New carry-on restrictions

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Seems that DR airport vendors are in cahoots with airports for more boutique biusiness.

I can't find any TSA directive and don't expect to. You can't take those items in a carry-on, but you can IF you buy them after going through security.

From AE's link:

I call shenanigans...

Its such an Obvious Straight up SCAM... they are not making enough Sales at the Gift shops selling their overpriced Krap , So this is the STIMULUS package they gave themselves ..

Some may not yet be grasping how serious this is .. this means like Zero personal products , from the time you enter through security , til you land, unless you BUY it at their ridiculous prices . Does this also include even like like Ibuprofin, and sinus Meds ?

What is thing going to do to the security check LINES ? People are not going to take this type confiscation lying down, without an argument .. this is the nuttiest thing I have seen in a Long time in terms of Air travel. I could totally understand NO more FAT oversize "carry ons" , One small personal item bag per person only ..that would actually make sense.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Once through security, passengers may purchase these items and bring on the aircraft.

I am trying to think which of those items does a person really need while in flight?

One thing for sure I wouldn't want the job of being the person to start confiscating these items. I remember way back when TSA first put into effect the liquid ban and they were confiscating expensive bottles of liquor and perfumes. Riots darn near broke out at some airports.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
about 10 months ago Delta airlines changed their total luggage amount...in first class from 3 of 70 pounds each, to one of 50 lbs, with no chance of paying for more this change was for only a handful of locations...the DR was one of those.......

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think it isn't going to be enforced - just a quick bonehead idea. Plenty of those changing daily regarding luggage requirements

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Two time in the past 5 years, I have had my cologne stolen from my checked luggage when leaving the DR.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Since when is a travel agent the law?

Apparently there are new carry-on restrictions, when leaving DR.

http://ta.travelagentcafe.com/wp-co...a&utm_content=20180727&utm_term=ta_newsletter

This "travel agent cafe" is a travel agent. That should have been the first and only clue about how to respond to this/there article.

Has anyone seen and can provide the law from the official and authorized Dominican Republic department that states these changes and effective dates and has back up proof?

Have flown out of and back from POP 4 times in the last month. Came back today. Nothing said. Nothing seen. Nothing posted. Nothing handed out.
Have 4 + more flights booked out and back of the D.R. this year and no notice from anyone in anyway.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Sep 4, 2012
This "travel agent cafe" is a travel agent. That should have been the first and only clue about how to respond to this/there article.

Has anyone seen and can provide the law from the official and authorized Dominican Republic department that states these changes and effective dates and has back up proof?

Have flown out of and back from POP 4 times in the last month. Came back today. Nothing said. Nothing seen. Nothing posted. Nothing handed out.
Have 4 + more flights booked out and back of the D.R. this year and no notice from anyone in anyway.

Exactly the first thought I had. There is nothing official which would validate this pamphlet.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This is another example of don't get your panties in a knot. The last 20 times I have left PUJ I have had either 2 beers or 2 full water bottles in my carry on. Not once was either ever taken or even questioned.
This is just this week's propaganda to see how many gringo heads will explode. Don't let it be yours. There is no way on earth this can be realistically implemented or enforced.

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
This is another example of don't get your panties in a knot. The last 20 times I have left PUJ I have had either 2 beers or 2 full water bottles in my carry on. Not once was either ever taken or even questioned.
This is just this week's propaganda to see how many gringo heads will explode. Don't let it be yours. There is no way on earth this can be realistically implemented or enforced.

Does not seem that it could be... without major pushback from Passengers from all over the word..

and to answer another posters " assumption" ... I DO believe the US TSA regs are pretty much the standard around the world .. in other words.. unless someone can Show us a LINK to prove otherwise ? Yes . i am gonna continue to assume they are accepted WORLDWIDE as the Standard Model ..... Does anyone here know of Security Screening and limitations beyond them (stricter ) Besides perhaps how many Bottles of Duty Free ALCOHOL you can schlep on board
Such Stricter measures are just not needed and would infuriate all Travelers from around the world ..
so yes.. the Dom Govt has NOTHING to do with it , because they Would never get to set the NEW Standard
we would have heard about it on the news if they did
the whole thing is just ridiculous beyond belief ..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember a few years ago, leaving DR, they confiscated several items from my carry on. One was an expensive cuticle nipper. Mr AE was furious with them. (They had 55 gallon drums they were filling). He told them he’d only give them the nippers after he broke them in half so they couldn’t sell them. He pulled them apart, not an easy task, and then handed them over.

I think they target/profile passengers. To say it doesn’t happen is foolish.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they tried to take my friend's nail clippers - his favorite ones

He returned outside to the counter & checked his bag

Was a few years ago....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How many remember when they would put all luggage bound for the USA through a scanning machine at curbside before you even entered the airport?