What is the actual location for the new Ritz Carlton Cabarete?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The new access road for the Ritz Carlton is just before you get to the cabana Costa Mar. Drove by there today and was going to drive in and take a look, but they've now put up a small fence at the entrance.

A new entrance road avoiding the abanoned resorts makes perfect sense.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
did anything ever come of this development? or any others near cabarete?

There is a new road east of Cabarete Center for the Marriott Ritz Carlton Reserve at La Boca. Some people on Facebook are trying to protest the work, but I suspect they are a day late and a dollar short.

Work on the Marriott W has started with clearing land for construction on Cabarete beach.

The Marriott Ocean Club (in Sosua) is slotted to open in March, as in next month.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Windy, a question for you. Are the Marriott/Ritz hotels that are coming to the North Coast anything like the
Marien Coral by Hilton that existed in Puerto Plata or Holden Sotheby's International Realty in Cabarete? In other words, is it just a "paid for name" on a billboard?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, a question for you. Are the Marriott/Ritz hotels that are coming to the North Coast anything like the
Marien Coral by Hilton that existed in Puerto Plata or Holden Sotheby's International Realty in Cabarete? In other words, is it just a "paid for name" on a billboard?

The Beach Club in Sosua is a partnership as I understand it. The W and Ritz Carlton Reserve, both in Cabarete are not partnerships as I understand it. All three are going to be listed on Marriott's web site as part of their chains of hotels. There are other examples of Beach Clubs, W and Ritz Carlton Reserve hotels on Marriott's web site.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The show must go on

There is a new road east of Cabarete Center for the Marriott Ritz Carlton Reserve at La Boca. Some people on Facebook are trying to protest the work, but I suspect they are a day late and a dollar short.

Work on the Marriott W has started with clearing land for construction on Cabarete beach.

The Marriott Ocean Club (in Sosua) is slotted to open in March, as in next month.

Today, a commission of prosecutors from the Public Ministry and environment of Santo Domingo, visited the district of Cabarete to inspect the project because of a complaint that there has been a destruction of a large part of the mangroves and by filling in the wetlands.

In one video the protestors made, it is said that the project is stopped by the environment department, El Ministerio de Medio Ambiente.

Let us see how that goes.

The background for this visit was this letter from the protestors

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Today, a commission of prosecutors from the Public Ministry and environment of Santo Domingo, visited the district of Cabarete to inspect the project because of a complaint that there has been a destruction of a large part of the mangroves and by filling in the wetlands.

In one video the protestors made, it is said that the project is stopped by the environment department, El Ministerio de Medio Ambiente.

Let us see how that goes.

The background for this visit was this letter from the protestors

Looks like Marriott's partners might have to "cough up" some more cash. Or the letter will simply be ignored.

Too bad there were not such protests when La Cienaga was built in a public park of protected wet lands.

Anyone living near there able to say if construction has stopped?

Last edited:

Indaba

Mar 8, 2020
Marriott

I agree, that's why I don't believe they are coming to Cab east.

I too was very skeptical regarding this, however I was down there yesterday and right across from hotel Kaoba
The are excavating a large property and all that rock is being taken East and they are using it to build a new road to La Boca, I saw it, so somethings going on for sure.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I too was very skeptical regarding this, however I was down there yesterday and right across from hotel Kaoba
The are excavating a large property and all that rock is being taken East and they are using it to build a new road to La Boca, I saw it, so somethings going on for sure.

The excavation is for the Marriott W across from Caoba. Some people will always have doubts until the doors open, and that is not without basis, especially here in the DR. Can the protests stop the Ritz Carlton Reserve at La Boca? Time will tell.

Indaba

Mar 8, 2020
that sounds much more possible! That probably includes drinks.

Haha exactly, who the hell would do a $30m dollar deal that fast on Caberete beach! Anyway they are definitely building a new road to La Boca as I stated previously, I saw it yesterday, I also heard part of this deal would be a marina at La Boca, time will tell, I also heard for what it’s worth, the new president (incoming) owns a lot of land between Sosúa and Caberete and has big revitalization plans. We shall see

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Haha exactly, who the hell would do a $30m dollar deal that fast on Caberete beach! Anyway they are definitely building a new road to La Boca as I stated previously, I saw it yesterday, I also heard part of this deal would be a marina at La Boca, time will tell, I also heard for what it’s worth, the new president (incoming) owns a lot of land between Sosúa and Caberete and has big revitalization plans. We shall see

There is nothing "fast" about this. Meetings were held years ago and plans made.

Luis Abinader (along with some partners) tried to revive the large resort near Perla Marina. Remember the "Coming Soon" signs? DR Customs messed up those plans with wanting too much too import fixtures they wanted to complete the job. Perhaps after he becomes President, he can work around such i$$ue$.

The revitalization plans were discussed in other threads about the future of Sosua as well. Of course there were people who said it would never happen.

I suspect the Ritz Carlton Reserve will proceed after a short delay.

Indaba

Mar 8, 2020
I just left the North coast yesterday, it was insane how busy it was, all the restaurants on Caberete beach were packed, I have never seen it that busy in March, and yes apart from all the obvious problems in the DR, it’s still paradise and under developed, also they promise 2000 jobs which would be a very good thing indeed.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree that Cabarete is busy, but it's certainly not all the restaurants. Mojito and Lax always do well, but the others are very sparsely populated. I was one of a handful of people eating at Voyvoy at about 6 p.m. yesterday (Saturday).

2,000 jobs will be very useful to the town if they employ local people, but the local council needs to improve infrastructure rather than allowing the money to disappear if Cabarete is to develop well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just left the North coast yesterday, it was insane how busy it was, all the restaurants on Caberete beach were packed, I have never seen it that busy in March, and yes apart from all the obvious problems in the DR, it’s still paradise and under developed, also they promise 2000 jobs which would be a very good thing indeed.

I played at Onno's on Thursday night. While we played, the tables on the beach were full.

However, I looked up and down the beach and saw nothing like the number of tourists that used to visit Cabarete. I would hardly call it busy.