Importing a car to DR

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
I've tried finding some threads but did not find any recent posts on this topic. I would like to buy a car in the US and ship it but the process seems a bit confusing. Does anyone have any experience with this topic? I plan on buying a 2016 vehicle. Any help would be welcome. Thanks

Reactions: DrewTX
Jan 9, 2004
I've tried finding some threads but did not find any recent posts on this topic. I would like to buy a car in the US and ship it but the process seems a bit confusing. Does anyone have any experience with this topic? I plan on buying a 2016 vehicle. Any help would be welcome. Thanks
Better get a move on looking for one then. 2016 can only be imported to the DR until June 30, 2022.

You can ship it either RORO (roll on roll off) or via container (more expensive)

Taxes are high unless you bring it in under one of two lower tax regimes.......either entry with your approved residency application or as returning Dominican. There are other ways to bring it in with lower taxes, but those are the two most common.

If you just want to bring it in and do not have the benefit of a tax reduction regime............expect to pay 50% more to land it. Not 50% more of what you paid for it, but 50% of the value as determined by Aduana.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
Not cheap - or easy....

Better to buy here from a reliable seller...IMO
The problem with that is dealers ask for more and the miles are usually higher. I am a DR Citizen and I believe I can bring it as a retired person since I'm not working at the moment. Your thoughts

Jan 9, 2004
The problem with that is dealers ask for more and the miles are usually higher. I am a DR Citizen and I believe I can bring it as a retired person since I'm not working at the moment. Your thoughts
By all means if you can avail yourself of the discounts for a returning Dominican.............you should. Huge tax breaks...........but the vehicle must have been titled and registered in your name for the year prior to entry.

Additionally, if allowed in under a returning Dominican tax regimen, the title is stamped that it cannot be sold or transferred for a period of three years.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
By all means if you can avail yourself of the discounts for a returning Dominican.............you should. Huge tax breaks...........but the vehicle must have been titled and registered in your name for the year prior to entry.

Additionally, if allowed in under a returning Dominican tax regimen, the title is stamped that it cannot be sold or transferred for a period of three years.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Can you clarify the part stating that is has to be titled and registered for the year prior? Are you saying I cant buy it and bring it here, I would have to wait a year?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
And you have to prove you haven’t spent 6 months or more in DR during past 2 years prior to car arriving

Jan 9, 2004
Can you clarify the part stating that is has to be titled and registered for the year prior? Are you saying I cant buy it and bring it here, I would have to wait a year?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying...........that is, if you wish to utilize the tax concession given to a returning Dominican.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not always true

I have a man who can help you
I have bought 2 cars thru him... both excellent and low miles

Much less headache..... and instant...

That 1 yr rule is a tough one.... then the taxes

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
Not always true

I have a man who can help you
I have bought 2 cars thru him... both excellent and low miles

Much less headache..... and instant...

That 1 yr rule is a tough one.... then the taxes
Thx William. I'm looking for a specific vehicle. Maybe he can help.

miles408

Apr 4, 2016

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Who provides the returning Dominican certification? Aduana?

Jan 9, 2004
Who provides the returning Dominican certification? Aduana?
Ultimately Aduana is the gatekeeper and collector, but it may first have to be filed/approved with migracion.

I know of the process, but not the procedures.

A moderator AE has done it before. Perhaps she will she this and weigh in.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ultimately Aduana is the gatekeeper and collector, but it may first have to be filed/approved with migracion.

I know of the process, but not the procedures.

A moderator AE has done it before. Perhaps she will she this and weigh in.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Proof had to be submitted that Mr AE had not spent 6 months in DR during the prior 24 months of the car’s arrival.

Normally all that’s necessary is your passport showing entradas and salidas, but his had been renewed and old one not returned to him (it was
so he couldn’t do that.

He ended up going to the immigration and passport office in La Féria, and with his cedula they were able to document all his arrivals and departures. He was getting ready to retire at that point, so we’d only been in DR a month or two each year.

We used a woman in SD who handled everything, for a nominal amount ($250-300 if I remember correctly).

miles408

Apr 4, 2016
Proof had to be submitted that Mr AE had not spent 6 months in DR during the prior 24 months of the car’s arrival.

Normally all that’s necessary is your passport showing entradas and salidas, but his had been renewed and old one not returned to him (it was
so he couldn’t do that.

He ended up going to the immigration and passport office in La Féria, and with his cedula they were able to document all his arrivals and departures. He was getting ready to retire at that point, so we’d only been in DR a month or two each year.

We used a woman in SD who handled everything, for a nominal amount ($250-300 if I remember correctly).
Thanks for this useful information!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Can someone please tell me what do they look at, the date the vehicle was manufactured or do they look at the date on the vehicle’s title?