Airfare deals

B

bigbird

My observations too, although I am lot less flexible than you and tend to travel in HIGH season.

I have had alerts that lasted less than 4 hours.

I set alerts on Kayak and googleflights and I am ready to pull my cc anytime. I don't really see any clear trend with best day to buy, but I would say weekends are almost always more expensive to buy (I have seen drops on Sunday nights though).

I flew into STI and left from SDQ for 298 on Spirit this past february, so I believe you since it was during the kids february break.

I admit, looking for fares is a kinda of a hobby, but it s work................

Exactly, I don't believe there are any set rules to follow for best fare. Best fares this week maybe Tuesday, next week Thursday, following week Wednesday at 1 AM.

You just need to keep looking and as mentioned be prepared to play games. Every person will be different when it comes to buying airline ticket.

Myself flying out of EWR guarantees me non-stop flights to SDQ. I am frequent flyer with United so even if Spirit was $100 bucks less the perks I get with United make up for the extra cost.

The frequent flyer mile points I try to save for summer or Christmas time use when fares are the highest. Even that is tricky because of black out dates.

NOW who is going to be the first to post $59 round trip to PUJ from NYC due to all the bad DR publicity. :)

H

healimonster

cheapest flights from EWR to PUJ I have seen in a while.

R

Riva_31

Agree with you, although I have seen prices not available (DELTA love doing that !!!), but I almost always manage to find another flights or combinations.

Also, I am not going to look for 150 RT to DR, so I have an idea of when I should pull the plug. Multicity are often better deals. In DR, I often piece one/way together, so I could fly in and leave from different airports and/or different airlines, whatever comes the most convenient or cheapest.

Yes, try in all ways possibles, sometimes buying 2 tickets one way also is cheaper than book a return flight using same dates.

A

Africaida

Exactly, I don't believe there are any set rules to follow for best fare. Best fares this week maybe Tuesday, next week Thursday, following week Wednesday at 1 AM.

You just need to keep looking and as mentioned be prepared to play games. Every person will be different when it comes to buying airline ticket.

Myself flying out of EWR guarantees me non-stop flights to SDQ. I am frequent flyer with United so even if Spirit was $100 bucks less the perks I get with United make up for the extra cost.

The frequent flyer mile points I try to save for summer or Christmas time use when fares are the highest. Even that is tricky because of black out dates.

NOW who is going to be the first to post $59 round trip to PUJ from NYC due to all the bad DR publicity. :)

Not sure, but if it happens, I would be in that flight :)

D

Derfish

Usually when you check too many times for a far price tend to go up, and sometimes you see a cheap flight and wne you pick up says price is not avilable or show you higher price..

Borrow your neighbor's computer or clear out cookies and the lower price will come back Found that out 10 years ago.
Derfish

F

frank recktenwald

Looking for a flight from Brussels to Santo Domingo for the fall.
There used to be a flight Brussels-Punta Cana- Santo Domingo but like I said, used to be. :ermm:

A

Africaida

Borrow your neighbor's computer or clear out cookies and the lower price will come back Found that out 10 years ago.
Derfish

The cookies thing is a myth.

Flight go up and down, nothing to do with cookies.

R

Riva_31

There used to be a flight Brussels-Punta Cana- Santo Domingo but like I said, used to be. :ermm:

TUI is now making on Tuesday BRU-SDQ-PUJ-BRU and sunday BRU-SDQ-POP-BRU

B

bigbird

United Airlines - Basic Economy

A few years ago United airlines introduced Basic Economy to their domestic flights. Maybe six months ago they added Basic Economy to the international flights.

Our most restricted fare:

Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No carry-on bag, just a personal item
Upgrades and Economy Plus® are not available
No refunds or changes

Mainly mentioning this so no one confuses this new lower fares a result of the recent bad publicity.

It makes it a little tougher searching for flights now as the basic economy shows as the lowest fare but when you click the flight the price may be $50 higher or even more for standard economy.

I guess you can say United offers the Spirit option.

W

william webster

Exactly what they're doing.... matching & saving $$

I do not like AA... but their deal is better...
moving up a bit gets free drinks, better seat , etc

SDQ to PHL for me from now on...

How far are you Bird from PHL?

B

bigbird

SDQ to PHL for me from now on...

How far are you Bird from PHL?

way too far. my house in Jersey to EWR is a twenty minute ride and $25-$30 Uber fare. I am way too close to EWR to even consider another airport.

D

Derfish

The cookies thing is a myth.

Flight go up and down, nothing to do with cookies.

If you are looking at a flight for a low price and it isn't there in 15 minutes to see a higher price, try clearing cookies which tell the website you were just there and look for the flight again and see if it has anything to do with cookies or not. It helped me several times when flying to and from Panama on a regular basis.
Derfish

T

TropicalPaul

If you can stand the idea of going via London, British Airways has a sale on at the moment until mid July. They have Premium Economy at about £600 which has 40 inches of legroom and economy for £430, both return London > Punta Cana. They fly 3 times a week Gatwick - Punta Cana and are going 4 days a week from January 2020 until March 2020.

L

lifeisgreat

West jet is cheaper when you book early as seats sell price goes up never seen down...I paid two month in advance $560 round trip same flight two weeks before $1025 friend paid

C

chrisgy

JFK To STI

and I guarantee you I can find a ticket for end of THIS month for around $345 or less
Right now they are all over $400 ( correction over $500, and no way i am paying that )
Tonight going into TUESDAY Early AM , is traditionally a good time to buy
2nd best day is SUNDAY evening .

You will usually not find a nonstop flight from JFK to STI for 350 or less in the month of July with Jet Blue.

D

Derfish

West jet is cheaper when you book early as seats sell price goes up never seen down...I paid two month in advance $560 round trip same flight two weeks before $1025 friend paid

Looks like down to me from $1025 down to $560 in two weeks.
Derfish

E

Ecoman1949

Changes are coming to Canada-DR flights and vacation packages. Air Canada has made a bid for Air Transat, basically to kill it and replace it with its Air Rouge fleet. West jet was just sold to a private company. Expect future increases in flight costs. They purchased larger aircraft, 767’s and are interested in European routes.