Car insurance in the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What kind of coverage do most buy for their cars in the DR? Do any of you buy more insurance than basic plans or "full insurance'? Any tips or hints ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Get the one that keeps you out of the JailHouse..... casa de chofer or something

You get locked up - but privately !!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes be sure to get Casa de Conductor coverage. We’ve never had much over the basic insurance otherwise.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
What kind of coverage do most buy for their cars in the DR? Do any of you buy more insurance than basic plans or "full insurance'? Any tips or hints ?
Keep in mind if you live in North coast and driving there and Puerto Plata only Casa conductor is useless ..here they let you go home as long as you have sufficient insurance coverage for what your going to get blamed for...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Keep in mind if you live in North coast and driving there and Puerto Plata only Casa conductor is useless ..here they let you go home as long as you have sufficient insurance coverage for what your going to get blamed for...
No I live in the JD area. I'm drawing kinda a blank today with ppl Im talking to about this "casa conductor" tack- on feature. Maybe tomorrow it will be clearer to me.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
No I live in the JD area. I'm drawing kinda a blank today with ppl Im talking to about this "casa conductor" tack- on feature. Maybe tomorrow it will be clearer to me.
I'm keen to hear from someone who has been in the casa de conductor or someone who was locked up for lack of that coverage.

Reactions: drstock

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was hit several years ago, in an area at the bottom of the hill coming up to Jarabacoa. Both myself and the guy coming down the hill had casa de conductor ON OUR INSURANCE. Fortunately nobody was seriously hurt, but his car was totalled and my Santa Fe was pretty damaged on the drivers side. No police showed up but both of us took lots of pictures. We exchanged insurance info and cedulas. His Tow truck showed up first and off he went to Santo Domingo. We had to wait in the rain for about four hours for our tow truck to show up. Next day my wife went into the bank where we got our insurance and after a few phone calls back and forth we were told we had to go in person to Casa Conductor in Santo Domingo because the other guy had already filed his report there. Off we went to Casa de Conductor on John F Kennedy. We gave them the name of the other guy, filled in our report, gave them the pictures and they said they would pass all info onto the insurance company within a day or do. They did, and the other guy had actually admitted fault. There was no going to jail or anything else, just a routine report and wait for the two insurance companies to negotiate.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning in STI it means that if you are in an accident and the vehicle is able to be drive you go to the Casa de Conducir and make your police report. If any one is injured or does not have a valid SR license you will probably have to spend the night in one of their private rooms just like a hotel a/c, cable, wifi etc and it used to come with breakfast.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Johne,

I would strongly recommend you get insurance with one of the big guys, and go through a reputable agent who is your "go-to" if you have an accident.

You should also make sure you get the optional reporting service, which folks call Casa de Conductor.

You should also get Servicio de Grua included when you buy your insurance.

There are two agencies that offer services like this in Santo Domingo.

One is Casa de Conductor on Ave. Bolivar and the other is called Grupo Automovilistica On Kennedy across the street from Sambil Mall. Both are privately owned.

Without going into the hows and whys, Casa de Conductor now deals only with Universal Insurance clients while Grupo Automovilistica deals with the other insurance companies.

If you have this coverage, it should be listed on your insurance card.

If they are not listed on your card, you can have it added by contacting your agent or the insurance company.

Last edited:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
You can get fiansa judicial is normally included in in the policy for 300,000 peso but you should buy 1 million 5 million 10 million etc to pay lawyers so you are not put jail. You can also get Casa de Conductor which pays for the towing.
Pm me for details on our policies

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
If you have an accident and kill someone and have the fiansa judicial the police can hold you for up to 24 hours so the lawyers have time to come. After 24 hours the problem is with the insurance company. If you don't have the fiansa judical you stay in jail , until you pay cash whatever the people want. In this case normally they get lawyers and you get a lawyer who is usually not going to work in your best interest.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You can get fiansa judicial is normally included in in the policy for 300,000 peso but you should buy 1 million 5 million 10 million etc to pay lawyers so you are not put jail. You can also get Casa de Conductor which pays for the towing.
Pm me for details on our policies
Check your PM