In Search of the Bright Side - Have You Seen it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I read your post and believe I gave it the old "Like." Thanks very much.

i kinda strayed from the good, right?

i understand your dilemma. i feel happy whenever i travel to europe, regardless of the time of the year. coming back to DR always sucks. reminds me when i first came here. i imagined DR as a lush, tropical paradise with lots of wild flowers. what i saw was trash lining the road from the airport. it was hate at first sight. and my emotions towards DR only went down the hill from then on.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Did someone mention the women? Truth be known, that's about it....Searching for the illusive silver lining in the DR is futile , IMHO.
Take the women out of the DR any you will never see me again....I swear.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
RHM... Behold!

I guess it all depends on how you define progress and what part of the social sector is answering.

More malls
More traffic
More people
More pollution, both air and noise
More expensive
More eating, shopping, transport and entertainment options
Better phone service, banking options etc
Same electricity and crime issues
Same great beer (Presidente)

Just about more of everything except common sense ;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Why doesn't happiness have to do with the question? What other meaning would you put on "the bright side?"
Der Fish

I was responding to someone else's post that started off pontificating about MY personal quest for happiness...which this ain't. I am quite content, thanks.

The question was all about development. I've already explained and clarified that several times and I think this thread has run its course. Thanks to those who pitched in their two pesos.

RHM

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
RHM... Behold!

I guess it all depends on how you define progress and what part of the social sector is answering.

More malls
More traffic
More people
More pollution, both air and noise
More expensive
More eating, shopping, transport and entertainment options
Better phone service, banking options etc
Same electricity and crime issues
Same great beer (Presidente)

Just about more of everything except common sense ;)

Fewer Brits by at least one, right? :)

RHM

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Randall, with all due respect you were once pretty aplatanado so if you expect informative responses other than "they paved my road" or "there is a new La Sirena" you are kidding yourself. The best bet is to talk to your Dominican relatives. :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
i kinda strayed from the good, right?

I understand your dilemma. I feel happy whenever i travel to europe, regardless of the time of the year. Coming back to dr always sucks. Reminds me when i first came here. I imagined dr as a lush, tropical paradise with lots of wild flowers. What i saw was trash lining the road from the airport. it was hate at first sight. And my emotions towards dr only went down the hill from then on.

lol!!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
There is so much to do on this crazy, but beautiful island that it would take you half your life just to see a small percentage of it. Here are a few suggestions that are amazing:

1. Climb Pico Duarte.
2. Take a motorcycle adventure trip down the south or north coast with Motocaribe tours.
3. Drive down the Haitain border from Pedernales to Monte Cristi, or vice versa.
4. Hike some of the mountain trails up in the mountains from Valle Nuevo to Sabana Largo.
5. Hike to Playa Fronton--over a 100ft cliff if you are in good shape, or come in from Boca de Diablo if you're in moderate shape. Or take a boat ride there from Las Galeras if you're in no kind of shape.
6. Visit Alto de Chavon inside Casa de Campo and spend a night at the Casa de Campo hotel.
7. Take a boat ride to Bahia de las Aguilas.

The list of things to do on this island is endless, really. But no one seems to want to get off of their lazy azzes because they have so much fear in them. Fear rules their lives. Fear of traveling around this fantastic island keeps them home, or to a few select places where they feel comfortable.

It's sad.

Frank

I guess I'm done then :)

Or can one repeat?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Could never live in the DR (as things stand now)

But am enjoying my annual visits immensely up on the campo of the NC (Gaspar Hernandez) in December/January.

I try to do me, I send my wife and kids up for 2 months - they can do all the family stuff. I go 1 month, do 1 big beach party where everyone is invited, do X-mas and NY and that's it. No more family obligations.

What I've seen:

1. Increase in population
2. Better infrastructure in terms of roads
3. More and better supermarkets
4. Better hotels/food
5. More crime/drugs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR, Soooooooooooooooooooooooo many "Chicas" and time to "MEAT" them, and, they keep making MORE!!!!!!
I can tolerate the "BULL$HIT"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC