What will be the total economic impact on the DR from the COVID19 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It will be interesting to see the new norm develop along with the treatment of the anti maskers and anti vaxxers who jeopardize measures to protect the majority.
Meanwhile donald announced today he is considering plans to refuse admittance to the US of American citizens who are abroad and test positive for CV.
Another knock on tourism.

How about the DR offers free special flight to the US for anti maskers and people who tested positive and are sick with CV?
Do it quick before the WH produces a plan.
This way the DR rids itself of sick Americans and anti mask people.
For good measure toss in the Americans who are residing in DR jails.
Kind of like the way Fidel Castro emptied the mental hospitals and prisons to the US during the Mariel Boat lift.

Your quote "Meanwhile donald announced today he is considering plans to refuse admittance to the US of American citizens who are abroad and test positive for CV" - Do you have support for this as I was unable to find anything on this.

You post a LOT of unfounded, unsupported statements such as "
Countries around the world that have opened up at the approximate point the DR is currently in have seen gigantic spikes in the number of deaths and cases of CV.
Opening the economy has caused the epidemic to spiral out of control." - where is your proof? This country was never on a complete shut down unlike Colombia with a 24/7 shut down and STILL a spike in cases. The death rate is STILL very low.
Tell me how closing the world economy has been a better tactic than simply having the oldest and those with existing illnesses shelter and take precautions.

Reactions: Big and KyleMackey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gary--- are you Rip Van Winkle

2 days ago

?????????? Considers Banning Re-entry by Citizens Who May Have Coronavirus
Under the proposal, the government could block a citizen or legal resident’s entry if an official “reasonably believes” the person had been exposed to or was infected with the communicable disease.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Gary--- are you Rip Van Winkle

2 days ago

?????????? Considers Banning Re-entry by Citizens Who May Have Coronavirus
Under the proposal, the government could block a citizen or legal resident’s entry if an official “reasonably believes” the person had been exposed to or was infected with the communicable disease.

No, William, I googled it and found nothing. Are you telling me that if it was posted on Dr1 it is accurate. I am not saying it isn't true but I, as often as possible try to post a supporting article. Damn man Rip Van Winkle, I' not THAT old,,,,,yet

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The US is going to slide into a recession ... ESPECIALLY NYC where most Dominicans reside. The economy is a stand still and will have a ripple effect on the remittance money sent from US.

Dominican economy's MAIN money maker is Tourism. This will be a big dent in MANY pockets ! Lost wages, Sales, Events, Weddings, Tax Revenue, Cruise Revenue, AirBnb Taxes.

Unlike NY or other developed cities , The government has no solid plan to provide an effective " Safety Net" for the hundreds of small business and stores that will close or fail.

Many dominicans I met live literally week by week and a 15 day lockdown will really be destabilizing the country massively.

Also, DR doesnt have an effective or well equipped health care system or infrastructure to deal with any infection clusters of any size....Oh man

As if that werent enough, COVID19 shows no signs of stopping just yet so we dont how long it will take. ......Call it an Open Ended crisis.

We are living history. This will be in all the textbooks. The world will now remember things as Pre or Post Corona
Mm said the above on March 19th. What a call and nice job on predicting the future.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The virus does not burn out and there is zero evidence that immunity strengthens.
Is there a source for these fantasies?

Different countries have different methods of attributing causes of deaths so there can be some disagreement over death numbers.
With 330 million people the worlds richest country has been an abject failure at responding to the epidemic.

Your view of living like a rabbit is juvenile and uninformed.
I too have it tough.
Living with cold ac, giant screen TV, fast internet, on call delivered food and a gym nearby with solid strictly enforced health restrictions.
Some of us make the best of this new reality while others whine , suffer and complain.

We make choices and yours is clearly to feel sorry for yourself and retreat to a world where masks do not work and you trust no one.
You make yourself into a rabbit.
I am fine and making the best of the situation over which I have little control.
The reality is masks will be with us for years.
Must be a bitch to be forced to wear something that you just know does not work.
There you go you exposed why you don't care about others struggling to make a living and yearning to return to just work.
You sit in what many would consider an Ivory Tower and even have a gym that's allowed to open ? And fast internet ?

Well in the DR (not your cushy Northern abode) many are not eating, nor can they afford 'delivery on call'. And gyms, at least in this Provence are shuttered again.

You obviously like the taste of your silver spoon. Too bad Dominicans and many expats in DR can't afford to sit back in leather recliners and have their Uber Eats delivered.

And FYI viruses do burn out. They can die off from environmental factors or they wind up infecting a percentage of a population then can't find new susceptible hosts

Read these:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have been watching the real-estate market lately and have seen less downward movement than I would anticipate going forward. I expect there to be some realy opportunities in the next 6-12 months as businesses fail and peoples reserves dissipate. I am not at all happy to see this however as opportunities present themselves I will be more and more interested in looking to capitalize.
Well if it was stocks I would say you missed that window in March.
I bought several and am enjoying the upside. I have one which is up 334% and pays me a 44.5% dividend based on my purchase price. My mistake was not buying 5 times as much when I bought that one.
Yes I lost on a few trades but I think i will keep looking for bargains, unless Joe Dementia kills the rally.
So at least there was that positive note for me.

Let me know if you find any bottom feeder prices on a low mileage SUV, I may be up for a trade

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
And now this. With many economies shuttered it now turns out that despite the hysteria (of many libtards on this forum) that the US is leading the world in this deadly pandemic, turns out the mortality rate from all causes is actually lower so far this year than the previous 11 years (since 2009) . Hmm, I thought Covid was decimating the population ?

Go figure:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
And now this. With many economies shuttered it now turns out that despite the hysteria (of many libtards on this forum) that the US is leading the world in this deadly pandemic, turns out the mortality rate from all causes is actually lower so far this year than the previous 11 years (since 2009) . Hmm, I thought Covid was decimating the population ?

Go figure:

the real death toll will be realized in 6 to 12 months when the people that put off minor surgeries ( stents, biopsies, exploratory and other diagnostic procedures ) discover they are on deaths door.

Reactions: slowmo

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
For the Dominican Republic this will also most likely be true given that traffic accidents were 1,418 of the 3,895 violent deaths in 2018, according to the National Statistics Office (ONE).

Sep 22, 2009
the real death toll will be realized in 6 to 12 months when the people that put off minor surgeries ( stents, biopsies, exploratory and other diagnostic procedures ) discover they are on deaths door.
At least 12 months. Mortality numbers are published well into the following year. I was asking this also. Are more folks dying than before. The answer in 12 months? Most likely no.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

Go figure:

And a lower death rate than 20 of the last 21 years.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
At least 12 months. Mortality numbers are published well into the following year. I was asking this also. Are more folks dying than before. The answer in 12 months? Most likely no.
many that have put off or have had their procedures delayed might night die but may suffer health effects that last a life time

Reactions: chico bill

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
My sister who is a geriatrician at the University of Southwestern Texas in Dallas says that too many procedures ordered are unnecessary. https://www.choosingwisely.org

But what we are seeing right now is that people are not getting treated early for Covid-19 and those are the people that are ending up going too late to the hospitals here and that is why hospitalizations are up.

There is hope the new medical authorities may make a difference starting 17 August 2020.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My sister who is a geriatrician at the University of Southwestern Texas in Dallas says that too many procedures ordered are unnecessary. https://www.choosingwisely.org

But what we are seeing right now is that people are not getting treated early for Covid-19 and those are the people that are ending up going too late to the hospitals here and that is why hospitalizations are up.

There is hope the new medical authorities may make a difference starting 17 August 2020.

Too many covid procedures or too many other procedures? Can you or she give some examples?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
[QUOTE="Dolores, post: 5549620, member: 2

[/QUOTE]
Does that mean there will also be a change in "medical authorities " as well here on DR1??:unsure:

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

There could be some truth to Doctors prescribing too many or not needed procedures or surgeries. In my home city a Surgeon at Children's Hospital did about 250 that were not required, for billing purposes only. When an investigation began he split and left for India (where he was from). What treatment for CV19 is there except hydroxychloroquine/zinc? Hospitals have been back to doing regular operations for some time. And ask your sister why UT Southwestern is in NE Texas AKA Dallas.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

Go figure:

What does this have to do with the economic impact on the DR from Covid-19? "Libtard"? Did you make that name up all by yourself?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What does this have to do with the economic impact on the DR from Covid-19? "Libtard"? Did you make that name up all by yourself?
Has to do with previous comments about restricting flights due to the US having such a high mortality rate.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No, William, I googled it and found nothing. Are you telling me that if it was posted on Dr1 it is accurate. I am not saying it isn't true but I, as often as possible try to post a supporting article. Damn man Rip Van Winkle, I' not THAT old,,,,,yet
He is correct your living under a rock see screen print.
search key https://duckduckgo.com/?q=TRump+Con...s+Who+May+Have+Coronavirus&atb=v62-7__&ia=web
1597346918920.png

Status
Not open for further replies.