Re Water Situation In Sosua

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I don't live on the NC but unfortunately for me, my water is a fixed price per month, I paid for a meter and don't have one. My bill just went from $916 to $956 this past month. I won't be surprised if it goes up again. I'm the only one in my building who pays that amount, everyone else pays about $456-$516 for their fixed monthly price, I attribute it to my gringo name.

I'm also in Santiago which makes a big difference.

Don't feel bad, - I pay 1,146 in the same situation (Corasan are too lazy to install a meter so they charge the maximum for now). Call them up and demand to install the meter, they'll give you a case # and if you keep the pressure, they'll install a meter. My bill does include $250 for garbage disposal though.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
3.5 to 5 gallons a toilet flush.
A 10 min shower, anything between 25 and 50 gallons.....

Doesnt leave a lot of water for washing the floor, car, watering garden......

I think someone is pulling my leg.

maybe not. We have two 75 gallon fresh water tanks on the boat. We do use salt water to flush toilets, but we go about two weeks before running the watermaker. We also catch rain when available.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we pay fixed price of 477 pesos a month for water. never had any issues with deliveries. but our cistern is huge so even if the water does not arrive for few weeks it makes no difference to us. no idea about actual usage but we are careful with water. still, there is only two of us so we use considerably less than a larger family.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I'm just saying there is water in the ground. It doesn't cost exorbitant amounts of money to dig pozos in the DR (as far as I know) because the aquifer is relatively close to the surface in a lot of places. From my blissfully uneducated perspective it seems like community wells could be a cost effective back up for times when the taps don't work. At the very least the number of tires burning in the streets should be less. Or maybe not. I'm just postulating.

You are right a community well for the poor would be the answer.
It's done in many other parts of the world.
The problem however is organizing a group of Dominicans for a project and the funding.
Dominicans help in the family unit.
Dominicans are not good at organizing their communities. Government leadership is sorely missing, the desire tobuild a better country for all with real actions.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm going to be pretty overwhelmed adjusting myself really soon. We'll see how it goes and I'll keep the though on the back burner should an opportunity present itself in the future. At some point when there is the will, there will be a way.

You seem like a pretty reasonable and decent chap when you're not making fun of people. What is it with this island that seems to produce some really morose individuals. Is it really that bad for some expats who you would think must have it much easier than the locals? I'm not including you in that group btw, I'm just curious.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
My girlfriend lives in La Union....she has not had a drop out her tap for 5 days now. They truck in water and have to carry it up 3 floors to a 55 gallon plastic barrel she has in the bathroom. Needless to say, when she comes over to my place with a couple of kids in tow....they are a bit ripe. La Union in normal times is hot and dusty....add dry to that.....you get the picture.

I am on a well system....they can shower until they are squeaky clean!!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
You are right a community well for the poor would be the answer.

In cangrejo, on the south side, the problem was not the lack of water, rather that every couple of houses had a tap which they could close in case of leaks, and they would close the taps to stop people further down the road getting any water. there would be no water in one house, and fifty metres up the road someone else would be washing their cars and the water running down the street. Also, many houses don't have tinacos, they just run the water into a 55 gallon drum, so they have no water storage facilities. thus, as previously mentioned, they would leave the taps open, so that when the water came back on, they could fill up the tanks, but sometimes they would just overflow and be wasteful. I had a 1200 gallon cistern which i paid about 600 pesos to fill, and would last about three weeks for a family of four and a few cousins etc

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I'm going to be pretty overwhelmed adjusting myself really soon. We'll see how it goes and I'll keep the though on the back burner should an opportunity present itself in the future. At some point when there is the will, there will be a way.

You seem like a pretty reasonable and decent chap when you're not making fun of people. What is it with this island that seems to produce some really morose individuals. Is it really that bad for some expats who you would think must have it much easier than the locals? I'm not including you in that group btw, I'm just curious.
Ken's thread is about Dominican residents of the surrounding areas.
The ones most affected are the poor residents. No worries about gringos which usually can take care of themselves financially.
In some areas Montellano/Pancho Mateo there is no running water and the poor living on a solar don't have tinacos. They use 55 gallon plastic barrels, water is trucked in. Drinking water is purchased separately.

Also see post #50

Last edited:

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
Any updates on the water situation in the Sosua area. I hear there has been no rain for some time. Does the shortage affect businesses and condo owners and hotels or mostly the locals that don't have money to pay for alternatives.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
There is much more important things in Sosua than water and sewer.
Keeping chicas out of sight is a #1 priorty.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Bronzeallspice posted this in the 2014 Hurricane Season thread. http://dr1.com/forums/weather-beyond/143439-2014-hurricane-season-3.html
Worth repeating here

Relentless drought means water rationing

Santo Domingo.- If the current drought parching the country continues, the water supply already in crisis will get even more severe for Greater Santo Domingo’s population.

The dire warning came Wed. from Santo Domingo Water Utility (Caasd) director Alejandro Montas, who called worrisome the situation of the major dams that supply water, since they operate at just 3 and 11 per cent of their capacity.

He said if the situation continues, the Utility will have to readjust the distribution of piped water, reducing the number of days and hours for service in all sectors of the National District and Santo Domingo province.

Montas said his agency spends RD$234,000 daily to rent tank trucks to distribute to people and sectors that request it, free of charge.

He said all water deliveries will be monitored "tank by tank, bucket by bucket, and gallon by gallon in the most affected areas," as well as the filling of the trucks to public hospitals, prisons, schools, law enforcement agencies and households that can store water.

Dams and Aqueducts Agency (Indrhi) director Olgo Fern?ndez said despite reduced levels, conditions

in some dams could improve in the coming days with the RAINS FORECASTED OVER SEVERAL REGIONS.

fingers crossed.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...ater-rationing

Thanks Bronzeallspice !

Olly

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That "Free Water" story is just "BULL$HIT"!
Doesn't happen.
AND, IF a truck does arrive , you PAY!
Nothing is FREE in the DR!
I pay 1,200 for a truck to fill my cistern.
Welcome to "PARADISE",.............LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
You say people can buy water, but where is it coming from and the supply must get low and price get higher as the situation gets worse. Does this happen every summer?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Harleyssuck???
Must be chinese change one piece and call it a new product.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
you must start with people paying for the water they use. Only then will you have stoppage of wasted water, and the funds to upgrade and maintain a water supply system. Same with electricity, you will never solve the problem until everybody starts 'paying their fair share.'

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Free Water & electricity, are the Dominican equivalent to the USA's "Electronic Benefits Cards, Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Section 8 housing!!!!!
People will NEVER be forced to pay for either!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC