whats going on in La Ciénaga today???

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
My maid said they have (police) have closed enter/exit to the bario and many people are being evicted?? I couldn't figure out her explanation for why??? Both Haitians and Dominicans

any idea??

singletravel

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Interesting, I just looked it up on Facebook. But yeah it's true, I would guess that it's because of a very common practice. Something that was a big issue here near where I live in Los Castillos, just a couple of weeks ago. The "barrio" just next to Los Castillos called Marbella where they started to evict people. That is because it's very common, especially when the ownership of a piece of land is doubtful or not publicly clear, that people either just see an abandoned piece of land and start to build on it, and then 10,20,30 years later the owner finally appears and then starts to evict them from their land. Or as in the case of Marbella, people actually bought land by what they "thought" were the real owners. Although at least to my understanding it's very obvious that it's not legal, as they don't give you any legal piece of paper where it states that you own the land, just gives you a receipt that you have bought it from person x. So it's sad, but it's kind of their own fault as in the majority of the cases they are well aware that they aren't buying from the real owners.

Reactions: Russell

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My gardener just called me. He lives there and cannot leave the barrio. The police have barricaded the entrance. No one allowed in or out. It appears it is about land disputes.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
just like anywhere else. Squatters are given an opportunity to leave or they are arrested for trespassing, just as it should be.

Reactions: jd426 and Garyexpat

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Interesting though, that if you look at what people are commenting about this, this is the government's fault. The poor don't have any rights and all that. But not taking into consideration the hard truth of it all, they either just saw a place to construct a home and just did so, without even being bothered that you can't just claim a piece of land and start building. Or they were either just so blinded that they bought land from someone who didn't own the land, or they themselves made some fake property papers, that they thought were going to protect them from this.
Although it's quite obvious what is going on, I still can understand, because many have lived on other's property for decades without any issues at all. So why all of a sudden does an unknown owner appear out of nowhere, when they have let this go on for decades?
My wife has an aunt and her family with their house there, hopefully, they're not affected, although knowing my aunt and her husband (soon to be ex-husband) it wouldn't surprise me that they also have built on someone else's land.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Interesting though, that if you look at what people are commenting about this, this is the government's fault. The poor don't have any rights and all that. But not taking into consideration the hard truth of it all, they either just saw a place to construct a home and just did so, without even being bothered that you can't just claim a piece of land and start building. Or they were either just so blinded that they bought land from someone who didn't own the land, or they themselves made some fake property papers, that they thought were going to protect them from this.
Although it's quite obvious what is going on, I still can understand, because many have lived on other's property for decades without any issues at all. So why all of a sudden does an unknown owner appear out of nowhere, when they have let this go on for decades?
My wife has an aunt and her family with their house there, hopefully, they're not affected, although knowing my aunt and her husband (soon to be ex-husband) it wouldn't surprise me that they also have built on someone else's land.
"Although it's quite obvious what is going on, I still can understand, because many have lived on other's property for decades without any issues at all. So why all of a sudden does an unknown owner appear out of nowhere, when they have let this go on for decades?"

Are you saying that because the "lawful owner" decides one day after years that he/she is going to do something with their land after letting it sit, that they have somehow forfeited their rights and ownership?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
"Although it's quite obvious what is going on, I still can understand, because many have lived on other's property for decades without any issues at all. So why all of a sudden does an unknown owner appear out of nowhere, when they have let this go on for decades?"

Are you saying that because the "lawful owner" decides one day after years that he/she is going to do something with their land after letting it sit, that they have somehow forfeited their rights and ownership?
No, not in any way. Just that it's strange that they take action after sooooo many years.
Because if I had a piece of land and then suddenly I noticed that someone started to build on that land, I wouldn't let them finish live there for 20 years and then come to them and say "hey that's my piece of land, what are you doing there?" Which is something that happens a lot here, the owners aren't bothered at first, and they can even have an oral agreement that the "occupants" can occupy the land and build a house on it, but then something happens and then they are forced to move and leave behind years of hard work.
But they still have their full right to do whatever they want, I'm just saying that it's strange that they keep people live on their property for decades.
Because I have hard to believe that the owners are fully unaware that someone has settled on their land, and then suddenly there are dozens or even hundreds of houses on my property.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Where on the North Coast is this area? I can only find one with this name in the south of the country?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Is this the barrio just west of Cabarete? I think a lot of that land there is government owned(?). It's an environmentally protected wetland area. People just went ahead and built on it.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Is this the barrio just west of Cabarete? I think a lot of that land there is government owned(?). It's an environmentally protected wetland area. People just went ahead and built on it.
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. Cause that's my understand from what happened over here close to Los Castillos, in the area Marbella. The land was government-owned, but then they sold it to a private company and now the private company are planning to build something (hotels?) in that area, so now they want everybody out.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think there's a lot of houses in the Callejon that are in the same situation - the ones down at the end near Las Cuevas, the government controlled ecological park. That whole area back there between La Cienaga and Cabarete is a big lagoon and wetland area. It's one of the reasons the proposed Cabarete bypass road still hasn't been built.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's where I thought the area was located. As for the improper titles, I assume roads were built and utility accounts opened. One would think that neither of those things would be possible for an improperly titled property. But then again maybe not.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Roads and utilities would eventually be needed whether the inhabitants are legally there or not.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A couple years ago Edenorte went into La Cienaga and the Callejon and put meters on all houses. They couldn't care less about your title. If you were using their electric - you were going to pay.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
A couple years ago Edenorte went into La Cienaga and the Callejon and put meters on all houses. They couldn't care less about your title. If you were using their electric - you were going to pay.
Yeah, I've never had to provide any title or anything when making contracts with Edenorte (of course I'm not a homeowner, always lived renting an apartment) Just any kind of ID and that's it.
But that's what I'm saying about the owner's suddenly reacting, be it the government or a private owner. why now? Because it's not only the people living there that are going to "suffer", all the utilities would also have to be removed, and the roads removed, something that most of the time the local municipal have paid for. Which even makes it stranger if it's the government, that they would have allowed the local politicians to build roads and give "authority" to for example Edenorte to put poles and stuff, to now force the residents away.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Because I have hard to believe that the owners are fully unaware that someone has settled on their land, and then suddenly there are dozens or even hundreds of houses on my property.

It all starts with one blue tarp. Then a few pieces of driftwood and scrap tin get added.

You have to realize that when you own undeveloped land, you don't necessarily check on it regularly. There's no need to. And if you do see an illegal shack or two, I think Doms shrug it off, thinking "no harm" being done. They'll just address it later

Reactions: bellakins

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yeah, I've never had to provide any title or anything when making contracts with Edenorte (of course I'm not a homeowner, always lived renting an apartment) Just any kind of ID and that's it.
But that's what I'm saying about the owner's suddenly reacting, be it the government or a private owner. why now? Because it's not only the people living there that are going to "suffer", all the utilities would also have to be removed, and the roads removed, something that most of the time the local municipal have paid for. Which even makes it stranger if it's the government, that they would have allowed the local politicians to build roads and give "authority" to for example Edenorte to put poles and stuff, to now force the residents away.
I don't know, but this isn't the first time I've heard of the government or private owners suddenly booting people out of their houses.

Reactions: Russell

Big

Apr 24, 2019
building on someone else's property is stealing! Many of the large vacant and defunct hotel and resorts on the north coast have 24/7 security to keep the low life squatters out that are looking for a free place to live

Reactions: bellakins