Is this a terrible year so far for tourism?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Of course they could, and from what I am being told the DGII has this in its sights. The issue is that if you paid the US$ 85 a night for the apartment in the Zona, plus the Propina Legal plus the ITBIS, you would be at $108.80 per night. And for that price you could choose from a wide range of 4 (and probably 5) star hotels right now.

The other point is that in the same way that even the guy who can't work out 5+5 without a calculator still seems able to calculate his Prestaciones if you fire him, everyone who works in a hotel watches out for their 10% and will hot-foot it to the Secretaria if they think they're not getting it. There are odd places you come across which employ Haitians and Venezuelans illegally and don't pay the Propina Legal, but most legit places also pay out the Propina in full.

Are you saying that you believe that the major A-1 resorts are paying their staff the 10% tip on all of their bookings? So what do you think that would amount to - per staff member? Any idea? I had always heard that folks were lucky to make 5-8000 pesos a month working at an A1 (not that that was not considered a reasonable salary in many parts - certainly the security guards at the US Embassy were paid that) .. How are the Propina's distributed?

It is not that the hotels were employing Haitians illegally - I assume that most of the hotels who employ Haitians are using Haitians who have proper cedillas.. It was the construction of the hotels - and in particular the Bahia Portillo - that I was speaking of. Most of the construction that I saw going on in the DR - even in SD - was using Haitians. But things may have changed since I left in 2016.

And - yes - perhaps the $108. would get me one room - but not a two bedroom condo with a living room and kitchen. For us who are budget minded having one's own kitchen saves a lot -- means that one can have some meals in. Dining out in SD was as expensive as in the US (except for some real finds).

The idea of having a "home" - a place with a living room, and two bedrooms, where a family can hang out - is simply not going to be replaced except perhaps in the most expensive high end places.

But -- well - I am still open to hearing about the deals...

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
But there also seem to be fewer guests around, so there is much more supply and much less demand, at least in the capital.
I wonder how DR would respond to this , if at all. Tenerife had the same problems 15 or so years ago ...until they figured out that ...although solo travelers visit more frequently.....families on vacation spend more and tend to return to the same destination ( usually at the same time of year ) ....year in and out . So , they cleaned up the island’s image , rebranded as a family friendly destination...and never looked back since . Demand is usually stready there nowadays.

I wonder if this could ever work for DR?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I wonder how DR would respond to this , if at all. Tenerife had the same problems 15 or so years ago ...until they figured out that ...although solo travelers visit more frequently.....families on vacation spend more and tend to return to the same destination ( usually at the same time of year ) ....year in and out . So , they cleaned up the island’s image , rebranded as a family friendly destination...and never looked back since . Demand is usually stready there nowadays.

I think this is what they are trying to do in Sosua. And cue 800 pages of posts about Sosua and chicas....

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Are you saying that you believe that the major A-1 resorts are paying their staff the 10% tip on all of their bookings? So what do you think that would amount to - per staff member? Any idea? I had always heard that folks were lucky to make 5-8000 pesos a month working at an A1 (not that that was not considered a reasonable salary in many parts - certainly the security guards at the US Embassy were paid that) .. How are the Propina's distributed?

The AI's have to pay 5% as the Propina Legal and yes they do pay it. A receptionist in Bavaro makes about RD$ 25,000 - RD$ 30,000 a month including the Propina Legal with free accommodation. In the capital they make between RD$ 25,000 and RD$ 40,000 including the propina legal - my guys are very experienced and I pay a basic of RD$ 25,000 and a minimum RD$ 10,000 in Propina Legal but often more. I know other hotels that pay a basic of RD$ 18,000 for more junior receptionists and the propina legal of about RD$ 10,000. The ladies who clean get a basic of between RD$ 12,000 and RD$ 15,000 and the propina legal of between RD$ 5,000 and RD$ 10,000, so they make somewhere between RD$ 18,000 and RD$ 25,000.

There is a lot of competition for good staff, especially people who are honest and speak good English. This is particularly so in Bavaro. So if you tried short-changing people, they would vote with their feet pretty quickly.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The AI's have to pay 5% as the Propina Legal and yes they do pay it. A receptionist in Bavaro makes about RD$ 25,000 - RD$ 30,000 a month including the Propina Legal with free accommodation. In the capital they make between RD$ 25,000 and RD$ 40,000 including the propina legal - my guys are very experienced and I pay a basic of RD$ 25,000 and a minimum RD$ 10,000 in Propina Legal but often more. I know other hotels that pay a basic of RD$ 18,000 for more junior receptionists and the propina legal of about RD$ 10,000. The ladies who clean get a basic of between RD$ 12,000 and RD$ 15,000 and the propina legal of between RD$ 5,000 and RD$ 10,000, so they make somewhere between RD$ 18,000 and RD$ 25,000.

There is a lot of competition for good staff, especially people who are honest and speak good English. This is particularly so in Bavaro. So if you tried short-changing people, they would vote with their feet pretty quickly.

Thanks for the info.. Wouldn't the propina legal vary according the occupancy? And why do the A-I s pay only 5%?

So the reports from those dating/hanging out with the waiters/recreation crews making only $5-8k were just fibs? or have the salaries gone up recently. I know the managers salaries have been around that mark but thought the cleaners, gardeners. rec people were much lower.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

This has been the subject of endless comments regarding Sosua (and to some degree Boca Chica) and any attempts to clean it up regarding the world's oldest profession. Those who desire the hookers to remain would not like to hear about successful clean up attempts at other locations in the world. They insist that Sosua's Saviors and their nightly payments keeping the local economy afloat would disappear if and when it is cleaned up.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't see AI's being in competition with Airbnb. People that go to AI's don't want to be bothered with the hassle of of going out and paying for restaurants, sightseeing, etc., and want to be right on the beach. That's their dream. Except for some very expensive villas and condos, Airbnb lodging is not located on the beach.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
This has been the subject of endless comments regarding Sosua (and to some degree Boca Chica) and any attempts to clean it up regarding the world's oldest profession. Those who desire the hookers to remain would not like to hear about successful clean up attempts at other locations in the world. They insist that Sosua's Saviors and their nightly payments keeping the local economy afloat would disappear if and when it is cleaned up.

At least in Boca Chica 80% of all visitors will be gone right away. Nobody in the right mind would travel to today`s Boca Chica with its trashy so called "beach" and urinated "water". Especially after week-ends and holidays. OMG! It is SOMETHING. To be seen.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't see AI's being in competition with Airbnb. People that go to AI's don't want to be bothered with the hassle of of going out and paying for restaurants, sightseeing, etc., and want to be right on the beach. That's their dream. Except for some very expensive villas and condos, Airbnb lodging is not located on the beach.

I agree. AI's are more like cruise ships that don't go anywhere. Airbnb was founded to open up extra lodging in places where hotel rooms were scarce. First was San Francisco, CA.

That said, I am not sure if there is any reason someone offering an "inclusive" experience could not list it on Airbnb.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I agree. AI's are more like cruise ships that don't go anywhere. Airbnb was founded to open up extra lodging in places where hotel rooms were scarce. First was San Francisco, CA.

That said, I am not sure if there is any reason someone offering an "inclusive" experience could not list it on Airbnb.
There would have to be some subliminal wording in the airbnb ad. Like the "inclusive" or "Full" or "complete" service bnb.

Maybe it exists already, just never heard of it.

Just learned about "sacrificial rods" today and i felt stupid.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I don't know how they could do it(?). They would have to offer an unlimited supply of food and drinks. The booze might be doable, but how would they provide the food, and how would they prevent the renters from inviting all their friends to come over to eat and drink for free?

Also, the AI people want to be on the beach. There's only a fairly limited supply of condos and villas on the beach.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
DR must reinvent itself as a destination. Lack of infrastructure in PP and Bavaro, old hotels and service from the last century is the main reason. The world is changing ....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Lack of infrastructure in Bavaro? When was the last time you were there? The main hwy makes most US hwys look poor.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The biggest problem with the AI's is that their model is only really profitable when people don't drink and eat too much. Compared to hotels where you pay for food, I have always found anything AI to be a terrible standard. I employed a chef from one of the good hotels in Bavaro and he said he had been told not to make the food too nice as they wanted to limit what people eat. And the drinks in most are definitely watered down. I've been to Bavaro many many times, sometimes free of charge, and I have never once been impressed.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
At least in Boca Chica 80% of all visitors will be gone right away. Nobody in the right mind would travel to today`s Boca Chica with its trashy so called "beach" and urinated "water". Especially after week-ends and holidays. OMG! It is SOMETHING. To be seen.
Some people have hated on me (not in this forum) for saying that a larger share of Boca Chica’s beach should be devoted to highrise resorts (similar to the Hamaca, but better quality.) A government beautification program in the center of town (everything that is between the highway and the beach) similar to what was done in the Zona Colonial of SD. Controlling the prostitution or at least moving it to an area away from what should become the main mass family friendly tourist area. Improvement of the rest of the beach so that it looks more how it does in front of the Hamaca resort.

I think Boca Chica has much potential, but it will take great efforts to get it there.

Not much can be done with the rest of the town, but the main tourist areas (and the area that is still not developed near the beach) can be spruced up very nicely.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Some people have hated on me (not in this forum) for saying that a larger share of Boca Chica’s beach should be devoted to highrise resorts (similar to the Hamaca, but better quality.) A government beautification program in the center of town (everything that is between the highway and the beach) similar to what was done in the Zona Colonial of SD. Controlling the prostitution or at least moving it to an area away from what should become the main mass family friendly tourist area. Improvement of the rest of the beach so that it looks more how it does in front of the Hamaca resort.

I think Boca Chica has much potential, but it will take great efforts to get it there.

Not much can be done with the rest of the town, but the main tourist areas (and the area that is still not developed near the beach) can be spruced up very nicely.

Everything between the hwy and the beach is big area - lots of small hotels, restaurants, apto buildings, and one residential area is fairly nice - unless you are talking about the road in town that runs in front of the restaurants, bars, and hotels right on the beach(?). I think the game plan has been to drive them all out of business for a long time.

It would be very easy to replentish the beach there if they wanted to. The water in the bay is shallow, slopes off very gradually, and there are no waves.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know how they could do it(?). They would have to offer an unlimited supply of food and drinks. The booze might be doable, but how would they provide the food, and how would they prevent the renters from inviting all their friends to come over to eat and drink for free?

Also, the AI people want to be on the beach. There's only a fairly limited supply of condos and villas on the beach.

In Airbnb, you can list every detail of what is and what is not allowed in the House Rules section. One rule could be that you must have a wrist band to enter the property, just like AI's do. That problem is easy to solve since no other guests, other than those that paid, would be allowed in. And the price is the AI price.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
In Airbnb, you can list every detail of what is and what is not allowed in the House Rules section. One rule could be that you must have a wrist band to enter the property, just like AI's do. That problem is easy to solve since no other guests, other than those that paid, would be allowed in. And the price is the AI price.

Every time I have asked the question of why don't small hotels do All-Inclusive, I have been told it's because you need at least 200 rooms to make it work. Law of averages evidently, you need 400 people to get the proportion who are on a diet and don't drink to balance out the ones who are like whales. There must be a reason that all the AI's are so big when everything else in travel is getting smaller (i.e. planes and AirBnB's).

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

I think it would be far more sensible to spend the money on getting a beach to work in Santo Domingo. Clean up the river and maybe put in a breakwater. It's been talked about so many times and would be a real game-changer for the economy of Santo Domingo.