sad facts about breastfeeding in DR

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My wife breast fed for the first year.. we're both Dominican and none of our friends ever asked us why she breast fed since we were "rich". One of our good friends is a pediatrician and she actually commended us on the decision to breast feed with both of our children. We also do not have any friends that save cans of milk for a photo, honestly some of these stories make me question the type of people some of you hang around.

She had to stop breastfeeding after a year because she had to start work again (GASP!!! Dominicans that work?? Can't exist!!), and doesn't have the time to breastfeed multiple times a day now.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There is always the possibility that they are simply very bad at compiling statistics. 7% seems pitifully low. It is not like they send out questionnaires. My guess is that the only thing they know is whether the mother was breastfeeding when she left the hospital.

Xavier, you forget the golden rule, statistics are only reliable on DR1 if they cast the DR in a negative light.. duh!

Aug 6, 2006
Xavier, you forget the golden rule, statistics are only reliable on DR1 if they cast the DR in a negative light.. duh!

You may be right about this. I tend to think that the same sort of people who run the electric companies also do these statistical studies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

negative? what are you talking about? it shows that 93% of the population of DR is rich and can afford canned formula! echa pa'lante!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My common sense gives way to your experience. Its too bad. Moms milk is the best and best of all -free. Dominican behavior fooled me again.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lack of breastfeeding in the DR has been discussed here on DR1 before.
There is ONLY one reason Dominican woman don't breastfeed, they like "Nice Tits" more than healthy children!!!!!
In the "Campo" some get breast milk, but only because their moms can't afford to by anything else.
Give them some "Alacta" and see how long they breastfeed!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Lack of breastfeeding in the DR has been discussed here on DR1 before.
There is ONLY one reason Dominican woman don't breastfeed, they like "Nice Tits" more than healthy children!!!!!
In the "Campo" some get breast milk, but only because their moms can't afford to by anything else.
Give them some "Alacta" and see how long they breastfeed!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BS too, I have nice tits and I breastfed both my children. :rambo: (believe it s genetic)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
BS too, I have nice tits and I breastfed both my children. :rambo: (believe it s genetic)

exactly! i did not breastfeed any kids and my tits are so low that without a bra i look like i'm wearing soft pink slippers.

cairotaxi

Dec 17, 2012
1.Jealous of the breasts that still look good.
2. Never had kids or breastfed so I have a similar look to dv8 not to Africaida!! Darn it.
3. I'm now of the thought that getting older is rather cruel. Everything shifts, changes, moves, etc.!!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Ok .....that's enough ladies ....I speak for some of the men....we need pictures please

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
because free has no value. someone mentioned this before but there is a tradition in DR to save all cans of the milk the baby had so that on the first birthday you can take a picture of the kid with all the cans in the background to show how much money you spent. i spoke to my SIL about that and she says that her friend from the university does that, with all 3 or 4 of her kids. well educated, rich and still a dumbf**k. SIL is keeping the lids of the milk cans. she says she will decorate a xmas tree with that. god help. i just shook my head. pathetic does not even begin to describe it.

This explains why my wife was keeping all the cans and also the empty jars of baby food.....She finally gave that up when I started to use the cans to store things in the garage like screws and bolts.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Well, people. Sorry to say it but the 7% is correct. There was another one done last year that set DR at 8%. These are true numbers but again it means EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding for the first 6 months.

There are several reasons that Dominican women don't breastfeed. Like you have mentioned, the myth of sagging breasts. I have breastfed 3 of my 4 children and my breasts don't sag but then again I'm only a 34B. Also, among the wealthy, being able to buy formula is a status symbol. Then there are the hundreds of myths that even OBs and Pediatricians here perpetuate.

It is very hard for a woman here who wants to exclusively breastfeed. The LaLeche League does tons of education but they can't combat the tias, and abuelas, and primas back home who tell these women that they are starving their children or that by breastfeeding they are overly babying them.

You may think that its not a problem, that they can do what they want but it is a problem when children are malnourished and sick because mothers are adding double the water to the formula to make it last longer, or using tainted water, or giving the baby powder mixes that have no nutrients (there is no baby formula that comes in chocolate and strawberry), or one of the other many ways these children are getting sick.

It is a lack of education in the community ad especially the medical community because if your pediatrician is telling you that your breastmilk is not enough, then who are you going to believe? These women are not educated and they cannot stand up for themselves and their babies against their families and their doctors.

It's very sad.

SHALENA

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I believe the stats are correct as well, especially from what I have seen and heard from Dominican mothers. I will say that almost every Dominican mother I know did/does breastfeed and even many do it for quite a while BUT as these stats show, they don't do it exclusively. Almost all of the ones I know, also use some sort of formula for some of the time. When I ask them about it, they have told me that baby isn't getting 'enough' food from just the breastmilk and that they need the formula to really fill up. So I think the big thing is teaching them that breastfeeding really is enough. Sad thing is, when my daughter was a bit small at her first few check ups (she was born small so she wasn't going down at all on her chart), our doctor was also suggesting formula eventhough I had enough milk to feed several babies!!! :/ The amount of milk wasn't the problem but the doctor's first suggestion was "This baby needs formula". Such a shame.