Truck water vs colmado water...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Here we go again.

A simple conversation on WATER safety is quickly turned into an indictment of an entire country. The more things change..."A lawless society" with which strangely the poster appears to be voluntarily affiliated for years.

ooops...Something tells me *I* am at fault, for pointing out that a water thread shouldn't be turned into an insulting indictment of an entire country. My apologies.

This country is guilty of providing non potable drinking water from its taps. Its like having a glass of bacteria. You can not build up an immunity. Puerto Rico ( because of the U.S clean water act) and Aruba are the only Caribbean islands I know off where you can safely drink tap water. I don't brush my teeth with the stuff here.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
This country is guilty of providing non potable drinking water from its taps. Its like having a glass of bacteria. You can not build up an immunity. Puerto Rico ( because of the U.S clean water act) and Aruba are the only Caribbean islands I know off where you can safely drink tap water. I don't brush my teeth with the stuff here.

Actually, the water that comes out of MAJOR urban water supply systems (like CAASD in SD) does go through a water treatment plant similar to those found in most other places.
The technology to design a drinking water treatment plant is old and relatively simple. It also almost always involves some filtration (to remove dirt, etc) plus disinfection (often with some form of chlorine).

Yes, it's about the same the world over.

One peculiarity of the DR (respect to more developed countries) is the frequent usage of home water deposits ("cisternas") where conceivably water may be contaminated. However, the chlorine statys with the water throughout and may kill harmful microorganisms that enter the water after treatment.

The real problems are caused not by tap water (that comes from major water supply systems) but by water that is obtained or acquired from other sources (wells, streams, etc) which may not be treated appropriately or at all.

figure_watertreatmentcycle.gif

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Tap water here is unsafe to drink (unhealthy) it can and does make people sick. Water is filtered and treated with chlorine and chloramine in western countries . In the D.R if you drink from ANY local pipes you will get it sooner than later.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Tap water here is unsafe to drink (unhealthy) it can and does make people sick. Water is filtered and treated with chlorine and chloramine in western countries . In the D.R if you drink from ANY local pipes you will get it sooner than later.

It's the first thing they tell people on the bus on the way to their hotel.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I brush my teeth with it, but have Listerine handy for immediate use!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Shaking my head.... If the thunder doesn't get you, the lightning will.

I had to convince my household to put bleach into the rinse water for dishes. I have a cast iron constitution when it comes to GI problems, but the water here will do bad things to me.

The more forward looking countries like Nicaragua are investing heavily in public health. I can drink the tap water, but I usually run it through a ceramic unit anyways for luck.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
ooops...Something tells me *I* am at fault, for pointing out that a water thread shouldn't be turned
into an insulting indictment of an entire country. My apologies.

Apology(ies) accepted :cheeky:

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Waterborne disease is a serious matter here. While most healthy adults can fight it off it can put you down for days. Children and the elderly can and do die as a result of contaminated water. They are more likely to attribute the cause to something else. Well water here is also questionable as there is extensive agriculture and farming done in close proximity to residential areas and no health codes or little oversight. All you have to do to look at the effects of tainted water is look at the other side of the island, catastrophic.... So to avoid drinking human and animal urine, fecal matter and worse, make sure your H2o comes with a cap on top

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I?m slightly confused here, as to if the discussion is about trucks selling full botellones, or trucks carrying a large water tank full of drinking water? The latter I have never even seen, we have once or twice purchased full botellones from a truck, and weren?t happy with the quality.

99 % of the time we buy the botellones from a local plant, never issues with quality, 25 pesos per 5 gallon tank. My wife is very strict about the sealing, and with them, we know there are no issues...

Its pretty easy to understand. Buy your drinking water in a colmado.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Puerto Rico ( because of the U.S clean water act) and Aruba are the only Caribbean islands I know off where you can safely drink tap water.

Add to the list Antigua, Barbados, Curacao and Jamaica from my experience. I have always attributed it to them not being Spanish colonies.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
1st man: eh man, this reverse osmosis unit is producing a whole lot more clean drinking water then usual.
2nd man: cool, more pesos in our pockets. We'll sell in all the barrios hoy. We're in the money now.
1st man: no, I think there's a problem.
2nd man: we'll fix it tomorrow. Today we're deep in cervasas and chikas. The jefe will never know we pocketed the extra.
1sr man: yeah man. Ma?ana.

2 months later....

2nd man: wouldn't it be cool if the RO unit broke again.....

2 minutes later....

2nd man: hey, let's just bypass the RO. Nobody will know.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
So, you believe the entire country has a SINGLE water supply system through which all water goes through? Not all tap water is created equal.
Water from major water supply systems like SD goes through a normal water treatment plant as found in any country. This is NOT an opinion. It is a fact.
If you have proof otherwise, show it.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
It's the first thing they tell people on the bus on the way to their hotel.
They are referring to the resort water. Often resorts post a sign indicating that THEIR water is not meant to be drank.

THEIR water.

Most of them have their own water supply system (probably from wells). They know through which process THEIR water goes,
and know whether or not it is recommended for drinking.

I am talking about water from MAJOR water supply systems such as SD. Those do have water treatment plants similar to those found anywhere.,

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

You may be correct however I have been brushing my teeth with it and probably injesting some when showering for the past 3 years without health issues. I know no Dominicans that drink the stuff from the tap.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
So, you believe the entire country has a SINGLE water supply system through which all water goes through? Not all tap water is created equal.
Water from major water supply systems like SD goes through a normal water treatment plant as found in any country. This is NOT an opinion. It is a fact.
If you have proof otherwise, show it.

Your statement supports my post.You believe its safe for you and your family , go ahead. FACT of the matter is, its inconsistent and unsafe. Don't need a water chemist (that is an actually course of study) to tell me that....post # 48

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Virgo, ALL my inlaws live in SD, all over the city. From Las Praderas and El Milion to Ensanche La Paz and Los Minas, gated homes and barrios. None of them drink tap water.

Are you saying you and your family do???

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Even if it is treated as Virgo says, since most have either a Tinaco, or cistern due to the fact that the system does not deliver water 24/7 in a lot of areas.
Those are not treated and cleaned often enough the water would still be contaminated coming from either. Therefore not potable.
Places all over SD that do not receive water through the tap 24/7 so you have to have a backup system.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Virgo, ALL my inlaws live in SD, all over the city. From Las Praderas and El Milion to Ensanche La Paz and Los Minas, gated homes and barrios. None of them drink tap water.

Lots of people in lots of countries -- including developed ones -- prefer bottled water. It is a huge business worldwide. Not because their tap water isn't potable. Flavor is one of the common reasons.
As stated earlier, in SD a big problem is irregular water supply and the use of water storage. Some buildings use untreated water from wells. Others periodically buy water from trucks whose purity is questionable.
Water from CAASD, the public water supply system, is NOT the problem.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Your statement supports my post.You believe its safe for you and your family , go ahead. FACT of the matter is, its inconsistent and unsafe. Don't need a water chemist (that is an actually course of study) to tell me that....post # 48
You can always ask a reputable lab to test the water you are referring to.
There is no countrywide water system. Generally in most places on earth water supply is municipal or cover a relatively small region. Same in the DR. All depends on WHICH water you are talking about.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk