sad facts about breastfeeding in DR

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
"Afri",...I'll believe THAT, when I see 'em!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm an "A$$ MAN", Not a "TIT MAN", so I don't care anyway!!!!!

An Africana with a small ass is as common as a Dominicana breastfeeding :lick:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If a woman can't set a champaign glass on top of her "A$$", she ain't MY TYPE!
Preferably the whole bottle!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If a woman can't set a champaign glass on top of her "A$$", she ain't MY TYPE!
Preferably the whole bottle!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

images

Take your pick....

Veuve Clicquot is my nickname :bandit:

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
because free has no value. someone mentioned this before but there is a tradition in DR to save all cans of the milk the baby had so that on the first birthday you can take a picture of the kid with all the cans in the background to show how much money you spent. i spoke to my SIL about that and she says that her friend from the university does that, with all 3 or 4 of her kids. well educated, rich and still a dumbf**k. SIL is keeping the lids of the milk cans. she says she will decorate a xmas tree with that. god help. i just shook my head. pathetic does not even begin to describe it.

My mom is from a little town in the outskirts of Santiago, my dad from La Romana and I was born and raised in Santo Domingo... and I have never heard of anyone doing that.

May 29, 2006
I think the key word is "exclusively" in the first six months. Milk production takes a lot of calories, typically a third of a woman's caloric intake while nursing and they have to eat more and better quality food to produce it. There is a vanity side to this and a nutrition side. Another issue is whether public breastfeeding is universally acceptable, a problem in the US as well.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The girl across the street from me just turned 15 four mos.ago and she must be bout 6 mos. pregnant , her mother is already taking care of five kids and a husband .

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
AND it's birth control!

yeah but be really careful with that one..

Using breastfeeding as birth control can be effective for six months after delivery only if a woman

does not substitute other foods for a breast milk meal
feeds her baby at least every four hours during the day and every six hours at night
has not had a period since she delivered her baby

Breastfeeding as a Form of Birth Control

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
because free has no value. someone mentioned this before but there is a tradition in DR to save all cans of the milk the baby had so that on the first birthday you can take a picture of the kid with all the cans in the background to show how much money you spent. i spoke to my SIL about that and she says that her friend from the university does that, with all 3 or 4 of her kids. well educated, rich and still a dumbf**k. SIL is keeping the lids of the milk cans. she says she will decorate a xmas tree with that. god help. i just shook my head. pathetic does not even begin to describe it.

Wow.. I was the one who posted that. Heard if from a Peace Corps worker down in Pedernales. Down there they keep all the CANS and line them up behind the baby for a portrait so that they can show the baby that DADDY loved them because it was the Father who sent the money for formula. Which is amazingly pricey. As are the disposable diapers. Not that is is easy to get cloth diapers clean in cold water but between the two of those things .. well.. I think you will consume a hundred bucks a month.

But I am astonished to hear that the RICH are doing that. That is amazing.

I assume that most of the women here do not breast feed because they simply do not want to lose their figures.

And many have to work. And clearly La Leche league has not caught on with the educated upper crust.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, it was you who said that in a thread i started, not even a year ago (it must be a recurring theme in DR). i have never heard of that tradition at the time. until the baby arrived in the family and i actually took enough interest to ask about it...

talking about pampers, cloth nappies are expensive too. i was looking for them all over POP some time ago and finally found a store selling them. only in a packets of 6, priced at over 300 pesos. whaaaaa?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I had never heard of a local woman saying she won't breastfeed just because her breasts will sag. Most Dominican women tend to be more concerned with the butt than with the boobs. Anyway, everyone I know has breastfeed. My sister did, my comadre did, my neighbors did. But the issue is that breastmilk, alone, is not seen as enough. It seems that mothers don't feel that they are giving the baby enough nutrition. Plus, doctors also recommend the formula.

There was a tv campaign looong time ago called "solo el seno", explaining moms that the breastmilk was enough for six months. That should make a comback!

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
I have yet to meet someone who doesn't lactate because they are afraid to lose their figure, I know of only one person who didn't lactate, and it was because she couldn't. In most baby showers, there's always an electric pump in the gift list which is understandable with the 3 month maternal leave we get here.

May 29, 2006
Most baby formulas are terrible from a nutrition standpoint. Basically a milkshake in a can. But that's another thread...