When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2004
I would expect Jet Blue will continue their daily service between Santo Domingo and NY. Their Airbus planes are efficient and there is plenty of airfreight to cover costs. Also many travelers who are citizens of one country and legal residents of the other (and dual citizens). There is no restriction for them. With the rest of the terminal in SDQ empty, I suspect Jet Blue is having no problems making ends meet on that route.

JetBlue does not currently fly cargo to the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
British Airways is definitely cancelled through to the end of May. My friend who works quite high up in Ministry of Tourism and is in touch with BA said she is hopeful the service could resume in June because the flights already have good loads and the route is profitable. But this depends on a) the UK lockdown being lifted sufficiently for people to be able to travel (very likely), b) the Dominican government allowing foreigners to come in (likely), c) social distancing that will have to be observed on planes and whether they could fly economically with a gap between each seat, and d) whether it will be possible to have social distancing in the all-inclusive hotel model (no idea).

BA is resuming their service London to Cancun, Orlando, Barbados and Bermuda from the last week in May, that is confirmed, so there is a suggestion that holiday flights will run.

Jan 3, 2003
How could any rational person attempt to buy a travel ticket to a location that is indefinitely closed?
I also question the rationality of any foreigners insisting to stay in a country that if this International lockdown continues will definitely see societal collapse.

For the time being, the DR is dodging societal collapse by "solidaridad" cards and other measures to keep the population from starving. So far, so good. But for how long? Peso declines are accelerating.

I've concluded that all you mugs are 17th century pirates reincarnated. No other notion explains this. You are stuck in a possible powder keg with no flights to safety.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
You have a point, although toilet paper may be worth more lately !!:nervous:
1584417679182427662.jpg

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I also question the rationality of any foreigners insisting to stay in a country that if this International lockdown continues will definitely see societal collapse.

For the time being, the DR is dodging societal collapse by "solidaridad" cards and other measures to keep the population from starving. So far, so good. But for how long? Peso declines are accelerating.

I've concluded that all you mugs are 17th century pirates reincarnated. No other notion explains this. You are stuck in a possible powder keg with no flights to safety.
Thank you for your words of encouragement for those of us who live here permanently and have no other home. Also for the many foreigners here who despite all their efforts have been unable to find a way out.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
United has been really ****ty so far through all this. I flew down out of EWR to POP on March 1, I was to fly home on April 1. When they announced the lockdown I went on the United site around March 18th. They had no flights out I called waited n eww early 2 hours & was told they were starting to fly out on the 25th that my flight would be fine on 4/1. The next day I checked they had canceled my flight with no notification. I called JetBlue booked a flight and flew out on Saturday the 21st. JetBlue had reasonable pricees and customer service. We got diverted to Orlando because JFK had issues. On Sunday I got an email apology plus a $125 credit for the inconvenience which had nothing to do with them. On my flight down with United we had to turn back because of maintenance issues, switched planes then were delayed 2 more hours because of maintenance issues. United only gave a credit of $75. No apology or anything else. I thankfully am back home, but have not heard a word from United about my return flight credit. Long story short United sucks!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
United sucked in 1983.

Reactions: Rachelvaldes23

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Can you kindly advise which Shangri-La it is in which you currently reside or feel safe? I feel very safe and comfortable, along with my three houseguests. No troubles here to report.

Reactions: Stripe

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
British Airways is definitely cancelled through to the end of May. My friend who works quite high up in Ministry of Tourism and is in touch with BA said she is hopeful the service could resume in June because the flights already have good loads and the route is profitable. But this depends on a) the UK lockdown being lifted sufficiently for people to be able to travel (very likely), b) the Dominican government allowing foreigners to come in (likely), c) social distancing that will have to be observed on planes and whether they could fly economically with a gap between each seat, and d) whether it will be possible to have social distancing in the all-inclusive hotel model (no idea).

BA is resuming their service London to Cancun, Orlando, Barbados and Bermuda from the last week in May, that is confirmed, so there is a suggestion that holiday flights will run.

That would be great. My favorite flight back to Europe Punta Cana to Gatwick. Looking at your conditions a and b should be easily met in June/July. I think however c will make flying more expensive and it will take some time to adjust similar to after 9/11. Your d is an unknown. I already thought the all inclusive business model was a bit flawed which we saw last year with the “minibar” crisis. Some people may be put of eating at big buffets and being so many people close together similar to the cruise ships. And what about health care here ? Any foreigner who is here now resident or not or “stranded” will be thinking more about that.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you for your words of encouragement for those of us who live here permanently and have no other home. Also for the many foreigners here who despite all their efforts have been unable to find a way out.

Do not pay this Doomsday Davie any mind. He is just trolling and harping on the fears of some during his own self-isolation period. All will be well.

Reactions: Stripe and aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
John Boyter mentioned the 'mini-bar crisis' in a post above.

Remember, that 'adulterated liquor' was all over the country... as reported here in the DR1 News
Colmados, everywhere.... death follows the moonshine

What's it called - cleren?

I just remembered a lot of talk about the minibars when there was the situation last year in the resorts.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Yesterday westjet cancelled all May flights. I didn't hear this from them of course. I did my daily check online and saw my flight was cancelled

althebeast

Mar 26, 2020
La Romana
Well a couple days ago I said my friend was coming from Miami but his flight also canceled because they dont let anybody right now i guess

Feb 7, 2007
I would not expect with (c) flight to become more expensive. Same as in post 911, the demand will be less than normal and airfares will be kept in check. Airlines will be actually happy to have 66% load factor... They did not have those in post 911 era... Flights were flying and airfares were low.

Jan 9, 2004
Well a couple days ago I said my friend was coming from Miami but his flight also canceled because they dont let anybody right now i guess

JetBlue is now doing rolling cancellations. Whereas they were showing flights to the DR starting May 1, 2020, they are now showing their first flights beginning May 7, 2020. And if Medina keeps the country closed for an additional 15 days in May as is anticipated, more flights will get cancelled.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Status
Not open for further replies.