Safety in The DR

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Alot of exaggerations and resentments in this thread.. It's not because im dominican, it just sickens me how people are so fast to insult 10 million people just for a bad experience involving dominicans..

Another thing is, if i hated a country so badly, i wouldn't take the time to create an account in a forum about said country to ventilate my frustrations..

I am just wary of people in general...........just happens that the dominican republic is populated by ........dominicans........strangely.......

Reactions: DR Dreamer

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Alot of exaggerations and resentments in this thread.. It's not because im dominican, it just sickens me how people are so fast to insult 10 million people just for a bad experience involving dominicans..

Another thing is, if i hated a country so badly, i wouldn't take the time to create an account in a forum about said country to ventilate my frustrations..

Funny you should say that. My wife, who is Dominican is far more mistrusting of Dominicans than I am. Even in the bank she tells me to be careful with my wallet. I have a beautiful property out towards the golf course here in Jarabacoa. She doesn't want me even doing a drive past without one of the mean looking cousins along for the ride. Lets face it the Dominican Republic is filled with people that have little regard for rules, laws, safety, and private property, and life. Doesn't make them bad people, just means you have to be on guard.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominican Sharks

imagine that a shark bites off your arm. still hopeful you take another dip in the ocean and another shark bites off your leg. wouldn't you be weary of sharks?

Quite true.
And as we know, once there is blood a whole school of sharks will rush in...

donP

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Funny you should say that. My wife, who is Dominican is far more mistrusting of Dominicans than I am. Even in the bank she tells me to be careful with my wallet. I have a beautiful property out towards the golf course here in Jarabacoa. She doesn't want me even doing a drive past without one of the mean looking cousins along for the ride. Lets face it the Dominican Republic is filled with people that have little regard for rules, laws, safety, and private property, and life. Doesn't make them bad people, just means you have to be on guard.
That doesn't mean much. I was robbed in California and the person who was with us, who was a local, told us it was safe. Not only did a bunch of people got robbed that day, but as I learned later, it wasn't the first time this happened.

Funny thing is that some of the people who were with me were making fun of me cause I never let my purse anywhere, asking me if I had gold in it.

Seriously, I'd rather hang out with someone who tells me to be alert and advices me to hold on to my wallet, than someone who'd create a false sense of security.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I have route for my exercise..... my Dominican neighbours tell me regularly not to use it alone.
It is a stretch of Highway #5.... main road on the North coast

The Doms are more alert than many would believe....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I believe Jarabacoa is probably one of the safest areas in the DR but there are desperate people here like everywhere and a growing drug problem. We take proper precautions.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Im not talking about people who criticize certain things "Criss Colon".. I've been opening threads precisely to listen to foreigners criticism and another outlook from their point of view of things that we have to improve.. I'm talking about people who just go around bashing the DR and insulting dominicans all the time.. People who don't have a life apparently.. I understand the investments and stuff, but i'm not talking about that.. I find it really pathetic to pass the whole day in a forum blasting the DR with no constructive criticisim, just a bunch of bull and downright obnoxious comments that add nothing positive to us in any way, shape or form.. I just don't get that obsessive behavior..

Props to all those who just provide their way of seeing things and provide their positive criticism, like mountainannie and some other forumers.

@Criss Colon, i was born in New York but i have been living in the DR since i was 8 years old.. So i consider myself pretty much a local.

snoopy15

Jan 22, 2013
Very good tips, I will give some tips too ( I have been back in fourth in this country for 5 years now, but living here for the last 2 years).

Don't walk around with your camera taking pictures, it doesn't matter if you are in zona colonial. I see tourists doing this all the time, I remember saying to one to keep his camera on his bag, he ignored me, few hours after when I saw him, he told me he got robbed. I was not surprised.

Always call the taxi, don't pick it up from the streets, you will pay more this way and is less safe.

Don't believe girls that tell you that they are in love with you. Dominican girls have really good game and you as a foreigner to find a decent one that likes you for what you are is extremely hard. Understand that many of them are trying to leave the country.

If you look like a local, the country is not that dangerous but if you look too much of a foreigner, be aware of your surroudings and watch where you walk around.

Dont misinterpret niceness for goodness, a lot of people in this country are nice but they are not good. Don't get me wrong, you can meet some good dominicans but unfortunately not many of them, this is a very hustling society, they believe that in order for them to get ahead in life, somebody needs to be stomped on.

AlecCorday

Feb 26, 2014
kiskeya.life
I believe Jarabacoa is probably one of the safest areas in the DR but there are desperate people here like everywhere and a growing drug problem. We take proper precautions.

I agree, Jarabacoa is pretty safe. Although I did get my motorcycle stolen last night, right off my porch, here in El Mirador. Still, there is a difference between straight up stick-em-up robbers and opportunistic burglars, and we have more of the later. You don't hear too much of the former. Actually it's been years since I've heard of a serious case, and then they had it coming.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
This thread started over 10 years ago, no activity for 2 years, and still a sticky. Hmm.

Maybe so many folks summed it up and left DR? Or no one wants to share anymore?

Get the defibrelator....

Here's a tip I learned in DR. Don't talk to anyone who tries to talk to you unsolicited. Especially if you don't hablo Espanol. Don't look quizicle like you want to understand what they're saying. Just say, "Fukk off". They watch enough gringo movies to comprender.

I'm a gringo in Haiti for 8 years and have similar tactics here and I speak creole. Better than French because most of them don't understand it anyway.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This thread started over 10 years ago, no activity for 2 years, and still a sticky. Hmm.

Get the defibrelator....

Here's a tip I learned in DR. Don't talk to anyone who tries to talk to you unsolicited. Especially if you don't hablo Espanol. Don't look quizicle like you want to understand what they're saying. Just say, "Fukk off". They watch enough gringo movies to comprender.

I'm a gringo in Haiti for 8 years and have similar tactics here and I speak creole. Better than French because most of them don't understand it anyway.

It is a sticky so new members can still learn from it. If you read through some of the old posts you will find many helpful ideas on how to stay safe. Lots of good info in this old thread.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
It is a sticky so new members can still learn from it. If you read through some of the old posts you will find many helpful ideas on how to stay safe. Lots of good info in this old thread.

You missed my point. It appears the on-line community no longer want to share tips. Hence my comment about 2 years of inactivity of this sticky.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Get the defibrelator....

"No, gracias" works for me.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Buzz65, you must be joking. How many times have you talked with anyone in the DR, unsolicited, and been told "Fukk Off"? Or "vete pal carajo Gringo sucio"?

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
I told my shrink I have a hard time making friends you fukking cokk sukker. He gave me a very disturbing look.

Just kidding.

To answer 2dlight with a question, have you ever been to Boca? I almost punched a guy who wouldn't stop trying to sell me his **** jewelry.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I told my shrink I have a hard time making friends you fukking cokk sukker. He gave me a very disturbing look.

Just kidding.

To answer 2dlight with a question, have you ever been to Boca? I almost punched a guy who wouldn't stop trying to sell me his **** jewelry.

Make no eye contact and a no thank you will work.