Curfew Tightened Considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Why would anybody attempt to weather that?
It is sheer insanity. Just like operating a yola into a Tropical Storm.
Is it not better to purchase what you NEED today from a local colmado, and large purchase tomorrow morning, when there will be less people and more available hours to purchase that which you may DESIRE?
I really believe many set themselves up for unnecessary difficulties.

Exactly, how I operate....I would even go on Tuesday to give them time to restock.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Another reason I love the D.R. If you try that in Canada you'd have to call for union approval, get Workmens Compensation in place, pay minimum union wage ( currently $ 18.65 per hour), supply a mandatory break, have a porta potty close by and interview all genders(in Canada we have a unlimited number) for the position.
Finally, you can not let him/her go from employment without 2 years notice. Otherwise......all good.
How the restriction would affect this, I have no idea. Hazard pay?
Wow.
I hope you're still able to get down here without too much hassle.
Was up in Sosua on Wednesday and had a great time. They announced
the new draconian measures a few hours before I left Santiago to go up there.

Everything was business as usual Wednesday afternoon but a good friend
of mine who is currently up there tells me businesses are closing now by 12pm Sat and Sun
just like the rest of the country and will be closing by 5pm M-Fri.

An acquaintance of mine owns a grocery store here in Santiago.
He has a good relationship with the local "higher ups" and when I was talking to him
this morning about the current mess he told me the 12pm Sat y Sun curfew will
probably end on the 10th as originally planned but the 5pm M-F curfew is going
to continue.

My source of information has been 100% correct since this nonsense started back in March
of last year. From the airports closing to the elections, to the holidays. So (sadly) I am anticipating
this information being correct as well.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Wow.

of mine who is currently up there tells me businesses are closing now by 12pm Sat and Sun

He has a good relationship with the local "higher ups" and when I was talking to him
to continue.

My source of information has been 100% correct since this nonsense started back in March
of last year. From the airports closing to the elections, to the holidays. So (sadly) I am anticipating

What do you anticipate the hours to be on weekends ?

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
Wow.

to continue.

Thanks for the timely information. These curfews tightened are affecting travel here and there, obviously.
Not sure it is worth it any longer, though I have paid the first months rent as a damage deposit. I suppose you weigh the risks vs. the money eh?

Which brings up another question. Have you, through your friends heard of any rumors of another airport shut down? Even a rumor is concerning given this "Second Wave" and govts acting like tyrants, shutting off routes to fun in the sun at times.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Thanks for the timely information. These curfews tightened are affecting travel here and there, obviously.
Not sure it is worth it any longer, though I have paid the first months rent as a damage deposit. I suppose you weigh the risks vs. the money eh?

Which brings up another question. Have you, through your friends heard of any rumors of another airport shut down? Even a rumor is concerning given this "Second Wave" and govts acting like tyrants, shutting off routes to fun in the sun at times.
SKY would be the person to ask about the airports although from what I've read in the local press,
it sounds like a case by country case. Much like they just locked out flights from the UK.

Reactions: twoinsosua

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Exactly, how I operate....I would even go on Tuesday to give them time to restock.

I hate lines as well... Currently, outside of the preparing of Christmas/New Year's Dinner, we only do a carefully planned purchase in supermarkets once a week tops. Last time we departed the house at 7:15 am on Thursday, no queues, no traffic, full shelves (Jose Luis in POP), we were out in less than 30 minutes, and when the clerk was pushing our full cart back to the car (thank you very much for that, he was tipped pretty well...), there was a queue of approx 25 people outside... Back home in almost no traffic and starting preparing the morning coffee...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With respect, the AI's are also suffering (just look at what Hard Rock is charging at the moment for example). One of them was just fined RD$ 4M for having a party and MITUR made it very clear in their message that any further breaches will mean licences are revoked. This will not be seen as an empty threat by hotel managers, trust me. The government also banned UK arrivals which by their own admission means 3000 less guests (and in reality nearer to 6000 guests). The AI's are pretty much on their knees and we haven't seen a massive surge of Covid cases in Bavaro or Higuey, the big numbers are in the capital and Santiago. Just trying to give some balance.
The goal of the DR government is to get business back to AI resorts because they are the biggest potential money maker for the tourism business. Of course AI's are suffering, but the government is focusing on getting back their business as much as possible.

Reactions: SKY and Michael DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You obviously believe the numbers. I do not. I think that there is a big difference between someone who dies "from" the virus as opposed to those that die "with" the virus. I would like to see deaths from Influenza for each year 2015 - 2020. plus other ailments like heart disease etc.
I used the numbers best as I could given the information available. About 1 out of 200 people seemed to die if they got CV19. Could be way off. I have no way to know the actual numbers.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Well I for one have really enjoyed this mid-day curfew weekend. I was dreading it, but decided to make the best of it and make a plan. Which was to go out for a nice walk beside the sea at 11am each day, then a swim and sunbathe, lunch then an afternoon / evening of doing all those little things like tidying the closet, backing up the computer, catching up on emails, and it's flown by. And of course I only got a 10th of what I wanted to get done done, so I'm kind of looking forward to next weekend. Don't think I could stand it every weekend, but for anyone who has a busy work life, being forced to spend a couple of days at home is quite a blessing.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Apparently some are saying that the curfew on Wednesday the 6th ( 3 Kings day ) is 12 noon - just like Saturday and Sunday. According to them there is a video with the President cancelling all gatherings and announcing the change in curfew for this day only. I haven't seen this so can only report what I have been told.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
A lot of people depend on the advice of the pharmacist that's what's wrong.
Can you use a credit car curbside too ?
This has not been thought through and the people will not be able to do their routines. I suspect the motoconchos and taxistas will be some of the first to raise a squawk. How can they survive with half a day and reduced seating, or are they shut down entirely ? Public transport is likely the main cause of the virus spread - it sure isn't in the pharmacies
You can talk to pharmacist on phone when you place order and give him visa number then go pick up or deliver..

Status
Not open for further replies.