sad facts about breastfeeding in DR

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
I have been following this thread from the beginning. Yet every-time I click on the new updated posts I am hopping to see pictures of boobs. :lick:

Aug 6, 2006
That lactose intolerant stuff doesn't apply to momma's titty does it, or just cows' lactose?

I seriously doubt that there are many, if any, human babies that are intolerant of their mother's milk. Soy contains some female hormones, by the way.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I would be interested to see how many babies are fed mostly on mother's milk. I am willing to bet that the number goes to well over 50%.

The 7% is only for babies who caretakers are also substituting/supplementing their diet. Strictly speaking that number should be 0% as the advice to give babies extra vitamine D is still universal. so the percentage could relate to the 7% who don't give vitamin D.

As far as formula feeding only goes - from my familial experience most mothers breastfeed, at least until they must return to their jobs and even then often leave bottles for the babies. This gets supplemented with baby formula, usually mixed with some form of mineral water like Spa or Evian. Of course, this is not a representative sample.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would be interested to see how many babies are fed mostly on mother's milk. I am willing to bet that the number goes to well over 50%.

The 7% is only for babies who caretakers are also substituting/supplementing their diet. Strictly speaking that number should be 0% as the advice to give babies extra vitamine D is still universal. so the percentage could relate to the 7% who don't give vitamin D.

As far as formula feeding only goes - from my familial experience most mothers breastfeed, at least until they must return to their jobs and even then often leave bottles for the babies. This gets supplemented with baby formula, usually mixed with some form of mineral water like Spa or Evian. Of course, this is not a representative sample.

The advice on giving Vitamin D is NOT universal LLLI | FAQ on Vitamin and Fluoride Supplements

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lots of FREE vitamin D here in the DR!
It's IRON that's in short supply.
Many children are anemic here due to lack of iron in their diet.
Salt,Sugar, & FAT, they get plenty of!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

Uuuuuuhhhh, No. A baby needs NO supplementation of ANYTHING with breastmilk for the first 6 months. EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding is recommended for infants 6 months and younger.

SHALENA

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I find this to be one of the oddest things in the DR, why on earth would people pay for things that are free and healthier?!
I so miss common sense!

You have answered your own question....Common sense is the one thing missing most in this culture. Maybe this is due to the powdered milk diet :ermm:

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Uuuuuuhhhh, No. A baby needs NO supplementation of ANYTHING with breastmilk for the first 6 months. EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding is recommended for infants 6 months and younger.

SHALENA

Shalena, I refer to my post below. Your position is not universally supported it seems.. Apperently there is no concensus in the medical field. Where I live all babies are under advice to receive additional vitamin K + D supplements, whether or not they are breastfed.

For babies that do not receive supplementation studies show that their bone development is statistically significant less developed.

Just to be clear; I fully support breastfeeding.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

SHALENA

A woman would need to eat a healthy diet for the baby to need no supplements. I don't think the majority of Dominican women get enough good nutrition if they are poor.
We are what we eat and the babies are what the mother eats.

Apr 7, 2014
Starting to addict babies to vitamin supplements before they have ever tasted a cookie is weird.

Not from a capitalistic sense. You create consumption based health issues early and start the road to malnutrition young. Therefore there will always be a need for your "medical expertise" because the children always have health issues. In the US, you have all of these fat kids with allergies.

The iron(anemia) issue is because here they favor the RED bean where they should be eating the BLACK bean. But no one likes black beans here. Also they dont consume any Brassica style leafy vegetables. You dont need to eat meat to get a sufficient amount of iron in your diet but the vegetable foods that have it are grown here but not consumed in abundance or prepared wrong. You boil the Broccoli and it loses any nutritional value it had and is ow only fit for dietary roughage. You couldnt convince a breast feeding mother to eat it raw and absorb the entire potency of the vegetable(which is transferred via breast milk to the child).

No one needs Flouride in their diet.

And unfortunately, plantains have little nutritional value for humans.

Apr 7, 2014
Shalena, I refer to my post below. Your position is not universally supported it seems.. Apperently there is no concensus in the medical field. Where I live all babies are under advice to receive additional vitamin K + D supplements, whether or not they are breastfed.

For babies that do not receive supplementation studies show that their bone development is statistically significant less developed.

Just to be clear; I fully support breastfeeding.

I find it peculiar how people have lived thousands of years and never had Vitamin ? deficiency until some health agency said they did. I dont think those studies will blatanty show bone defects as opposed to it is assumed they would unless they purchase So & So Corporation's patented nutritional supplement endorsed by a global health organization.

Aug 6, 2006
Stannous fluoride will prevent dental cavities. It was observed that in West Texas, where the artisan well water had small amounts of fluoride, children rarely developed cavities.

There is no reason to give it to children before they have teeth. Fluoride toothpaste is adequate for the purpose.
Just look it up, already.

The John Birchers in the 1950's claimed that fluoridation in the public water supply was a Communist trick to poison the entire population. Observe how that turned out.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I find it peculiar how people have lived thousands of years and never had Vitamin ? deficiency until some health agency said they did. I dont think those studies will blatanty show bone defects as opposed to it is assumed they would unless they purchase So & So Corporation's patented nutritional supplement endorsed by a global health organization.

Have you never heard of rickets?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
vitamins and medicine is not food, it does not count. here in DR vitamins for babies come in a form of a liquid and dose is measured in drops or spoons, depending on age. this does not count as food.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I think the high rate of C-sections go hand in hand with lack of support for breast feeding. Overall, education is paramount, and education and pre-natal information costs money. There's not much money to be had in providing information about breast feeding, while there is money to be had from selling formula.

I read a lot when I was pregnant (but I didn't know about vitamin D or iron deficiency) about the benefits of breastfeeding, and couldn't imagine any other choice for my child. How much does the "average" Dominican know about giving birth and breast feeding? How much pre-natal information does she receive? Not everyone would shy away from C-sections and begin breast feeding just by reading a pamphlet, but some may begin to ask more questions.

UNICEF has studied it, and has a few pamphlets available. (Love the one for the fathers, like any of that is going to happen.) So next time you are looking for that perfect baby shower gift, why not toss in a copy of this:

http://www.unicef.org/republicadominicana/english/BROCHURE_LACTANCIA_2011_PREVIEW_.pdf

There's even a law about it!

Apr 7, 2014
Stannous fluoride will prevent dental cavities. It was observed that in West Texas, where the artisan well water had small amounts of fluoride, children rarely developed cavities.

There is no reason to give it to children before they have teeth. Fluoride toothpaste is adequate for the purpose.
Just look it up, already.

The John Birchers in the 1950's claimed that fluoridation in the public water supply was a Communist trick to poison the entire population. Observe how that turned out.

People dont develop cavities in Native American societies either, it isnt because of flouride but diet. Flouride deteriorates the enamel of your teeth making you prone to develop cavities in the 1st place. Flouride toothpaste serves no purpose except to ensure that children will visit a dentist to correct the problems it causes. You can get better results brushing your teeth with baking soda.

Rickets: Deficiency of Calcium & Phosphorus, again diet related. Newborn babies "need" supplementation from breast milk? Nah, I dont think so. They get everything they need from breast milk. And if they are malnourished it is because the mothers diet is improper. She would need supplementation before the child would.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Proper nutrition for the breast feeding "Mami" is the important factor in breast feeding!
I received breast milk only for the first six months of my life, so it is obviously a good indicator of super intellectual ability later in life!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I still take a "Swig" now and again, when the opportunity ARISES!
Kind of like a "Booster Shot"!