US goverment warns against travel to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Yeah I really feel for the thousands of tourist related workers. And looks like a long time before that is running properly again. I travel there regularly and I am worried about what is happening on the island

Come see. Or are there not flights? You are in UK?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I only know of home owners and here from dr1 some regular US-DR travelers but they all know the risk. I think opening the border was the right decision but it was wrong to try and restart the massive tourism.

There is no massive tourism - at least in Punta Cana. It is beyond slow everywhere. I already posted how much capacity is vacant and not being used.

Look at flights to PUJ. An average of about 10 a day incoming. Far less than usual, it goes without saying. The place is worse than slow. About half the shops and restaurants are closed. Very manageable.

The airports and planes to arrive from U.S. are more risky. In my opinion, and experience over the last few weeks.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
There is no massive tourism - at least in Punta Cana. It is beyond slow everywhere. I already posted how much capacity is vacant and not being used.

Look at flights to PUJ. An average of about 10 a day incoming. Far less than usual, it goes without saying. The place is worse than slow. About half the shops and restaurants are closed. Very manageable.

The airports and planes to arrive from U.S. are more risky. In my opinion, and experience over the last few weeks.

I agree with that opinion. Hopefully things will pick up and I hope in the meantime the US arrivals don't bring too much infection.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I just checked Tui website and no long haul till October to Mexico, They were showing Punta Cana from Gatwick and Manchester for November but I can;t see any for PUJ now

Interesting. Not surprising PUJ info may not be up to date. (US airlines also are still canceling my reservations for flights when they don't get enough people to book seats.)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I agree with that opinion. Hopefully things will pick up and I hope in the meantime the US arrivals don't bring too much infection.

I think if one did an analysis of how many cases would occur as a result of incoming US people, it would be low. A fraction of a percentage compared to cases transmitted locally. Just guessing... Someone else can do the simulation : )

I do think they need to try to reopen hotels, etc. Get experience at managing new protocols. And, see if they can succeed. It will be more disaster if there is rampant transmission of the virus in hotels. In that case, people will give up on it for much more time. Good to try now with the current 10 percent occupancy rate (mas o menos).

Reactions: cavok and colmcb

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think if one did an analysis of how many cases would occur as a result of incoming US people, it would be low. A fraction of a percentage compared to cases transmitted locally. Just guessing... Someone else can do the simulation : )

I do think they need to try to reopen hotels, etc. Get experience at managing new protocols. And, see if they can succeed. It will be more disaster if there is rampant transmission of the virus in hotels. In that case, people will give up on it for much more time. Good to try now with the current 10 percent occupancy rate (mas o menos).
That’s true. Could be an idea to start with smaller numbers of guests anyway. And yes the community spread is probably more a concern than incomming tourists.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

Yes and i think the hotel chains are taking that approach opening one of the hotels in their portfolio, to see how things go. I saw Riu opened one Palace in Cabo and all the bookings are going to that one rather than the three hotels. Think they are doing the same in Punta Cana. I think Mexico are running at 10% occupancy, no a lot but a start.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

One bright note today they have announced that the vaccine being developed by Oxford and AstraZeneca is showing promising signs so far. The data has been peer reviewed in the Lancet this week. Still early days but fingers crossed.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
One bright note today they have announced that the vaccine being developed by Oxford and AstraZeneca is showing promising signs so far. The data has been peer reviewed in the Lancet this week. Still early days but fingers crossed.

And Moderna in US.

But, if it is true that something like 80 percent of all COVID cases are asymptomatic, will it be worth it to risk the vaccine? It will depend on side effects, effects on particular age groups, etc. And efficacy. (I have a family to consider. With adolescent kids still in school in RD, potentially.)

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
And Moderna in US.

But, if it is true that something like 80 percent of all COVID cases are asymptomatic, will it be worth it to risk the vaccine? It will depend on side effects, effects on particular age groups, etc. And efficacy. (I have a family to consider. With adolescent kids still in school in RD, potentially.)
When a vaccine is developed, Would you allow your children to be vaccinated in the first round, or wait to see the effects on others that opt for it?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
In what way do you believe? That CV is more widespread, or exaggerated?
More widespread everywhere in the world. You need to multiply the infection rates by anywhere from 5X or more, depending on the country. Just guessing so don't beat me up too much but I would go with 5X for Germany, 10X for the US and 20X for the DR.

Reactions: aarhus

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
This is just Florida. It is probably happening elsewhere in the USA but it doesn't fit the prevailing narrative so the MSM wont report it. Most outlets will decry any suggestions of inflate CV19 numbers os a conservative conspiracy theory, their same tired M.O.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
When a vaccine is developed, Would you allow your children to be vaccinated in the first round, or wait to see the effects on others that opt for it?
Children will probably be last in line for vaccination, so any side effects will be known by then.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
More widespread everywhere in the world. You need to multiply the infection rates by anywhere from 5X or more, depending on the country. Just guessing so don't beat me up too much but I would go with 5X for Germany, 10X for the US and 20X for the DR.
This could be true but not for lack of reporting. The deficiency would be in lack of testing since testing isn't mandatory. People that decide to get tested feel some kind of symptom. Those that are asymptomatic will rarely, if ever, volunteerily go get tested.

Reactions: slowmo
Status
Not open for further replies.