Airports to be shut down for 15 days from 10th Jan ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Why would the government close airports and require PCR testing in an effort to stop the variants entering the DR.? The variants are world wide now and it’s more than likely they are in the DR given the large number of UK tourists that have travelled to the DR since last fall. Hopefully the latest new highly infectious South African variant that is resistant to the vaccines is not. The PCR test only indicates positive or negative. They don’t indicate if it’s a variant. That requires genome testing, which I would imagine is very limited in the DR, if it exists at all.

The fecal material has already hit the aerator in Canada. This morning, many Canadian families are stuck abroad having difficulty obtaining PCR tests. The airlines are asking the government for a delay of a week or two because the onus is on them to ensure passengers returning to Canada have the tests. Now the DR government wants to join the PCR test requirement madness. Too little too late and it will all come crashing down at Canadian airports soon.

This is a gong show folks, and as painful as it is, it will have to play out until some degree of sanity starts to prevail.

British Airways only flew four planeloads in, I believe the first flight was 15th December and the last was on 20th December. And TUI UK similarly only started its service mid-December and promptly had all flights cancelled by the Dominican government. So it's not correct to say that there were a lot of UK tourists, I estimate 2000 maximum, almost all of whom will have stayed in an AI with little contact with people in the main hotspots of Santo Domingo and Santiago.

I think it's pretty certain an announcement is coming on 10th, basically because we don't know what the curfew times will be after 10th. And yesterday Abinader hinted that there would be tougher measures, saying that Dominicans need to have one last big push, so IMO he is paving the ground for next week.

Reactions: twoinsosua

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Yes but from a reliable rumor source which is almost a sure thing, no?
I think the reality is that not everyone in government who makes these decisions agrees. So some will be asking for a total shutdown of everything, some will want things to stay open. Discussions are probably still taking place today, and I guess the rumours come from people close to the decision-makers saying "guess what, they are thinking of doing this next week". But unless or until it's announced, it's not certain.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There will be thousands of tourists stuck here who came during winter holidays if they announce this only 3 days out. Surely the announcement will allow for a few days for people to leave the island otherwise it will be a global news story making DR an unsafe option for years to come (this isn't March when everyone was shutting down so not a big focus on one country)
They will find a way to get them back. Fly out empty planes, so nobody new coming in but people allowed out. That's how it has worked everywhere else, hundreds of countries have shut borders, there is a protocol.

Reactions: PCMike

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
British Airways only flew four planeloads in, I believe the first flight was 15th December and the last was on 20th December. And TUI UK similarly only started its service mid-December and promptly had all flights cancelled by the Dominican government. So it's not correct to say that there were a lot of UK tourists, I estimate 2000 maximum, almost all of whom will have stayed in an AI with little contact with people in the main hotspots of Santo Domingo and Santiago.

I think it's pretty certain an announcement is coming on 10th, basically because we don't know what the curfew times will be after 10th. And yesterday Abinader hinted that there would be tougher measures, saying that Dominicans need to have one last big push, so IMO he is paving the ground for next week.

Even so UK citizens could have, and were all over europe, skiing in the alps, chilling on the coast somewhere in the south of europe, and--- to a lesser extent--- could have been anywhere worldwide these last few months.
So the people they came in contact with could potentially be carriers of the new strain.

Idk why the whole end of sentenced ended up bold and not only " potentially ". Oh well, the mysteries of the internet 😄

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Was under the impression that a lot of UK tourists came in through Madrid to Santo Domingo as well as Punta Cana. Are these in addition to the flights you just mentioned?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
They will find a way to get them back. Fly out empty planes, so nobody new coming in but people allowed out. That's how it has worked everywhere else, hundreds of countries have shut borders, there is a protocol.
At this point there is not even a hint of bailout flights for stranded Canadians, just more tough talk of stricter conditions. What bizarre about this is Haiti has been granted an exemption by Canadian authorities.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Even so UK citizens could have, and were all over europe, skiing in the alps, chilling on the coast somewhere in the south of europe, and--- to a lesser extent--- could have been anywhere worldwide these last few months.
So the people they came in contact with could potentially be carriers of the new strain.

Idk why the whole end of sentenced ended up bold and not only " potentially ". Oh well, the mysteries of the internet 😄
Add to this the fact that we have the variants in Canada and thousands of Quebec residents hit the DR beaches during Xmas and New Years. The didn’t wear masks or practise social distancing or stay on the resorts. It just adds to the futility of the new DR test requirement.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
If true that sucks for me. I just returned to work in Costa Rica on Jan 04 and my break is scheduled to start on Feb 04. But I suppose Costa Rica is not a bad place for a lockdown. Too bad my wife wont be here. Muah....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Back in March/April how did this airport shutdown go down, did they give tourists already on the island a few days to be able to leave? Or were they just stuck here for 15-30 days?
There were flights coming to bring Dominicans back who wanted to return and arrangements were made for people stuck here to go back to

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I doubt very much any closure will happen

The world is trying to figure out how to assess/measure incoming passengers...
It will happen.... it will

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes but from a reliable rumor source which is almost a sure thing, no?
Of course. Just like a stock tip. "this is a sure thing according to the shoe shine boy that just shined the CEO's shoes." LOL as that example dates me.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hopefully , residents will be allowed to enter this trip - if closed....
There is an AirTransat flight departing Montreal and heading to POP tomorrow. Lots of people on board. I know a couple of people on the flight. They are disregarding the Federal/Provincial stay at home recommendation. I don’t think people care one way or the other Bill. They are tired. Just want a bit of sun and sand. People working in LTC’s in Ontario are refusing Covid vaccine shots. They are fed up with government handling of the pandemic and don’t trust the vaccines.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
There is an AirTransat flight departing Montreal and heading to POP tomorrow. Lots of people on board. I know a couple of people on the flight. They are disregarding the Federal/Provincial stay at home recommendation. I don’t think people care one way or the other Bill. They are tired. Just want a bit of sun and sand. People working in LTC’s in Ontario are refusing Covid vaccine shots. They are fed up with government handling of the pandemic and don’t trust the vaccines.
Refusing vaccines in Ontario? I think your mistaken with American news... only 50000 dosed so far in Ontario with few complaints

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What I was saying was =

Last flight shutdown allowed Dom citizens to fly in - but not Dom residents
Seemed odd to me.....

But - to your statement- YES, I say many, many will head south - as is/has been their habit for years
Here, FLA, etc

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Refusing vaccines in Ontario? I think your mistaken with American news... only 50000 dosed so far in Ontario with few complaints
They will be restricted from life in Canada and travel. The government controls your life in Canada, eh ?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Wish I was but I’m not. Premier Ford is trying to figure out how to deal with the percentage of personal care workers who are refusing to get the vaccinations. Do they make them mandatory for health care workers, etc. They are in short supply so I can’t see him rocking the boat too much to gain full compliance. The people refusing the vaccinations are a small racial minority that’s been discriminated against by the LTC management and the provincial government for years. They don’t trust any of them.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you don't get the vaccine you will be like a leper some where down the road. Exiled to a colony. Mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.