Another great eating place

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You cant beat a fish fry and totones from some of the shacks!!!!! mmmmmmmmmm

PLEASE, "tostones". Totones is just one letter away from being a euphemism for female parts (I think both in Venezuela and DR) and I'm too immature to read it like that and not laugh. Tostones are fantastic though.

Anyone ever been to El Rinconcito in Santiago?

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Meat is so bad here i only buy chickenbreasts.

How about chivo, people allways inviting me like its the best food alive and they cant wait to let my eat it. And damn , chicharon ? Thats what we throw away. Thats soo nasty.

Only great dish i have discovered and would make back in belgium is yaroa. :) looove it

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
went there a few nights ago for burger and fries.He did not have oil for fries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
come on.......................
bob

yes..i feel you. i went to Provocon in front of the Zona Franca once, and they were out of chicken. that is great planning when chicken is all you sell.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Meat is so bad here i only buy chickenbreasts.

How about chivo, people allways inviting me like its the best food alive and they cant wait to let my eat it. And damn , chicharon ? Thats what we throw away. Thats soo nasty.

Only great dish i have discovered and would make back in belgium is yaroa. :) looove it

actually, the pork here is great. an oven roasted pork tenderloin is to die for. you won't get it from the average Jose, because nobody seems to know what the oven section of the stove is for. storing pots and pans, maybe. the goat is also excellent, but people can't cook it properly, so it is a waste of meat. the chicken is also excellent. much better than that antibiotic and steroid stuff from the USA. again, the DR is the land that food forgot, but not because the meat is bad. it's the cooking that sucks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the basic problem with food in the DR is that everybody cooks it the same way. if you eat chicken stew in Nagua, and you eat it in Bonao, it tastes like the same guy cooked it in both places. there is no difference, there is nobody who has a twist. that is a common complaint and observation of life in the DR. no creativity. the only people who have made a slight change ate the Chinese, who offer some dishes that are a little different.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Makes me wonder where you guys hang out, I'm born and raised Dominican, can't remember for the life of me when was the last time I ate rice and beans... ok, now I'm craving con-con! ugh!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is actually depressing news. If I wanted that crap I would have stayed in the US. Outback is an exception as I like a good steak once in awhile.

Bob K

I agree with Bob K on this one. Outback is the only one mentioned thus far that I would visit if I were in the US.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Like 6 months ago my dish was out and i had to watch basic cable to telemicro and such worst amateuristic television ever. But then there was a cooking show , like we do in western countrys on tv with a chef.

This chef opens up a freakn can on tv instead if making the saus himself, pretty funny though seeing a cook on tv cook with cans of soop and such, not being able to do it himself or make time to show it but o well maybe nobody would undrstand how to make it at the end

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Like 6 months ago my dish was out and i had to watch basic cable to telemicro and such worst amateuristic television ever. But then there was a cooking show , like we do in western countrys on tv with a chef.

This chef opens up a freakn can on tv instead if making the saus himself, pretty funny though seeing a cook on tv cook with cans of soop and such, not being able to do it himself or make time to show it but o well maybe nobody would undrstand how to make it at the end

did he also have those sopita cubes for making the chicken stock?

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Offcourse because mixing it up to your own taste is to " difficult"
dominicans dont even taste their food while cooking.

And platano and arroz is a weird mix for me, in belgium a normal meal is patatoes ,vegatable and meat. So its like having 2 times the patato if you understand what i mean :D you wouldnt eat pasta and a dish of rice on the side

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Offcourse because mixing it up to your own taste is to " difficult"
dominicans dont even taste their food while cooking.

And platano and arroz is a weird mix for me, in belgium a normal meal is patatoes ,vegatable and meat. So its like having 2 times the patato if you understand what i mean :D you wouldnt eat pasta and a dish of rice on the side

Carbs are cheaper and more filling. When you're poor you want to feel full while spending the least amount of money possible.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I know its filling but i know rich people doing it too. One time i made this awesome spaghetti with a provincial sause at a friends house to make him some nice dinner :0 and this guy fried himself some platano to eat with my spagetti ??? :D allways complain.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
That's because fried platano is absolutely delicious. Not saying it goes with spaghetti and a nice sauce but it just is. You can't keep comparing everything you see here with the way it is back in Belgium, each culture is what it is.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Not really, Rice is carb and plantain is technically a fruit.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
However, and getting back on topic, typical food restaurants are not as successful as american fast food restaurants. Go figure.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I cook for myself.

Start with water or oil.

mise en place, the setup:

meats, vegetables , herbs and spices (fresh if available powdered if that's all that's available)

Start the heat, throw stuff in.

I don't cook crap laden with salt, sugar and starch.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Offcourse im talking about culinary culture concerning eating habits cooking styles but when you go to a restaurant do yo ask for tostones with your spagheti or pizza ??? :) thats just weird same as yuka for breakfast,no wonder some poor people are so fat