Why I think I'll be leave the DR (2.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
A corn dog Cart!! that's the ticket///

all over they have hot dog carts.. but no Corn dogs. Man, they would love them

Hey,. two months. Nothing. Really. And you have not even toured the island. Go to Las Terrenas and just SEE how many foreigners have made sucesses of business.

Then go down across by ferry to Sabana del Mar because the Miches Coast is the next one scheduled to be developed .. And you could be the First corn dog cart in..

ok. I am only half kidding. But you must have SOME spirit of adventure. And if you have enough to start a business then.. well you either made it, in which case you can most likely make it again.. Or you inherited it.. and so, easy come, easy go.

The trick is to find something that you really love to do. And want to work at. Or figure out a sweet idea that will put you ahead of things. And get real estate that is a good investment.

Go see Punta Cana and Cortecito.. see what is happening there. It takes more than a WEEK to see the island.

I have been here ten years and have not seen it all. And I traveled a lot. It takes a WEEK to even get a grim on Monte Christi.. *ok.. some would say you can do that in a day.. but me, I like to really get a grip on things!!

So, pretend that you are just starting all over again. Leave POP. Rent a good car for month. DRIVE the entire island. Do not leave out Pedernales. Or Paraiso. Do not leave out Miches. I guess you really do not want to be INLAND, is that what I gathered? So do the entire coast line.

Keep your eyes open. See how many new hotels there are. How many new buildings. How much seems empty. What seems filling up. If you like a place, stay a week. See if you can feed your self from the restaurtants. That sort of thing.

Believe me, whatever you learn will serve you will on your next quest!

Great post. All of can take something good away for this one

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Leaving dr

I never reply to posts but I have to reply to this one.

You sound like a good and decent person.

I have two words for you and you will remember them: Get out!

This is hell and it's not for people like you.

To Dominicans, us white people are just ATM machines they want to rob.

A Dominican woman will never fall in love with you. ever.

They may cook for you, they may call you "Papi" but you will never

Be their Papi.

Don't listen to the people on this forum.

They are not brave enough to say the truth.

These people here men and women are liers, cheaters and scoundrels.

There is not one decent person on this island.

I have been around Caribbean people for over 30 years of my life.

Not one is good.

They will all smile in your face and act nice.

That means nothing.

They are backstabbers and they don't love anyone.

They will never love you. Ever.

If you choose not to take my advice, you will remember my words.

Never, ever get close to a Dominican woman.

They are all demons.

Poor, middle class, rich, it means nothing.

As far as business here, it will be the worst mistake you will ever make.

I personally know the owner of Gorditos in Cabarete.

It took them blood sweat and tears to open that business.

It is different if you want to do an online business here and rent

An apartment.

So you can walk away at any time.

Do not, under any circumstances commit yourself to this place.

Please don't do it.

You will regret it.

As far as renting a car, driving around, blah, blah, blah,

It won't matter.

All these people and I mean all they all hate us foreigners.

They will call you mi amor, they will offer to cook for you...

Walk away!

If you want kindness and hospitality, go to Spain.

You have to understand.

These people have a slave mentality, they are inferior to us

And they know it.

They can't love us and they will never accept us.

Part 1 of this thread was very very helpful. Many of you who have lived here for many years gave good advice and helpful commentary. For that I thank you. Many of you stated that I came to the DR with way too high of expectations. After consideration, I believe that you all were correct. I came here with more than enough money to start a business and live comfortable for a few years even if the business failed. With my motivated can-do american attitude and business savvy I was sure that I my education and experience would allow me to be successful here. I was enamored with the beautiful women and seemingly humble culture that I had experienced in my previous visits here.

I had plans on moving here, starting a small business, marrying a beautiful Dominican woman who would teach me the essence of her culture and I mine, and we would live out our years in happiness watching the sunset in the evenings from our quaint house just outside the city. (I bet many of you are laughing at my naivete... lol)

Yesterday, I celebrated my 2 month anniversary of moving to this country. I was talking with a friend and he and I both were sharing some of our experiences. It was amazing that he felt the same way as I did. It felt good to know that I wasn't the only one.

I am VERY VERY reluctant to start a business here because of what I've been told about buying property, and what I've experienced in trying to rent commercial property here. I know it can be done, but the people are so blatantly predatoristic in their business practices it's shameful.(maybe I'll start a better business bureau lol). Also, I don't think that I can allow myself to fall in love here. The lies and acceptance of cheating in the culture is just not something that I can go along with. I know I'm a hopeless romantic and I just don't think I can take anymore heartbreak. People tell me that there are better people in non-tourist areas and I shall soon see as I plan on touring the country in week long trips. Nontheless, I'd have to meet an absolute angel in order to destroy my jaded mentality that has in turn built a fortified wall around my heart. It's a shame because I came with so much love to give.
I don't want to live in far away from the beach, that was the reason I moved here. Living in Santo Domingo, or Santiago, or even Constanza would be pointless to me. I might as well just move back home if that was the case. I don't know what to do. But like I said, I am giving it a few more months. I am trying to be as open-minded as possible. I believe that everything happens for a reason. So maybe this bitter experience is preparing me for something that is much more sweet. Only time will tell....

Thanks again for all your support. You guys/gals are great.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Be their Papi.

Not one is good.

That means nothing.

They are all demons.

An apartment.

Please don't do it.

You will regret it.

It won't matter.

Walk away!

You have to understand.

And they know it.

WOW. You got some deep issues. No one nationality is hateful and dishonest. Caribbean people vary from island to island and certainly are not the same.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Be their Papi.

Not one is good.

That means nothing.

They are all demons.

An apartment.

Please don't do it.

You will regret it.

It won't matter.

Walk away!

You have to understand.

And they know it.

Go on,
Tell us what you really think....

Unfortunately, despite the despair written into your post which I sympathise with and the tone of frustration with which it's written, there is a lot of truth there,

whether we like it or not.......

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
WOW. You got some deep issues. No one nationality is hateful and dishonest. Caribbean people vary from island to island and certainly are not the same.

Like businessdr state in his post which is a 1000% true he DOES NOT reply to threads, so I would think it is safe to say he does not post just to post.

Bob S this is NOT your reality it is HIS!!! so why does he have deep issues because he is merely posting about his reality.

Everybody DR is different no two people will have the same opinion on the DR because everyone situation is different.

Now I do not agree with everything posted by businessdr, but I can understand why he posted all about his frustrations in DR.

Respect is a two way street and if businessdr feels he is always disrespected then you will see a post like the one he posted.

BTW Everyone is NOT wired to accept certain types of behavior just because it is the norm.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
businessdr, you sound like a guy who just found out that a motoconcho guy is banging your novia.

there is a lot of truth in what you say. however, there is one point you assert, which explains the reaction that Dominicans have toward foreigners. two, actually. first you say they will not love white people. you go on to say that they are inferior. well, with people like you, who believe that you are better than they are, how do you expect to get love, and trust? these people might not have studied Virgil and Plato, but they have basic instincts. they know that many gringos are like you, and deem them to be inferior, disposable beasts. yes, they are going to try to sucker you, because they know that they cannot get into any type of conventional relationship with you, because you see them to be something beneath you. look in the mirror while you rant.

we have found the enemy, and he is us.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Like businessdr state in his post which is a 1000% true he DOES NOT reply to threads, so I would think it is safe to say he does not post just to post.

Bob S this is NOT your reality it is HIS!!! so why does he have deep issues because he is merely posting about his reality.

Everybody DR is different no two people will have the same opinion on the DR because everyone situation is different.

Now I do not agree with everything posted by businessdr, but I can understand why he posted all about his frustrations in DR.

Respect is a two way street and if businessdr feels he is always disrespected then you will see a post like the one he posted.

BTW Everyone is NOT wired to accept certain types of behavior just because it is the norm.

A person with 30 years of experience with Caribbean people, doesn't ask the kind of question businessdr asks on this forum.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

it is not hard for someone who feels that other people are his INFERIORS to feel disrespected by said people. i have several issues with life in the DR. it has not yet risen to the point where i assert that they are inferior to me. different, yes. but inferior?any guy who claims to have lived in many caribbean islands, and all the people are the same (inferior to him, of course) has some serious issues.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
says JMB;

do you think that maybe, just maybe, he also disrespects them?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
A person with 30 years of experience with Caribbean people, doesn't ask the kind of question businessdr asks on this forum.

You are a man in education right??? Give me any type of situation when it is WRONG!!! to ask a question??? Do you teach you kids in school that some question should not be asked???

If a person does not want to find the answer on their own then they ask a question to someone who knows. How this wrong???

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some may have noticed that s/he never answers posts, not even to thank posters for their helpful comments.

That says it all.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
This is what some of you are not understanding. In places like NYC, LA, London Sydney Paris etc. You can created you own little world have NEVER have to embrace the new culture or the new country or place you decided to live in.

If a person wanted to live in NYC and never wanted to make any friends they could do that and be just fine, because I know a few people that move there and still does not have any real friends.

In DR it is different you NEED to have a few trustworthy Dominicans in you life if you want to enjoy or just content in DR. If you are the person to throw you hands in the air and say" the hell with all Dominicans" the DR could be a very lonely place and it can go south really fast.

I learn about DR and Dominicans by watching and listening to other Dominicans. They will provide a lot of info. just by watching their daily routines. Dominicans speak the LOUDEST when they are not even talking or moving their lips.

One last thing most Dominican do not lie just to lie they AWLAYS lie about something if they can benefit some kind of way and when the OP and businessdr learn to look at the BIG picture and not just believe what Dominicans are telling them or want them to believe the DR will be a much better place for the two of them.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Mo,

Sorry to hear of travails. Give it more time. Change the chart for the boat perhaps.

As one who manages a hotel for an American family - business, labor laws, what is "acceptable" for work standard - is now never a surprise after 2 years. 5 minutes = 25. After noon = After 2 pm. Time and work have different value for the employee. I get everything in written estimates in advance and signed paid for afterward. A 30 minute shopping trip for supplies is 3 hours(check the items three times before you get out the door, the credit card machine never works)
Purchasing real estate here thru reputable channels is possible - but my personal experience is - lease, or rent first to figure out the lay of the land, traffic flow, insurance issues, etc etc..

I will say - I know there are lots of gringos/extranjeros who will agree with my viewpoint on business and life challenges. I try to find the ones who don't. It is easy enough to get a Tropical Depression - late employees, no show, nothing at the store you want, overcharged taxis, peddlers, false promises...I don't need disgruntled fellow expats to reinforce it. I try to find those Dominicans who surprise me and come to work, help me out, open their mind to new things.

My first venture here was many years ago with more than enough money to start a business. And like so many others - it is all gone. I have enough to fly home with if I need to. I found contentment letting someone else OWN it and have all the PROBLEMS.

Romance is a different, complicated matter here I will leave to others to comment on. My partner and I are content and igualmente celosos. I guess that means we care enough to wonder who and what is always going on :)

Best of luck. Hang in there - it is a beautiful, funny and crazy place.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
says JMB;

do you think that maybe, just maybe, he also disrespects them?

No I do not believe he disrespect them but I do believe by reading a lot of his threads he just want to his own person in DR.

I really think if anyone wants to live and enjoy the DR they have to lose a part of themselves and embrace a part of DR and Dominicans otherwise they will forever be in an endless war in their minds ME vs the Dominican Republic.

Example: I HATE fried salami but when I am in DR visiting people and they cook it I have to eat.

Anything in life you will find it is much harder going against the current rather then going with it. It is not impossible to fight the current and swim up stream but you will be so TIRED and EXHAUSTED when you finish and doesn't it look like businessdr is both????

donP

Dec 14, 2008
She has a wife?

Some may have noticed that s/he never answers posts, not even to thank posters for their helpful comments.
Yes, almost all her posts are questions.
[She thanked for replies several times...]

Her harsh observation / experience is based on not much more than 16 months in the country.
And her previous posts suggest to better not believe all she writes. :cross-eye

We are both in our early 30's.
with 30 years among Caribbeans... :rolleyes:

My wife and I are new to the city.
posted 16 months ago

I am a 28 year old Canadian woman and I am relocating to DR for work.

...My daughter is a marketing consultant, and she is relocating to DR.

I have an online website for restaurants all over the world, and I am expanding into Latin America.
I am based in Santo Domingo, ...

donP

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
I learn about DR and Dominicans by watching and listening to other Dominicans. They will provide a lot of info. just by watching their daily routines. Dominicans speak the LOUDEST when they are not even talking or moving their lips.

One last thing most Dominican do not lie just to lie they AWLAYS lie about something if they can benefit some kind of way and when the OP and businessdr learn to look at the BIG picture and not just believe what Dominicans are telling them or want them to believe the DR will be a much better place for the two of them.

I second that... It is the great looking, polished, well educated employees who say all the right things...that I now watch the most.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Her harsh observation / experience is based on not much more than 16 months in the country.

*)
posted 16 months ago

donP

He or she could also let other people use their log in info. so they can ask a certain question without becoming a member. Many people do this sort of thing all over the internet.

I am not a Facebook member but when I have a question for someone I use my sisters log in info because a lot her friends are also mine.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No I do not believe he disrespect them but I do believe by reading a lot of his threads he just want to his own person in DR.

I really think if anyone wants to live and enjoy the DR they have to lose a part of themselves and embrace a part of DR and Dominicans otherwise they will forever be in an endless war in their minds ME vs the Dominican Republic.

Example: I HATE fried salami but when I am in DR visiting people and they cook it I have to eat.

Anything in life you will find it is much harder going against the current rather then going with it. It is not impossible to fight the current and swim up stream but you will be so TIRED and EXHAUSTED when you finish and doesn't it look like businessdr is both????

so i guess that you do not consider asserting that people are inferior to you is an indicator of disrespect? so tell us what is, then. besides, you do not even know this poster from a hole in the wall, but you are willing to accept his claim that everybody disrespects him. then you say that you don't believe he disrespects them.

now there is some objectivity for ya.

by the way, i am not a New Age guy; i am old school. can you explain the essential constructs that go into making someone "his own person"?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

with 30 years among Caribbeans... :rolleyes:

posted 16 months ago

donP

nice work, donP

Status
Not open for further replies.