self in a way that is deeper than just fashion due to underlying anxiety/disatisfaction.
-express anti-social - often time hostile sentiment to the world.[/QUOTE]

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Common coping mechanisms include attempts to alter one's mental state - if even for a period of time....... GANJA anyone ????

With all due respect kdolo, I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend a little of the Ganja for whatever it is that is obviously ailing you......
It MAY help you understand how important it can be to, every now and again, LIVE AND LET LIVE.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
GORGON,
are you saying that Americans suffer from those afflictions, and Dominicans do not? help me here...

i am of Jamaican descent,...}

I am saying that DR suffers from LESS demoralization than the US at the present time.

And don't get me started on Jamaica......an extremely demoralized people.

1. Every other female wants or has a nonsensical and irrational color of hair and style other than her own natural hair
red, yellow, orange, burgundy, purple, blonde,.....

2.Cultural obsession with changing ones skin -i.e. clothing - Skin Bleach - race

3. extremely high levels of disorganized violence reflect extreme psychological distress, self loathing, anxiety, low self esteem, low confidence.

4. Obsession with the lowest common denominators of existence as reflected by the music and dance: SEX. - as the only markers of self worth and achievement due to being demoralized:
-inability or extreme difficulty of achieving Maslow's hierarchy of needs .....

kdolo, i guess this is where i take my leave of this conversation with you. i would love to engage you, but my days of kindergarten interaction are long gone. i will save my powder for intelligent exchanges. heck, i might need to for the colmado philosophers later this afternoon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Geez, and I got abused for making 140,000 at age 36 or so...230,000 at age 30? Nope, they won't believe you..LOL if so, take it!! don't be silly!! if you don't need the money, put it in some CD or whatever for your kids..By Bonds! I had quite a few of those from my Grandparents (God RIP) when I turned 18, bought my first car....1973 Chevy Nova...What rat! filled it up with oil, took one pint of gas and off I went thinking I was badass....Kids..

-express anti-social - often time hostile sentiment to the world.
[/QUOTE]

he is not taking any of the offers. he has bigger fish to fry in 3 years. so, he will take less today, and wait for the bigger catch.

papillionsprincess

Aug 26, 2008
It can be challenging but honestly there are people like you hear, they're just not as obvious because they hang out in different places then the average Dominican, sometimes in their house with friends etc, color is an issue hear if you make it, but most Dominicans see past your color once they know you, in my experience

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
With all due respect kdolo, I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend a little of the Ganja for whatever it is that is obviously ailing you......
It MAY help you understand how important it can be to, every now and again, LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Oh Boy ! We go from a simple discussion on society to dare I say ad hominem attacks by people who appear to not even understand the conversation. Wow !

All humans self medicate: beer, drinks, herb, sugar, mushrooms, etc, etc, etc, - that is perfectly normal.

In excess however, it can be an indicator of extreme psychological distress that the consumers are suffering.

i.e. Central Brooklyn: Line at the corner store with people buying Phillies blunts ......@ 7 in the morning !! -

Rural Tennesee: the scourge of Hillbilly Heroin

The "better classes": Pharmaceuticals: prozac, SSRIs - etc. some estimates up to 70% of Americna women are on them.......

Jamaica: .....self explanatory.

But, back to the original point: we were talking about Dr, US, clothing as an expression of psycological state etc..

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
GORGON,

kdolo, i guess this is where i take my leave of this conversation with you. i would love to engage you, but my days of kindergarten interaction are long gone. i will save my powder for intelligent exchanges. heck, i might need to for the colmado philosophers later this afternoon.

Instead of the passive aggressive attempt at the ad-hominem attack, how about you deal with my points ....???

Why are you taking anything that i am saying personally ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.