The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2009
yep. Still young at heart :).

Pedro C wasn't a one-way street.
"Big Playero" was kitty-corner to Little Playero.
There were hardly any cars.
Eddie's Sports Bar was booming
Not much serious street crime / motos / drugs

How times have changed
I think Winded has you beat though, he's been here like 37 years. @windeguy

That was probably my speed back then. Must have been nice

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
yep. Still young at heart :).

Pedro C wasn't a one-way street.
"Big Playero" was kitty-corner to Little Playero.
There were hardly any cars.
Eddie's Sports Bar was booming
Not much serious street crime / motos / drugs

How times have changed

I had forgotten about Eddie's

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I really envy you guys who came down as early as 90's and even 80's .. man that must have been something ...
Any pictures you might want to share would be awesome , even if you posted them before ..
What I would not give to have been in Sosua back in the day . just once even .

Reactions: Brendan Hubley

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I had forgotten about Eddie's
Remember Lorenzo's Pizza? Located in the building which became Patrick's Jewelry store. The Dominican guy ( Louis ) used to walk the beach with a Pizza delivery bag, apron and chef's hat selling Pizza by the slice. People always thought his name was Lorenzo. :)

He later was a meat cutter for the "Big Playero" Cutting meat in a window where people could watch. He is still around ( I think). Saw him in Sosua in the last year. He and my son worked a bar in Encuentro later.

Fond menories of those days. Yes - I wish I had photos. Only in my cabeza ahora

Reactions: jd426

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
The BEST bar (IMO) in those days was run by Irish guys from Boston - Sully's - in the location that is the failed location of Belgium Bakery on Pedro C.

My friend Bill Foley ( RIP ) was a partner there

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Whats even more Comical is these over 70 y/o guys who live in Sosua, and who think their 20 year old " Novias" are with them because of their Charm, wit , and sense of humor ..
thats comedy ..
The girls are making a legal living.
How would you know or care what what is in the minds of the clients?
You have a very active fantasy life.
Time to mind your own business and live and let live.
See ya in church.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
A pool pump engineer
Here's a bit of news.
Reuters reports Las Vegas based non profit "Hookers For Jesus" just received federal funding.
Perhaps some of you with interest in helping your fellow man could form a Sosua Chapter.
I am certain one of the local churches will step up with an offer of meeting place.
For the guys an alternative organization could be "John's For Jesus".
Spiritual and moral healing together.
A twofer. What's not to like?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think Winded has you beat though, he's been here like 37 years. @windeguy

That was probably my speed back then. Must have been nice
Not at all. I retired in Cabarete in 2003, which I have stated numerous times. 17 years full time, not 37. You are just not keeping up, again.

Astucia seems to be correct that the "good old days" started to fade around 2007. Was that the time for the rise of Punta Cana?

As for the future, some of that is on hold at the moment. If indeed the future can be put on hold.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
To me user is posting his opinion, no? It's a thread about a drug and whore town, Worse comments and opinions posted on this board every day. I guess you woke up with your own self interest disguised as altruism today. Puhleez.

Om mani padme hum
it's not just an opinion and you guess wrong again.
The poster is placing himself in the minds of people engaging in perfectly legal activity.
Why are you bringing drugs into the discussion?
You cannot be ignorant of the illegality of even minor drug use in the DR.
People are entitled to engage in legal activity without belittling comments about what someone with a seeming prurient interests thinks is going on in their mind.
Interesting that the the working girls are bothering you so much?
Live and let live and myob make the world a better place.

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
it's not just an opinion and you guess wrong again.
The poster is placing himself in the minds of people engaging in perfectly legal activity.
Why are you bringing drugs into the discussion?
You cannot be ignorant of the illegality of even minor drug use in the DR.
People are entitled to engage in legal activity without belittling comments about what someone with a seeming prurient interests thinks is going on in their mind.
Interesting that the the working girls are bothering you so much?
Live and let live and myob make the world a better place.
I don't see why people cannot belittle whoremongers, be it legal or otherwise. :D :devilish: :eek:. That would be their own personal belief or feeling, no?
And they have the right to express it.

That said, as a Libertarian, I could care less what two consenting adults engage in. Others, not so much.

Reactions: ctrob

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I don't see why people cannot belittle whoremongers, be it legal or otherwise.
most excellent point, not to take this good thread off course, I dont see why people cannot belittle people that are trapped in relationships with the same Dominican paying for everything for her and her family for years and believing it is true love Thats more painful to watch than some old guy having a weekend fantasy

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
We need to shift the focus back to Sosua and it’s future without making hookers and their mongers the main topic.

Thanks

Reactions: drstock

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
A foolish effort to mischaracterize.
If you understood there would be no discussion.
Your bizarre views remind me of the old fable of the fox that could not reach the grapes telling himself they are probably sour.
But you will never really know.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
We need to shift the focus back to Sosua and it’s future without making hookers and their mongers the main topic.

Thanks
Yes, there is so much repetitive nonsense here, a lot of it from someone who thinks he is a "king" and believes every thread is about him. For some of us, the future of Sosua is of interest and importance.

Reactions: ctrob and windeguy

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks
I have no issue with changing topics but do not think a few posts create a new main topic.
I think our little town is much improved over the last 15 years or so.
I only wish the town could make an effort to cooperate with the Beach Vendors Association with a goal of improving the beach.
The public beach is one of the gems of Sosua but could be vastly improved with sanitation and maybe night lighting to start.
It almost seems like purposeful neglect.
Would also like to see some safety measures for the small boats reckless behavior.
Hope we are not waiting for a serious accident or fatality.
Motor boats and beach bathers are not a good mix and it is an accident waiting to happen.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Not at all. I retired in Cabarete in 2003, which I have stated numerous times. 17 years full time, not 37. You are just not keeping up, again.

Astucia seems to be correct that the "good old days" started to fade around 2007. Was that the time for the rise of Punta Cana?

As for the future, some of that is on hold at the moment. If indeed the future can be put on hold.
To quote Winston Churchill "My future is behind me."

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu
Status
Not open for further replies.