Re Water Situation In Sosua

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm just expressing my "joie de vive" and my sense of eternal optimism before becoming as jaded and pessimistic as the lot of you who seem to prefer to stamp out any hope of actually enjoying life in the DR and the belief that things can and will someday get better.

To each their own. I have always preferred to be part of the solution and to spread the wealth around to those truly in need. Maybe that's why I'm seen by some as a fool. Thus far it's a philosophy that has worked for me and until I determine otherwise, I choose not to see something as hopeless until it actually is.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Schhhhhhhh, not too loud as we do not want all those rich buyers who are lined up for the Hispaniola hi priced beach condo development that they may not have water after paying 300k for a little condo.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Schhhhhhhh, not too loud as we do not want all those rich buyers who are lined up for the Hispaniola hi priced beach condo development that they may not have water after paying 300k for a little condo.

They have a nice 50 yard water fountain bubbling away out front of Hispaniola Beach....the people that live across the street have no water.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In Cabarete, there is a fixed fee per month set by CORAAPLATA. Many do not pay anything and they don't get cut off. It hasn't been an issue until recently when no real rain has fallen over the past months.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Lobo, I was suggesting that the local or provincial government might consider this as an avenue of recourse. I was not suggesting it as an individual solution, but yes having your own well would ensure you have water. Since water is the #1 necessity of life I would expect that to be a priority over a jeepetta or a tankard of grog. As for the impoverished locals, how much could a couple of communal wells cost. Surely a small town or local community could raise sufficient pesos for a standby well or two.

Throwing up your arms and proclaiming the situation unacceptable but taking no direction action to resolve it will never accomplish anything.

I am sure that if approached, some of us "rich gringos" would consider donating to a local water project if the planning and goals were sound. We after all, benefit from the improvement of our own communities.

You can drop the sarcasm anytime.

I've never had water shortages because the condos I live in have their own wells, pumps and a diesel back up generator, consequently no electricity outages either.
I am however not expecting help from the municipal government or that of the Republic for my Dominican family. Being positive is good but you may become jaded after living here for a while.
God helps those who help themselves.
I'll be watching for your local water project (sarcastic once again):classic:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Self-Sufficiency vs. Mickey-Mouse Infrastructure

(...) before becoming as jaded and pessimistic as the lot of you who seem to prefer to stamp out any hope of actually enjoying life in the DR and the belief that things can and will someday get better.

I (in fact our whole family) enjoy life here.
We have a well (drinking water quality), 24/7 power (from solar panels) and other amenities... :bunny:
Of course, when coming here we knew that we'd have to establish our own infrastructure for that standard.

There was no hope then that the local infrastructure would meet our needs.
Now, 19 years later, the situation is still the same... :bored:

Belief and hope?
That is something for others, not me. Not here, anyway. :sleep:

donP

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
It would be intresting to know "how" dr1'ers pay their water.......

I don't live on the NC but unfortunately for me, my water is a fixed price per month, I paid for a meter and don't have one. My bill just went from $916 to $956 this past month. I won't be surprised if it goes up again. I'm the only one in my building who pays that amount, everyone else pays about $456-$516 for their fixed monthly price, I attribute it to my gringo name.

I'm also in Santiago which makes a big difference.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Cdn-Gringo, Lobo Tropical ET Al,

You are all missing an important point : it is called RAINFALL!

This year has been particularly dry - at least from our measurements on the North Coast - it is 30% down on the 6 year average rainfall to date and alst year was only an "average year"
To dat we haveo nly had 41 inches of rain against a 6 year average of

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I don't live on the NC but unfortunately for me, my water is a fixed price per month, I paid for a meter and don't have one. My bill just went from $916 to $956 this past month. I won't be surprised if it goes up again. I'm the only one in my building who pays that amount, everyone else pays about $456-$516 for their fixed monthly price, I attribute it to my gringo name.

I'm also in Santiago which makes a big difference.

Goodness gracious!! Nearly a 1000 pesos for water...... I am hurting for u......

malko

Jan 12, 2013
We pay the truck 400 pesos for filling our roof tanks known as tinacos. That is for about 300 gallons of water. It lasts approximately 4 weeks or a bit less. This is uphill from the water tank in Puerto Plata.
Der Fish

300 gallons a day or a month??

malko

Jan 12, 2013
3.5 to 5 gallons a toilet flush.
A 10 min shower, anything between 25 and 50 gallons.....

Doesnt leave a lot of water for washing the floor, car, watering garden......

I think someone is pulling my leg.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Weather patterns tend to be cyclical. If it is dry this year it may well be dry next year too. Then it will be wet for awhile and then dry again.

This water situation will occur again. Who addresses it is a matter for the locals to determine. If my neighbour needs a glass of water I'll give him one. If he needs water every 20 minutes, I'd probably dig him a well so he would stop bothering me all the time. All his neighbours can then go to him for water and I'd be left alone to complete my beer cap collage uninterrupted.

I'm just saying there is water in the ground. It doesn't cost exorbitant amounts of money to dig pozos in the DR (as far as I know) because the aquifer is relatively close to the surface in a lot of places. From my blissfully uneducated perspective it seems like community wells could be a cost effective back up for times when the taps don't work. At the very least the number of tires burning in the streets should be less. Or maybe not. I'm just postulating.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Plus 800/ month maintenance fees... Gotta love paying big money for a property and then paying rent. I'd love to know how these rich guys pull it off.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Gringo Well Digger

(...) If my neighbour needs a glass of water I'll give him one. If he needs water every 20 minutes, I'd probably dig him a well so he would stop bothering me all the time.(...)

That's good.
People here are asking me when you will come... :laugh:

donP

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Don't count me in... because of the IF...

I live near a village where as soon as a communal water faucet is installed, it is gone the next morning.
Whenever there is water, the village people waste it como loco.
Whenever there is no water, they blame the government.
Of course, nobody pays for the water.

Wherever a gringo drills a well, INAPA is quick to charge for 'their 'water.

donP

You're absolutely right about people especially in the barrios wasting water donP. I've seen it on numerous occasions. However, the Government has every right to charge and regulate the removal of water from the countries aquifer including wells. Every other country and Island in the Caribbean does the same thing. In TCI, they even call it an "unertakers permit".

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I (in fact our whole family) enjoy life here.
We have a well (drinking water quality), 24/7 power (from solar panels) and other amenities... :bunny:
Of course, when coming here we knew that we'd have to establish our own infrastructure for that standard.

There was no hope then that the local infrastructure would meet our needs.
Now, 19 years later, the situation is still the same... :bored:

Belief and hope?
That is something for others, not me. Not here, anyway. :sleep:

donP

This is the ticket.. I've been asked so many times why not get off the boat. The answer is always the same. We have all modern conveniences in a mobile home so to speak, and we're totally self sufficient. The only way to live on any island in the Caribbean is to be self sufficient.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Est? bien...

(...) However, the Government has every right to charge and regulate the removal of water from the countries aquifer including wells.

I have nothing against that and thus will not burn any tyres in the streets.... ;)

donP