In Search of the Bright Side - Have You Seen it?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Valid point, Bronxboy.

I'm typically here in July/August and the heat/humidity definitely shortens my fuse.

RHM

oh no.. that is all wrong. That is the worst time to visit here and the worst time to leave MA! Really, you should come here in Feb March April which are pretty dismal up there and glorious here.. high pressure Caribbean weather which we really have for about 7 or 8 months of the year. Switch that around immediately. Go South in Winter, North in Summer. not the other way around.

The other thing is to NOT drive unless it is to get out of the city and go to the beach. Never drive in the City. Take taxis only. Air conditioned taxis. (although I do not know where your wife's family lives.. might be in the campo)

The other thing that might make you see things differently is to look at the real estate prices. That is one of the things that always keeps me here. Sometimes I get a bug to go back to the States and I go on Realtor. com.. and look at prices.. and then at Supercasas.. and settle right back in.

And then the Novocentro opened up the Art Cine so I am pretty happy.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
oh no.. that is all wrong. That is the worst time to visit here and the worst time to leave MA! Really, you should come here in Feb March April which are pretty dismal up there and glorious here.. high pressure Caribbean weather which we really have for about 7 or 8 months of the year. Switch that around immediately. Go South in Winter, North in Summer. not the other way around.

The other thing is to NOT drive unless it is to get out of the city and go to the beach. Never drive in the City. Take taxis only. Air conditioned taxis. (although I do not know where your wife's family lives.. might be in the campo)

The other thing that might make you see things differently is to look at the real estate prices. That is one of the things that always keeps me here. Sometimes I get a bug to go back to the States and I go on Realtor. com.. and look at prices.. and then at Supercasas.. and settle right back in.

And then the Novocentro opened up the Art Cine so I am pretty happy.

Come in the winter to avoid the hottest months? Gee, I never thought of that. :roll eyes: I have professional responsibilities that limit my vacation time to the summer months.

I know how to get around the island and I own a home and property in Massachusetts already and am quite happy with it. The dollar goes further here in the DR but I wouldn't put a nickel into real estate here. Too unstable, too many unknown factors, and an unpredictable/unreliable legal system you never want to put your faith in. No thanks. But I respect your decision and am happy that you are happy.

Anything to add on my question, Annie? You've been around for a while - can you point to any progress?

RHM

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Lots of new schools opened under current President Danilo's regime (see today's DR1 news). Will it improve the awful standard of education here? We'll see in twenty years.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Where I see most improvements is in the private sector. Companies that offer products and services have become more professional and offer more options, better quality.

I'm now in Europe almost going back after my summer vacation / family visit. Actually looking forward to get back (can't believe this, but it might have to do more to do with being tired of being a 'visitor' and needing to get back to work). My oldest son (8) is very sure he wants to never go back to DR and the other two are saying the want to stay in Holanda. My wife and I came to the conclusion these weeks our place for now is in DR, unless it becomes impossible, but today she tells me: "I realized today I could live here again".

We'll probably never really feel 'home' as a family either in DR or Europe.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Where I see most improvements is in the private sector. Companies that offer products and services have become more professional and offer more options, better quality.

I'm now in Europe almost going back after my summer vacation / family visit. Actually looking forward to get back (can't believe this, but it might have to do more to do with being tired of being a 'visitor' and needing to get back to work). My oldest son (8) is very sure he wants to never go back to DR and the other two are saying the want to stay in Holanda. My wife and I came to the conclusion these weeks our place for now is in DR, unless it becomes impossible, but today she tells me: "I realized today I could live here again".

We'll probably never really feel 'home' as a family either in DR or Europe.

Your kids have lived in the DR and don't want to go back, listen to them ;)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Get out of that polluted, traffic congested, Dante's Inferno of a city (Santo Domingo), and do this trip up in the mountains...i guarantee it will change your whole perspective of this island:

[video=youtube_share;h2W9kXuLALM]http://youtu.be/h2W9kXuLALM?list=UUwqGtCbKPC0n50nraMPtNCA[/video]

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Get out of that polluted, traffic congested, Dante's Inferno of a city (Santo Domingo), and do this trip up in the mountains...i guarantee it will change your whole perspective of this island:

Wife's family has a house in Constanza...it's a standard part of the annual trip.

RHM

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Wife's family has a house in Constanza...it's a standard part of the annual trip.

RHM

That's great, but there ain't no part of this adventure in this video that involves Constanza. I simply launched my 7 hour trip into the Heart of Darkness from there.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here's another trip that you can do by 2 hours of hiking under a canopy of trees and caves and through remote jungle that leads to one of--if not thee most beautiful--beaches on this island: Playa Fronton:

[video=youtube_share;E5Fb4yeNuuo]http://youtu.be/E5Fb4yeNuuo[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There is so much to do on this crazy, but beautiful island that it would take you half your life just to see a small percentage of it. Here are a few suggestions that are amazing:

1. Climb Pico Duarte.
2. Take a motorcycle adventure trip down the south or north coast with Motocaribe tours.
3. Drive down the Haitain border from Pedernales to Monte Cristi, or vice versa.
4. Hike some of the mountain trails up in the mountains from Valle Nuevo to Sabana Largo.
5. Hike to Playa Fronton--over a 100ft cliff if you are in good shape, or come in from Boca de Diablo if you're in moderate shape. Or take a boat ride there from Las Galeras if you're in no kind of shape.
6. Visit Alto de Chavon inside Casa de Campo and spend a night at the Casa de Campo hotel.
7. Take a boat ride to Bahia de las Aguilas.

The list of things to do on this island is endless, really. But no one seems to want to get off of their lazy azzes because they have so much fear in them. Fear rules their lives. Fear of traveling around this fantastic island keeps them home, or to a few select places where they feel comfortable.

It's sad.

Frank

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Get out of that polluted, traffic congested, Dante's Inferno of a city (Santo Domingo), and do this trip up in the mountains...i guarantee it will change your whole perspective of this island

I appreciate the tips. Honestly, I do. And I agree that there are some absolutely beautiful spots here. But I covered much of the island during the six years I lived here so my perspective was not formed by a few quick trips to the Capital. I was just hoping to hear some perspectives on progress because International Development is one of my areas of interest. Instead, I'm being given tips like "take air conditioned taxis." :)

Have a great day.

RHM

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
There is so much to do on this crazy, but beautiful island that it would take you half your life just to see a small percentage of it. Here are a few suggestions that are amazing:

1. Climb Pico Duarte.

Done it.

2. Take a motorcycle adventure trip down the south or north coast with Motocaribe tours.

Robert (Cobraboy) might be too tempted to cut my break line. ;)

3. Drive down the Haitain border from Pedernales to Monte Cristi, or vice versa.

Been all over the Haitian border.

4. Hike some of the mountain trails up in the mountains from Valle Nuevo to Sabana Largo.

Hiked a bunch on this island and other interesting spots as an infantryman (i.e. lost interest in hiking and camping once I stopped getting paid to do it. :)

5. Hike to Playa Fronton--over a 100ft cliff if you are in good shape, or come in from Boca de Diablo if you're in moderate shape. Or take a boat ride there from Las Galeras if you're in no kind of shape.

I'll put this on my bucket list.

6. Visit Alto de Chavon inside Casa de Campo and spend a night at the Casa de Campo hotel.

Go there every year...wife's family has a house in Case de Campo...will be there next week.

7. Take a boat ride to Bahia de las Aguilas.

Done it and camped on the beach.

Let me reframe the question, Frank. These are all cool things to do. Has it gotten easier to do them since you've been here or has it become more difficult or has there been little change? Thanks.

RHM

Last edited:

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
If you are unhappy here and are looking for something this island cannot provide, as in new technology and infrastructure, then you may need to find your happy place elsewhere. For my husband and I this is it, but then we wanted to be away from the technological rat race. I do work so don't think that is a day on the beach or with the expats in the bars......I work with children, tutoring and I have found the smiles of the children and families bring me all I need.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
read my post (# 16). i list quite a lot of positive changes. i forgot to add plan de albabetizacion to that list.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, damn, you've done a lot. Well, then, here is my last suggestion. Prostitution is legal on this island. A lot of people don't know this. I sometime get Missionaries sloppy drunk here at the bar where i work, and then lead them down to a local brothel. My suggestion to you--provided you are single or have permission--is take a three day sojourn and camp out at a high-end brothel (you sound like you have money) and just lounge around for two or three days with a good book and a girl just let the stress just ease out of your extremities.

I went to medical school. Unfortunately, i dropped out, but not before i learned about stress reduction. Find the nice brothel, make a reservation, tell them the type of taste you have so that they can better cater to your needs. Take your toothbrush, a couple changes of clothes (bring white linen), a bathing suit, and some good books to read. Does wonders for your soul.

Actually, I got more medical recommendations. How old are you? What kind of shape are you in?

Frank

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
If you are unhappy here and are looking for something this island cannot provide, as in new technology and infrastructure, then you may need to find your happy place elsewhere. For my husband and I this is it, but then we wanted to be away from the technological rat race. I do work so don't think that is a day on the beach or with the expats in the bars......I work with children, tutoring and I have found the smiles of the children and families bring me all I need.

Your post drips with self-righteousness. Glad you're happy but was the swing at other expats necessary or relevant?

And my own personal search for happiness has little to do with the actual question. Just trying to get some perspectives on development. If you have anything to add please do. If not, I'll be waiting to hear about your Nobel Peace Prize.

RHM

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Ok, damn, you've done a lot. Well, then, here is my last suggestion. Prostitution is legal on this island. A lot of people don't know this. I sometime get Missionaries sloppy drunk here at the bar where i work, and then lead them down to a local brothel. My suggestion to you--provided you are single or have permission--is take a three day sojourn and camp out at a high-end brothel (you sound like you have money) and just lounge around for two or three days with a good book and a girl just let the stress just ease out of your extremities.

I went to medical school. Unfortunately, i dropped out, but not before i learned about stress reduction. Find the nice brothel, make a reservation, tell them the type of taste you have so that they can better cater to your needs. Take your toothbrush, a couple changes of clothes (bring white linen), a bathing suit, and some good books to read. Does wonders for your soul.

Actually, I got more medical recommendations. How old are you? What kind of shape are you in?

Frank

Wow. That went south quickly. :) Thanks for the advice, Frank. But I'm all set.

RHM