Might be a bit spooky here....
I drove it quite a bit in PHL and Canada

Sold it when I sold the summer house in Canada last October

C

chico bill

Might be a bit spooky here....
I drove it quite a bit in PHL and Canada

Sold it when I sold the summer house in Canada last October

The new Burgman 650 scooters are really pricey but nice. They have electric elevating windscreens, lumbar support in the driver's back support plus heated grips and seats. It's more like riding in a Mazda Miada

C

Celt202

You need a motersickel.

Nothing like it.

enjoy-the-wind-in-your-hair-even-if-it-means-15767019.png

There tons of things that are off pi$$able.

Then there are mangos and avocados...

Last edited:
C

cobraboy

That’s a decent scooter Bill. You’ve spent a lot of time in the DR. Never had a desire to buy a moto and putter around RSJ?
The perfect scooter for putzing around the DR would be the new Honda X-ADV scooter, a 750cc scooter/ADV bike hybrid.

Not a regular bike. Not a scooter. Light off-road capable. Same motor as the NX750, and with 54hp not a rocket ship, but more a seate but capable scootert cruiser. But a cool feature is Honda's DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) which is sorta kinda semi-automatic.

When my MotoCaribe days are over, I may put one in the stable.

Best of two worlds.

Honda-XADV-1-630x420.jpg

E

Ecoman1949

The new Burgman 650 scooters are really pricey but nice. They have electric elevating windscreens, lumbar support in the driver's back support plus heated grips and seats. It's more like riding in a Mazda Miada

Took a new BMW 650 GT for a test drive last spring. More of a motorcycle than a scooter. Sweet machine. May be the way to go as I get older. Great bike for the DR.

C

chico bill

The perfect scooter for putzing around the DR would be the new Honda X-ADV scooter, a 750cc scooter/ADV bike hybrid.

Not a regular bike. Not a scooter. Light off-road capable. Same motor as the NX750, and with 54hp not a rocket ship, but more a seate but capable scootert cruiser. But a cool feature is Honda's DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) which is sorta kinda semi-automatic.

When my MotoCaribe days are over, I may put one in the stable.

Best of two worlds.

Honda-XADV-1-630x420.jpg
Seat looks hard and uncomfortable?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

C

cobraboy

Seat looks hard and uncomfortable?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
I don't know, but if it's Honda it's prolly been well sorted.

Really something different, an adventure scooter...with 17" front tire.

C

Cdn_Gringo

I'm sure it scoots along just fine but at 750cc I am hard pressed to call it a scooter. Seems to me to be a motorcycle with some scooter features like the step thru seating.

Certainly more power and I suspect more weight than your average DR rider would possibly need. Frank12 might like it for it's ability to quickly navigate sidewalks. Usually the more power, the faster you tend to drive and thus the faster you hit those potholes hidden in the shade from roadside trees or new road washouts. The faster you're going the harder the jolt and the more likely you are to break/bend something or lay it down. On a bike, you really do steer where you are looking. If you're looking at a pothole, the safe money says you're going to hit it.

A well equipped 250cc is all most causal riders really need for cruising safely in this country imo.

C

cobraboy

I'm sure it scoots along just fine but at 750cc I am hard pressed to call it a scooter. Seems to me to be a motorcycle with some scooter features like the step thru seating.

Certainly more power and I suspect more weight than your average DR rider would possibly need. Frank12 might like it for it's ability to quickly navigate sidewalks. Usually the more power, the faster you tend to drive and thus the faster you hit those potholes hidden in the shade from roadside trees or new road washouts. The faster you're going the harder the jolt and the more likely you are to break/bend something or lay it down. On a bike, you really do steer where you are looking. If you're looking at a pothole, the safe money says you're going to hit it.

A well equipped 250cc is all most causal riders really need for cruising safely in this country imo.
With 54 hp it's not like a 750cc sports bike. But it would be able to go Autopista speeds without sweating. A 250cc bike is all-out wheezing at 60-65mph, with nothing in reserve for separation safety, not to mention the buzziness that goes with a single-cylinder bike at top rpm.

It's like a hybrid/crossover SUV on two wheels. I suspect this trend will continue, urban scooters able to hit the road for a weekend.

That said, the X-ADV is not inexpensive. It's pushing US$11,500 which puts it on par with some BMW's. I don't know the success, but I DO know what makes a good bike for the DR roads, and this one hits a nice sweet spot for those who want to ride anywhere and an upgrade from traditional Chinese standard or dirt bikes, even 250cc.

It is not light, it's not small, but has plenty of power, a low center of gravity, solid suspension, sccoter ergos and a cool automatic transmission. Girls bike on steroids? ;)

R

Ricardo900

With 54 hp it's not like a 750cc sports bike. But it would be able to go Autopista speeds without sweating. A 250cc bike is all-out wheezing at 60-65mph, with nothing in reserve for separation safety, not to mention the buzziness that goes with a single-cylinder bike at top rpm.

It's like a hybrid/crossover SUV on two wheels. I suspect this trend will continue, urban scooters able to hit the road for a weekend.

That said, the X-ADV is not inexpensive. It's pushing US$11,500 which puts it on par with some BMW's. I don't know the success, but I DO know what makes a good bike for the DR roads, and this one hits a nice sweet spot for those who want to ride anywhere and an upgrade from traditional Chinese standard or dirt bikes, even 250cc.

It is not light, it's not small, but has plenty of power, a low center of gravity, solid suspension, sccoter ergos and a cool automatic transmission. Girls bike on steroids? ;)

I like it! It's a good option if you don't know how to work the mechanics of a manual shifting bike. I've seen videos of that bike going 115+ mph, pretty fast for a scooter. My only concerns from my many years riding in NYC; is the inability to hop up on your pegs when you have to go over potholes and speed bumps. Biggest complaint with Harley guys resulting in bad backs.

D

Derfish

Heated grips???? How silly can one get??? It is the back of the hands that get cold, not the side doing the gripping. I remember wrapping handkerchiefs around the back of my hands in Iowa Novembers not thinking the side of my hands doing the gripping were cold. And a heated seat?

C

chico bill

Heated grips???? How silly can one get??? It is the back of the hands that get cold, not the side doing the gripping. I remember wrapping handkerchiefs around the back of my hands in Iowa Novembers not thinking the side of my hands doing the gripping were cold. And a heated seat?

The heat warms the whole glove, a lot of upper end bikes offer them, and heated seats a on a cold day up North would be a real blessing

C

Cdn_Gringo

Yeah but all that electrical stuff just makes the scooter go slower.

U

USA DOC

The heat warms the whole glove, a lot of upper end bikes offer them, and heated seats a on a cold day up North would be a real blessing

..In Minnesota where I grew up and lived...we did something much simpler, when it started to cool off(most of the year) we drove cars ...they had heaters, we would go out early start the car with the heater on max. and let it run about 15 minutes..then drive it...…..

C

cobraboy

..In Minnesota where I grew up and lived...we did something much simpler, when it started to cool off(most of the year) we drove cars ...they had heaters, we would go out early start the car with the heater on max. and let it run about 15 minutes..then drive it...…..
There is a huge group in the US and Canuckia called "Rounders" who ride all year long, even in snow, sleet and bitter cold. There is a large assortment of heated gear, and many many manufacturers are including heated grips and larger alternators to accommodate heated gear.

C

chico bill

You get a big fine for that now from the environmental police

U

USA DOC

There is a huge group in the US and Canuckia called "Rounders" who ride all year long, even in snow, sleet and bitter cold. There is a large assortment of heated gear, and many many manufacturers are including heated grips and larger alternators to accommodate heated gear.

...I can see that now....Snow tires and and 4 wheel drive on my Harley...what about -30 F?.....