Restaurant Prices Shooting Up

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
You are dead ⚰️ wrong.
That would mean I rep EAST SIDE‼️
Because I have too.
But, I am completely comfortable with those who think that.:ROFLMAO:
I happen to like street food as opposed to fine dining.
I can burn meat on my grill better than most dining establishments can produce.
But step onto the tennis 🎾 court with me and check out my rags and my stick.
Then tell me I am poor.
I am, but it wouldn't bother me unless you beat me 6-0, 6-0.
You see we all have personal preferences and make lifestyle choices.

Why would I leave my home country in order to duplicate the sort of life I had in it❓
I know I was not interested in doing that.
But then again...
Soy tan barrio.
EAST SIDE‼️
Well said!
We all have left a First World country because we do not want to pay the high First World country`s prices.
We are here to pay the Third World country prices.
That is it.
To support the community better give some money directly to three-four local female friends of yours. They will spend on their children. Restaurant owner will just buy a new Me-Be.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Haven't eaten there recently, but a couple weeks ago I was checking out prices on the menus of the restaurants on Cabarete Beach. Taking into consideration the recent 10% devaluation of the pesos, prices there didn't seem much different in USD than they were a year ago. Beers and Cuba Libres were around $2.50-$3.00 and dinners ran between $10-$20. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Yes, and even cheaper if you go happy hour, or to Mojito Bar... 5 bucks for a delicious Sandwich with fries + a super good Mojito. Boca Chica... why even go there? I used to make a stop there when going to Punta Cana from Cabarete, but just hazzle, hazzle from parking to the beach. The only good thing as I see it with Boca Chica is the convenient Burger King. That says a lot.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
This is so ridiculous, where does one begin.
Plato del dias are geared towards working people, as in people who happen to be working at that hour of mid-day.
Are there not places in your home nation that feature "lunch specials"?
It is hardly "eating out".
Look before you leap, or at least, wipe your Crocs upon entry.
whats your point?... you have a very narrow view of reality...eating out is eating away from home...before you attack someone..you might want to find out who they are and where they are really from...in your case I think you are trying to be in 2 places at the same time, when your not anywhere at all...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My point is that Plato del Dia is catered for certain population within the DR community. The lady selling the "pacas" clothing its also designed to be bought by obviously the same circle which financially can only afford and are forced to stay with a Plato del Dia as opposed to a dinner at La Cussina in Santo Domingo, these folks are not able to seat and eat brunch at La Dolceria in Santo Domingo either.

Hence, using them and the Plato del Dia as a gauge to measure and define what's cheap in the DR in terms of economy is egregious at best.

Don't give me wrong; I've too mingled at some of these places but don't have the need to do it as a routine. The ones eating Plato del Dia and buying pacas do so because they have no other mean to have access to anything but to that.

Any Expat living that type of life as routine in the DR doesn't do it for pleasure but for necessity.

You make some valid points. But I don't eat the caterer's food out of necessity, it really is good to the point I am overweight from eating so much of it.

There are other options available locally that are more costly but still quite economical.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Does that description look like any of those places that sell Empanadas or "Plato del dia" or any other of those low price food places? Atleast I don't know any of those places that you described would serve a Cuba Libre....
So all the time I've been writing here I've been taking into account that type of business.

Nothing wrong to have an empanada here and there for jokes and giggles but to have it as part of a daily meal because it would just cost RD$50.00 ?

That isn't budgeting, that isn't cheap, that isn't frugality, that isn't having a taste of the local culture, that is the face of necessity. Sad indeed!

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
You make some valid points. But I don't eat the caterer's food out of necessity, it really is good to the point I am overweight from eating so much of it.

I get it, and am too obsessed with some of the local stuff (dulces de Bani, cashews, etc), I too here and there stop and have a sancocho somewhere, there is a place where empanadas are literally to die for (the cholesterol, carbohydrates and the grease in them :)) near my place but I visit and have one or two once in awhile just for the heck of it, but from there to make a living base on them is too far of a stretch.

The economy and restaurants prices are too distanced from this to compare them, and make a substantiated assessment of how accessible/low prices are right now

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
My point is that Plato del Dia is catered for certain population within the DR community. The lady selling the "pacas" clothing its also designed to be bought by obviously the same circle which financially can only afford and are forced to stay with a Plato del Dia as opposed to a dinner at La Cussina in Santo Domingo, these folks are not able to seat and eat brunch at La Dolceria in Santo Domingo either.

Hence, using them and the Plato del Dia as a gauge to measure and define what's cheap in the DR in terms of economy is egregious at best.

Don't give me wrong; I've too mingled at some of these places but don't have the need to do it as a routine. The ones eating Plato del Dia and buying pacas do so because they have no other mean to have access to anything but to that.

Any Expat living that type of life as routine in the DR doesn't do it for pleasure but for necessity.
I would disagree, I have seen many nice vehicles and well heeled people shopping for used clothes. There are gems to be found !!

Secondly, in theory many could eat at high end restaurants every day. I find that I enjoy it more when its a treat and something special. When I travelled for work a lot I ate well whenever and wherever I wanted to. The novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am not prone to constantly repeating myself, but I will this time:

"Plato del Dias" are geared towards working people, as in people who happen to be working at that hour of mid-day.
To suggest that Plato del Dias are solely based or provided for those of lower economic standing out of necessity is ridiculous, and screams of the pure ignorance and disdain some community members within this forum have for the RD nation, and it's people as a whole. Easy to understand if their sole RD experience is watching Sosua streetwalkers eat an empanada for breakfast or Plato del Dia every day at 12 noon, in between watching their souls and lives drift away, but this is hardly the reality of/for the nation as a whole.
If those same streetwalkers were dining at La Cussina or La Dolceria in Santo Domingo, would this be the measuring stick?

In many avenues, workers either bring their lunch with them, or return home (which is the preference for many) at the mid-day to eat. For others, yes, there are thousands of places that offer Plato del Dias. There are no/zero stigmas attached to them, at least amongst Dominicans. This is a cultural thing. I know doctors, bank presidents, and those possessing sufficient assets who have not one/zero issue with frequenting an establishment that offers Plato del Dias. I reguarly alternately select several employees of mine, to enjoy a good Plato del Dia, and yes, it is appreciated. Just as it would be if I took them to a 4 star dining experience, which I do as well for special occassions.
The prevailing reality based factor is that these smaller run operations are the just the same as "home cooking", and maintain their steady clientele based on the quality of their product to the consumer. So much so, that larger scale supermarkets have in recent times expanded their operations to include...."Platos del Dias" sections.

The ones eating Plato del Dia, have no other means to consume otherwise? Ignorance is surely bliss.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
A successful family lawyer that I know very well shops there and I have gone with him a couple of times, you could never guess.

In Santo Domingo we eat out waaaay too much at nice places and it becomes boring and just a baked in cost as part of your monthly budget. You also see with time that the quality of food is not what you would expect it to be

Many wealthy people pick up quality plato del dia becasue the food is good and there is no glory in throwing your money away just because you can. Many would even order an extra serving of rice and leave it with the less fortunate and Haitian

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
whats your point?... you have a very narrow view of reality...eating out is eating away from home...before you attack someone..you might want to find out who they are and where they are really from...in your case I think you are trying to be in 2 places at the same time, when your not anywhere at all...........

Un pie aqui y.......
Thanks for the invite into who you be, but I'll wait for the Netflix biopic to be released.
Don't try thinking too hard, it's not your strong suit.
Eat out instead.
Plato del Dias will serve you well.

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Another point, the lunch specials are solid convenient food.

Someone who is financially prudent could throw together a lunch at home and bring it to work with them for 30-50 pesos. Left over spaghettis or rice w guandules with an egg in there does the trick.

If you add up the 500 pesos saved a week by doing that you get to 2000 pesos a month which is enough to buy between 50-65 bloques for the house that you are building or the second story that you are adding.

Little sacrifices like this are what I refer to when I talk about moving your family forward. It is possible and incredible respect to those that do.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I would disagree

And I do respect your position.
Secondly, in theory many could eat at high end restaurants every day.

And I and reality in the DR would highly disagree with your assesment
When I travelled for work a lot I ate well whenever and wherever I wanted to. The novelty wears off pretty quickly.

What we're discussing it isn't taylored for your life style in FL where I believe you've posted to be living? We talking DR Plato del Dia and Empanadas from the street corners found everywhere in Santo Domingo.

• Haha
Reactions: Caonabo

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
In Santo Domingo we eat out waaaay too much at nice places and it becomes boring and just a baked in cost as part of your monthly budget.

Of course, everything in life is about balance but I'll pass eating Plato del Dia everyday from street vendors.
Someone who is financially prudent could throw together a lunch at home and bring it to work with them for 30-50 pesos. Left over spaghettis or rice w guandules with an egg in there does the trick.

And welcome Diabetes, Cholesterol and BP with open arms. Those 30-50 will exponentially cost you millions and eventually your life. One more reason why to stay away from Platos del Dia. Unhealthy, and only God knows about the hygiene practiced while cooking it?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010

What we're discussing it isn't taylored for your life style in FL where I believe you've posted to be living? We talking DR Plato del Dia and Empanadas from the street corners found everywhere in Santo Domingo.

Your opinion :) The only thing I will call you out on is that if you don't think that there are many, many, many people in SD who can go to any restaurant they want, whenever they want, then clearly our experiences are very different

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This thread is a perfect example of the differing views of those who are:

Dominican born and raised
Very long time residents of DR
Those in Santo Domingo
Those on north coast
Those who associate with middle class and up
Those who associate with the poor
Those who visit
Those who think they know everything and really don’t.

It’s also an example of a topic going off course. We’re supposed to be discussing the increasing costs of dining out in DR.

I’ll leave it open to see if we can return to the OP. What do you think?

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380. Pechuga a la Plancha for just under RD$ 900. A soda for RD$ 200. bocana.menuseguro.com.do in case anyone doesn't believe me. This place used to be cheap and cheerful, I'm pretty sure they have doubled their prices in the last 12 months. Lunch for four adults and a couple kids came in at a few pesos under RD$ 10,000, and it was basic, nothing to write home about. Small portions, nothing fancy.

A little walk down the beach showed that prices are similar in other places. Today's special of pasta carbonara in one place for "just" RD$ 600 plus tax and service so $768 in total. And in Santo Domingo itself it's the same story. A cuba libre for RD$ 300 plus tax and service in Plaza España so RD$ 384 in total. A pizza in the Conde for RD$ 895 plus tax and service, so RD$ 1145 in total.

Can't see that jacking up the prices this high is going to help bring the tourists back.
Many tourists coming down may not notice those prices to be so expensive.. with the exchange on the us$ or euro, those prices will not matter when they are sipping their cuba libre at the beach...

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This thread is a perfect example of the differing views of those who are:

Dominican born and raised
Very long time residents of DR
Those in Santo Domingo
Those on north coast
Those who associate with middle class and up
Those who associate with the poor
Those who visit
Those who think they know everything and really don’t.

It’s also an example of a topic going off course. We’re supposed to be discussing the increasing costs of dining out in DR.

I’ll leave it open to see if we can return to the OP. What do you think?

The only specific differences I have viewed in response to restaurant prices rising, were minimal, in direct relation to food providers raising theirs, and the hosts would explain as such. If the item costs the host to pay 10-15 pesos more, how is it incorrect to pass this onto the consumer? It is not the hosts's fault.
I find it a bit duplicitous, that a person supposedly involved somewhat in the service industry would not understand this.
For the record, Presidente beer prices that increased prior to December, are still selling at that increased level.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I actually have not engaged in sit down dining very much since the COVID-19 crisis.
In my favorite restaurants I have not noticed much difference in prices.
But to be honest, I do not really pay much attention to the price if it a place that I like and it has maintained it's quality.
There is a Parada along the route from Santo Domingo to Santiago that I always used to stop at when I made the trip.
Their prices went up and the quality of the food went down.
I no longer stop there.

Plato del Dias
I am not prone to constantly repeating myself, but I will this time:

"Plato del Dias" are geared towards working people, as in people who happen to be working at that hour of mid-day.
To suggest that Plato del Dias are solely based or provided for those of lower economic standing out of necessity is ridiculous, and screams of the pure ignorance and disdain some community members within this forum have for the RD nation, and it's people as a whole. Easy to understand if their sole RD experience is watching Sosua streetwalkers eat an empanada for breakfast or Plato del Dia every day at 12 noon, in between watching their souls and lives drift away, but this is hardly the reality of/for the nation as a whole.
If those same streetwalkers were dining at La Cussina or La Dolceria in Santo Domingo, would this be the measuring stick?
In this particular case, I appreciate that you threw up a very informative post.
For me that paragraph is a straight walk off grand slam ⚾‼️
I have eaten "Plato del Dias" because they looked good.
Where I just happened to be.
I consider myself a working person.
I work hard at doing as little as possible better than anyone else.
Subway has a sandwich special for each day of the week.
When I'm close to one and hungry for a sandwich I check the day of the week and see if the offering appeals to me.
If it does I purchase it.
If it does not, I am still able to buy a sandwich from Subway.
Even with my meger resources.
I have not noticed a change in prices there.

Story
It was almost 15 years ago when I first visited 🇩🇴 .
Stayed in a tourist zone.
Met someone for lunch.
She was indeed a working person (real job-dirty 🧠 need not apply)
She took me to a restaurant where it was 100 DOP for good food and a lot of it.
People dressed in all types a way of were up in there.
I ate there a couple of more times during my visit.
I could not believe I had been paying 300 DOP ⬆️ for lunch.
It was a 👁️ opening and insightful experience.

I have noticed that the average prices I pay for distilled spirits at the retail level have been going up.
If they have also 📈 on the wholesale level then that would explain the increases in drink 🥃 prices restaurants are charging.
I keep a full bar in my home for just that reason.
And that I have not sat down at a place (here in 🇩🇴 ) that can make any of my favorites better than I can.
🥃🥃

Reactions: rfp and JD Jones

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Many wealthy people pick up quality plato del dia becasue the food is good and there is no glory in throwing your money away just because you can.

There isn't nothing more comparon that a Dominican; that be dressing up or eating out and those with the monies to do it would not be picking anything at any Chinese joint selling Platos del Dia in Av Duarte or any place alike, count on that.

The only thing I will call you out on is that if you don't think that there are many, many, many people in SD who can go to any restaurant they want, whenever they want, then clearly our experiences are very different

To the opposite, I do believe that this country is totally ubalanced with the wealth; there are many, and I mean many wealthy Dominicans who actually opt to only dine at the best restaurants in town, and as you can see; these two replies of yours contradict each other. ;)

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The idea that the rich only do things some type a way is completely bogus.

I am on EAST SIDE ‼️
At a Hospital.
Sitting outside waiting for the person I gave a ride to return.
What do I see rolling thru the parking lot...
Gentleman in a suit...
Driving a shinny S class...
Blasting Bachata...
One hand on the steering wheel...
Empanada in the other.

Everyone has their different levels of restaurants they like to dine at.
Let us be honest with ourselves.
No matter what the price level of the restaurant where someone is dining (or take out)
They at least have enough money for that one purchase.
Even if the prices have gone up.